PDA

View Full Version : dry fly purist

ttas67
11-23-2006, 02:35 PM
reading about everyones favorite flies got me thinking about something. I never use nymphs. I understand there are people who are "dry fly purists" and think it is more pure and traditional to use only dries, upstream, to rising fish. I don't hold any such view, I simply just don't enjoy fishing as much when i can't see them take the fly. except in times of extreme temp conditions, If i really think about presentation, I can almost always get a rise. rather than switching to a nymph or tying on a dropper, it becomes like a mission to get them to take a dry. does anyone else feel this way? I'm interested to know what some of you guys opinions are.

David Knapp
11-23-2006, 04:47 PM
I'm too lazy to be constantly drying out a dry fly, hence the main reason I fish nymphs for the most part... 8-)

Deedub
11-23-2006, 06:34 PM
I don't fish the Mountains enough and haven't had that much luck on dries on tailwaters so I usually go with nymphs too. I would rather see the fish rise and take the fly...Lord knows I've missed my share of fish because of being too slow with a nymph. The only time I've had luck w/ dries is in the Smokies.

dw

RFowler
11-23-2006, 08:21 PM
I'm not going to limit myself to enjoying only one facet of this sport. As far as prospecting goes, I would rather use a nymph. If I'm fishing a hatch, I'd rather use a dry. If I feel like slingin' a streamer I'll do that, too. I enjoy it all. A "dry fly purist" is one sided. I'd rather be multifaceted. I guess a "dry fly purist" would pass on a saltwater trip. I look at it this way, I would rather be on the water after some kind of fish than sitting at home thinking about it.

nofishinthatriver
11-24-2006, 01:41 AM
Keep it dry with me...there is something magical with a bow taking it on the top. Now...is it the purest form?? I would have to say some type of spearfishing would be the purist form... ;D