PDA

View Full Version : Carp Fishing

Troutman
11-26-2006, 10:08 PM
I know that several of you MB posters like to occasionaly FF for Carp. I like to also. I was wondering what is the best Fly to use for them when they are not actively feeding? I usually go with the standard black or brown bugger but have caught them by accident with a small white wooly bugger when fishing for Smallies. I know some people like to chum them up to the top with popcorn over on the TN river in Knoxville but those fish are used to being fed. I starting thinking about them again after viewing the new Carp photo by Bob Clouser on the WW pict board. They sure are fun to catch even if they aren't much to look at.

troutwag
11-28-2006, 11:47 PM
G if they are not feeding try an M-80! No, I don't know what is better than the olive bugger in about a size 10. Been up Sam's Creek lately?
Best,
John

ttas67
12-02-2006, 10:43 PM
when I ride my bike on third creek greenway, I often see carp the size of my leg hovering near the surface. I've contemplated throwing a fly to them before, but I'm afraid to touch that water. there are signs all along third creek that say something along the lines of "biohazard". plus the creek smells horrendous. like there's dead bodies in there .... in fact, I think they actually do find a dead body or two in there every so often. about 50 yards down, the creek empties into the tennessee river. on any given day you can find 3-4 people fishing. I bet they're down there catching some of those polluted carp! eeewwwww! that being said, I think I might give it a whirl next summer.

ttas67
12-02-2006, 10:49 PM
speaking of popcorn, heres my chance to actually design an effective fly. the popcorn fly.

RFowler
12-03-2006, 03:11 PM
Where is third creek greenway, ttas67? UT drops bodies somewhere along the Tennessee river for their forensic science students.

Troutman
12-03-2006, 04:19 PM
I believe the popcorn fly has already been invented. There used to be a couple of guys who worked at the Creel in Knoxville that would take a john boat down along Calhouns on the TN river and catch some very large carp with it. It is a very simple pattern but spinning deer hair is difficult for me. Take some dyed yellow deer or elk hair and spin it on the hook like you would for a muddler minnow or bass popper and trim it to shape. Thats it. You can make a breadfly by using white deer hair also just trim it into a flat shape. I am looking for a good pattern to use on carp in the rivers when they are not rooting around and actively feeding. Carp can be very hard to catch. Anybody care to share some secrets?

ttas67
12-03-2006, 07:39 PM
I access the greenway at sutherland ave. it runs through tyson park and down by the rugby field, by ut's ag campus around the trial gardens where it dumps into the river. the body farm would be on down the river some, around ut hospital I think. as far as a popcorn imitation, I don't tie flies (yet) but I was thinking elk hair spun and trimmed down to an irregular shape would do great. but I guess they already did it! but in all seriousness, I understand people were catching them on cicada patterns during the massive cicada hatch a couple years ago. that's only every so many years though. I bet they'd eat a san juan worm.

buckeyetrouter
12-11-2006, 08:49 PM
I will get you a pic of the fly they use back here in Ohio. They tie them up to look like a mulberry and the carp seem to love them. Try www.madriveroutfitters.com
Brian up there has even taken Flip Pallot to a few lakes in souther Ohio and used this pattern for carp.....

they are a blast on fly rods......

buckeyetrouter
8-)Go Bucks [smiley=vrolijk_26.gif] [smiley=vrolijk_26.gif]

ttas67
12-12-2006, 01:21 AM
hey, you better watch that buckeye talk here in vol country. >:(

Troutman
12-13-2006, 10:11 AM
Thanks Buckeyetrouter for the post on carp patterns. I will have to try some of them next year. Most of the patterns look good for Smallies also!
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *Troutman

buckeyetrouter
12-19-2006, 07:38 PM
hey ttas67..... I have 3 favorite teams, the buckeyes, the vols, and whoever plays the wolverines

buckeyetrouter

ttas67
12-19-2006, 09:54 PM
yeah, my grandparents live just outside of columbus, so every year for christmas I recieved a tshirt, hat, or something with the ohio state logo on it. I probably owned as much buckeye gear as ut stuff. so even though I don't really follow them, I'm always secretly rooting for them. 8-)

Flat Fly n
01-07-2007, 05:14 PM
Ah ye that distain the "poor man's redfish". I have caught the 10# brown (pictures to prove) and I have caught an 8# redfish, all on flies, but for a real blast one needs to try the lowly carp.

One method of course is Calhoun's. I stumpled on a rather quick and effective fly by tying on Lefty's Indicator in white (or was that biscuit color) to a stout hook and casting out while the native childred chum them up while hanging out over the railing. Be careful not to hook said children of father that might be packing.

Number two and of course the most challenging is the "Willow fly" hatch that takes place on many lakes around Knoxville and the South. Carp will cruise the shoreline looking for shucks and duns. The "old rubber lip" beast will selectively snub a bad immation in a New York minute. So don't go without large flies that float well, and the ability to cast in front of a cruising fish without spooking it.

Thirdly, one needs only to check out this website to not feel quilty about fishing for and catching carp. If you would like to book a trip in and around July let me know. I would gladly do it for half price of what these guys go for with the same kind of boat. I guess you think this might be a joke, but my friend in Washington state that has flyfished for 25 years couldn't quit asking about carp when we meet up this past summer.

Here's the website........buy yourself a hat, feel proud, and go fish, just don't touch!

http://www.wyomingflyfishing.com/carp_fly_fishing_report.aspx

Flat Fly'n

Jswitow
01-12-2007, 03:01 PM
Shoot there's nothing to handling a carp. They're not as slimy as a trout! But........ they aint pretty!
Best,
John

Flat Fly n
01-13-2007, 11:43 AM
A boga grip and a pair of pliers to remove the fly is my method!

Tight lines and screaming reels,
Flat Fly'n

BuckeyeRick
02-13-2007, 12:15 PM
Hey what's wrong with a dead body floating by and chumming the water. Any advantage is a good thing.
The Mulberry fly is great for under a Mulberry tree. All you need to do is plunk it loudly down - easy to fish. I agree with buckeyetrouter - check out the Mad River Outfitters site - check out the BH Lil Bugger for active fish. A lot of people were having success with Galloup's Swimming Mayfly and I have had success with small crayfish imitations.

Troutman
02-13-2007, 03:50 PM
I need to research what a Mulberry tree looks like.
Do they keep leaves in the winter?
I attached a pict. of a typical carp from the W.Prong of the L. Pigeon river in Sevierville. I haven't had much luck enticing the "big" carp to a fly. They really can be picky. Do you use any kind of cover scent to a fly like the Bass fishermen do with jigs for Bass?
I have thought about trying it on a bugger or crayfish pattern just to see if it helps.
I caught this carp on a size 8 lead dumbell eyed black bugger tied with rabbit strips.

Byron Begley
02-13-2007, 04:12 PM
It's funny, I just finished shooting pictures of some carp flies for the online catalog. Listen to these patterns: Mulberry Egg, Carp Tease Black, Carp Tease Olive, Passion Fruit Mulberry, Bread Crumb and Popcorn Ball. Now I'm not, by any stretch encouraging you to go out and buy these. I haven't personally tested them but you can look at them next time you are in the shop.

Byron

BuckeyeRick
02-15-2007, 02:52 PM
http://www.hort.purdue.edu/ext/senior/fruits/mulbe1.htm

The 3 photos will show you the fruit, the tree, and the leaves. There is also a White version, but not as common. I believe they fruit out in June, so the "Mulberry season" is not real long - about as long as the "Cottonwood Seed season". And yes, there is a Cottonwood fly. We are a strange group!

Troutman
02-15-2007, 03:59 PM
Thanks, I googled mulberry trees the other night at home and found that site also. I will have to look for them along the riverbanks the next time I get the kayak out on the local rivers.

rainshaker
02-16-2007, 03:49 AM
Very interesting fly, the Mulberry

http://www.madriveroutfitters.com/store/images/products/flymulberrys.jpg

Big Bad Wulff
04-04-2007, 09:05 PM
"biohazard".....must have a hose with running, clean water going in it ;)