PDA

View Full Version : Egg pattern and streamer *flies --

Fishmore
11-27-2006, 11:15 PM
I am looking forward to fishing with some folks who fish with Egg Patterns and/or streamers *(wooly buggers etc) -- big water like the clinch or holston... i like the "non standard" fly selection when they are productive...

Do any of you use these patterns? *Can you share any tips?

thanks

fishmore

Troutman
11-27-2006, 11:46 PM
I have used egg patterns for years. The only color I tie is Peach. They are not considered real flies by some fishermen but they have caught fish when nothing else seems to work. I fish them in tandem with usually a small prince or hairs ear and in the past few years I have added them to the head of black buggers and girdle bugs. I guess it imitates a stonefly or baitfish stealing eggs from a redd.
Streamer fishing is second only to Dry Fly fishing. I like the visual aspect of a sipping trout on a Dry and also having an unexpected fish almost jerk the rod from your hand when swinging a streamer. I am sure others probably feel the same.
Gary

RFowler
11-28-2006, 09:04 PM
Fishing big streamers from a boat is one of my favorites. When everyone else is complaining about the water releases that is when I like to be out there. ;) Don't be afraid to go BIG. I will throw flies up to 8/0 for trout. I am boatless at the moment but hope to be getting another soon. I'll get in touch if you'd like to get out there with me some. Nothing like getting the interest of some of the biggest fish in the river. It's not for everybody because it requires a higher skill level. Glad to meet a couple of fellars that like it!

kylemc
11-28-2006, 11:44 PM
Streamer freak here! ;D Is the Clacka gone Rfowler? :-?

Kyle

troutwag
11-29-2006, 12:14 AM
I love em too particularly this time of year! I can work the oars too!
I use a six weight and sink most of the time with the streamers. I throw 2 and 4's alot but my biggest fish came on a size 6 Clouser variant with rabbit strip, epoxy coated tinsel body. Probably just happened to be the fly that was on at the time but I am pretty partial to that fly. Color is mostly olive.

I will throw them to the head of a pool or actually above it so that the fly has a chance to sink, then lead the fly with the rod to keep a pretty good connection for strike detection. Another tactic is to make a similar cast but allow a slight belly to make a j as the line enters the water. Always let the streamer hang for maybe 30 seconds at the bottom the strip back in short erratic strips to recast.
You can also stop the fly to turn it (light it up!)in front of likely spots, or fish (if you see one!)
Good Luck, Persistance makes luck though ;)
John

hw3
11-29-2006, 03:53 PM
Egg just above wolly bugger known as egg sucking leech out west. Actually come tied that way, but have not seen any with any bead heads, and must use sink tip or line or weight. Worked well for me on alpine lakes in the Rockies. Watson

RFowler
11-29-2006, 07:19 PM
Yeah, Kyle, I'm a streamer freak, but not by common definition. Some people fish them but they're not serious. You show me somebody that frequently used his/her 8 or 9wt trout fishing and THAT'S the streamer FREAK I think of. ;D I relish variety.

Yep, sold the Clacka. :'( Hoping to get a raft soon so I can get back at it. I'm still stuck in jawja.

kylemc
12-03-2006, 10:14 PM
Yeah, Kyle, I'm a streamer freak, but not by common definition. *Some people fish them but they're not serious. *You show me somebody that frequently used his/her 8 or 9wt trout fishing and THAT'S the streamer FREAK I think of. ;D *I relish variety.

Yep, sold the Clacka. :'( *Hoping to get a raft soon so I can get back at it. *I'm still stuck in jawja. *

I here ya R. Come on up from Jawja.You have a FRONT seat in my raft anytime :)

twnurse2k
12-03-2006, 11:14 PM
I had a blast up on Paint Creek during the delayed harvest this year when I could not get the stockers to hit anything. Even the venerated Greenie Weenie wasn't interesting to them. Finially, spotting what I thought was a bottom feeder, I bounced a black woolly bugger off it's nose and the fisht was on!
In fifteen minutes I had caught two 14 inch rainbows and one ten incher. My personal biggest trout on a fly rod. Needless to say I always find a deep pool or mill dam to thow streamers into around sunset after a day of fishing. Gotta be a big brown out there with my name on it.

Merry Christmas,
Tony

RFowler
12-05-2006, 11:41 PM
Thank you, kindly. Mr. Greene by God, county! ;) We do need to get together and hit it, sometime!

Troutman
12-06-2006, 09:44 AM
Speaking of using LARGE streamer flies, check out the NOV/DEC. issue of American Angler magazine. There is a good article on super-sized streamers. I have tyed and used Maribou Muddlers alot in a size #6 and #4 but does anybody tie an articulated baitfish pattern? I have seen them in flyshops out West but not anywhere locally.
RFowler, I am sure you have probably used them or know how to tie them. Does a Shad or trout pattern *work best for Browns in a Tailwater?

RFowler
12-06-2006, 04:53 PM
With all due respect to James, (the one that wrote that article) the article falls short on several key points. First, you need a boat, second, I don't use large streamers unless there is generation. Third, with the lines he's throwing (unless it's very slow and shallow) he's not even going to get a few inches under the surface where I usually fish. I fish bank structure some but I get more action from structure in the middle of the river)rock piles and shelves, sandy bottoms, creek mouths (and surrounding areas.) Certain areas on some rivers are better for bangin' the banks. When I'm fishng the middle of the river I'm trying to get the fly on the bottom and keep it there for as long as possible. I cast out beside the boat 90 degrees and count it down. I use lines that sink at a specific rate according to the water I'm fishing. I basically don't fish with anything less than a 350 grain during generation. After I make a cast I'll count it down to where I think it's close to the bottom. I'll use this technique over and over until I find some fish. I can lose as many as 10 flies on a streamer trip. Especially on certain sections of the South Holston. But a lot of the time I'll use 20+ pound test and it will straighten the hook. The key to finding big fish is to work as much water as possible. This means lots of casts with heavy equipment. It's very hard to do without a good oarsman. It's not for everybody but moving big 10+ pound fish is very possible. I've seen quite a few of these fish myself. I catch 4-5 pound fish pretty regular on these trips but I'm after fish much larger than this. A particular boat accounts for a lot in this kind of fishing. I'll have a different set-up when I return to it.

Troutman, I carry lots of different streamers in my box. None of them are popular outside of clousers. For anything articulating I'll use rabbit or use a Todd's Wiggle Minnow. Send me your address and I'll send you one of Todd's flies. They're like little jerk baits for flyrods. They can be hot or cold, though. As far as a shad or a trout pattern goes. I use both. Both can be very deadly. If you know of a shad kill, wait for the week after the kill is over. ;)

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2004-11/878937/pigclinchbow.jpg

This bow came on a rainbow puglisi pattern that's about 4-5" long to match the fingerlings TWRA stocks in the Clinch. Not a real big fish but it was around 25". I had my friend Jeremey (waterborn) fishing about 20ft off the bank. He was just flipping the fly, letting it sink a little and fishing it very slow. I've moved very big fish on the Clinch but haven't had any good hook-ups yet. Getting hook-ups on very large fish is extremely difficult. Like I was saying before, it is very difficult to fish this way by yourself. A good oarsman is very much needed. A boat with a motor is even better!

A friend and I get very serious about this kind of fishing. It will sharpen your skills to the point where saltwater applications are not difficult.

Hugh Hartsell
12-06-2006, 05:42 PM
:) Guys, I hope that Rusty doesn't mind, but I thought that I would show you a little more of his expertise with a streamer. He's extremely good at fishing this method. This fish is somewhere in the range of 23-25in. I hope you enjoy it.
Hugh
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y262/HughHartsell/August222004_ClinchRiver_Rustys2025.jpg

Byron Begley
12-06-2006, 07:15 PM
Rusty,

Don't forget to tell them about leaving your Puglisi flies on the dashboard of your truck in the hot sun. ;D

Byron

RFowler
12-06-2006, 08:24 PM
I don't mind, Hugh. *That 'bow was probably around 22". *We've hooked quite a few that size and over while fishing together haven't we bud. *:) *Someone recently had a good explanation on why fish miss streamers so much. *He said that when they are looking up into the sun that they may be having a hard time keeping track of it because of reflection (sun.) *It makes good sense because I've certainly had more misses than hook-ups. *It's heartbreaking to watch a 5+ pound fish miss the fly.

I was fishing the Clinch one day on a certain stretch and had a big rainbow (6-7lbs) come up within 15 feet of my boat and take the fly. *I set the hook but it didn't sink. *I kept on fishing the rest of the float with that fly without checking it for dullness. *When I broke the rig down at the take out I noticed my hook point was dull. *Most likely from rubbing a rock or something else during the float. *Needless to say, I don't make that mistake anymore. *Always give your hooks close attention on these big streamers. *Big fish come too few and far between to miss one on account of a dull hook. *The next time I went out there Hugh was with me. *I was on top of the same stretch of water and a fish took. *I nearly flew out of the boat I was so excited, I was like a bottle rocket with the fuse lit before he took. *It was a much smaller fish than the big guy.

Yeah, Byron. *It's a good idea to keep those puglisi flies out of the sun. *;) *I tied some big 11-12" P-flies last year and took them by to show the gang at LRO. *I left them on the truck dash and they shrunk down to around 8 - 9". *:) I use those big flies for stripers, and somtimes trout. *;) *I had the opportunity to fish the Hiwassee for them a few times this year but I had to row (it was very tiring due to not rowing much this year.) *I did move one big stripe that had to have gone well over 25lbs. *I ran out of room. *He came right up to the boat and I froze the fly. *He put his nose on the fly and he then saw me move my hand. *Back to the depths he went. *Biggatrout (don) was shocked. :) *I'd really like to have more time fishing for them on the Hiwassee. *Other, smaller flies didn't move one fish.

kylemc
12-07-2006, 10:57 AM
Rusty,We moved several stripers on the HI tis year with Wiggle minnows(rainbow).We went to trout fish.Trout fished the first day.Then the rest of the time put in at Towee with nothin but 8wts in the boat 8-).

Kyle

RFowler
12-07-2006, 03:14 PM
Kyle,
I've tried to send you 3 PM's but I got an error notice on each of them. I'll shoot you one on SEFFF.

kylemc
12-07-2006, 04:02 PM
Got it Rusty :)