PDA

View Full Version : farmers almanac

ttas67
11-30-2006, 12:35 AM
speaking of cows standing, does anyone ever look at one of those old farmers almanac calenders that tell you what kind of fishing day its going to be? when I was a kid, my dad always had one of those, and best I can remember, it proved to be fairly accurate. does anyone here even know what I'm talking about?

ttas67
11-30-2006, 12:46 AM
my father also taught me this: red sky by night, sailors delight, red sky by morning, sailors warning. if you're not familiar with that statement, what it means is if the sunset lights the sky up all red, the weather the next day will be perfect. if the sunrise makes the sky red, you will have bad weather that day. I've found this to be true.

Grumpy
11-30-2006, 09:13 AM
There are 3 times to go fishing,
when it's raining & when it ain't,
anyday that ends with an "Y" ;)

The Almanac is basing their days around the moon phases, it is pretty accurate, you can also find the tables in some fishing & hunting mags.
Many moons ago, i used to schedule my vacations around the best weeks of the year, kids changed that for me, i can barely afford a vacation :o

Grumpy

kytroutman
11-30-2006, 10:19 AM
I feel your pain Grumpy. If we weren't spending on the kids, we would be buying fly rods, reels, scheduling vacations to Yellowstone, etc.

geerona
11-30-2006, 11:35 AM
I read the fishing report about every day even though I live in Indiana and had to chuckle about the raising/falling barometer, the cows standing/laying down. I was so close to commenting yesterday but didn't. Now the red sky at morning and night and the farmers almanac have been added into the equation. I truly believe all of these have some effect on the fishing. My fishing buddy has taken the cow prediction a a step farther. If there are 100 cows in the field and 25 are laying down the chance of rain is 25%, 50 cows laying 50%, you get the picture.

Unfortunately for me I have found there are only 2 times I can count on the fish biting. Those times are just before I get there and just after I leave. So if you know my vehicle and see it in the park next year just wait until you see me leaving and grab your rods! If you see me pulling off you might as well pack it in until you see me leave.

In all honesty I probably do better than a few and not as well as many. I try to read the fishing report daily and always visit message board. Even though I am 450 miles away I feel connected. LRO, GSMNP and this board are all great places to be.

Best Wishes, gary <*))))><

Rog 1
11-30-2006, 12:58 PM
I have never had a "bad" day in the mountains...some have been better than others....but all memorable.....can't catch them if you are not on the water.