PDA

View Full Version : what kina trout?

justincraneman
12-06-2006, 03:08 PM
hey! check out the trout i caught in roan mountain on the photo board.

who knows what kinda trout? I'm pretty sure it was a wild fish.

Justin

ijsouth
12-06-2006, 03:39 PM
Not that I'm any ichthyologist, but intuition told me it was a golden trout...I googled it, and it looks like a dead ringer for your fish.

From what little I know about them, I think they're normally a high-altitude fish.

Troutman
12-06-2006, 04:21 PM
I would guess a Rainbow/Heinz 57 hybrid. TWRA region 4 website has lots of local fish ID photos but nothing like this one. You could always email Rick Biven or Jim Habera. They are the Fisheries Biologist for TWRA and I know Rick spends alot of time on the Doe, Watauga and other streams up there. The website is www.twraregion4.org * * Look under contact us for Rick and Jim.

ttas67
12-07-2006, 01:02 AM
the few times i've fished in pennsylvania i've seen a few golden/white colored trout swimming around in the crystal clear water. I've asked a few people up there about them and have gotten everything from "albino" to "that's not a trout". I've never caught or seen one out of the water, but I'd say its the same thing. my uneducated guess would be that it is some kind of albino.

ttas67
12-07-2006, 01:08 AM
this site has info on blue trout (what?), albino trout, and a genetically modified golden trout originating from west virginia. interesting

http://www.rainbowrun.net/troutinfo.htm

Kytroutbum
12-07-2006, 01:13 AM
Looks like a Golden or a golden rainbow hybrid. West Virginia stocks or used to stock Goldens. I believe there that goldens and rainbow are very closely related and have no problem interbreeding similar to Rainbows and Cutts- producing Cuttbows. I think I read someplace :-? where Goldens were originally rainbows that became isolated in the Sierra's from most of the other rainbow population then evolved slightly different characteristics through time.

moflyer3
12-07-2006, 04:38 PM
caught a golden in WV but was pretty small (9 inches or so). Cant really tell if this is a "larger" version of what I caught but I would bet it is. Nice catch regardless. Roan Mountain?? Never heard of that.

ttas67
12-08-2006, 01:00 AM
I have 2 questions about roan mountain. is the fishing good, and if so how do I get there? ;D