PDA

View Full Version : F

UTKFlyFisher
12-09-2006, 10:41 PM
Where do you think its the best to fish in Tennessee?

David Knapp
12-09-2006, 10:55 PM
Man, this is a tough one. I think it really depends on what you're looking for. Tailwaters will generally give up larger fish and the fish are probably consistently easier to catch there. However, there is something that keeps me going back to the mountains. I consider the Smokies streams my "home waters" because I fish them the most and that is where I learned fly fishing so they get my pick. Definately a personal opinion though, you can't go wrong with any of the streams mentioned if you go at the right time...

Kevin_Thomas
12-09-2006, 11:07 PM
I'll second PA on the Smokies! I've not fished tailwaters, maybe because the fish are not what I'm really after... I'm gonna try the Clinch one day, I'm just not in a big rush.

Kevin

ttas67
12-10-2006, 01:57 AM
PA is right. I fish the clinch occasionally and like it, but I'll have to say the smokies is my favorite. the thing about the smokies is that it never gets old. I can fish small streams, wide streams, plunge pools, riffles, hike in backcountry, or "park and fish". dries or nymphs, terrestrials or streamers. abrams or greenbriar? tremont or elkmont? tennessee or carolina? maybe just a quick trip to metcalf bottoms. do I want to wear my waders today or just wet wade? should I wear my full vest or just a lanyard? the park offers endless varieties and many choices. I don't even have to buy a trout stamp! also I get to stop in LRO. Even when I don't particularly need anything, I'll still buy a couple of flies or something just for the heck of it.

doghaircaddis
12-10-2006, 02:15 AM
Fishing in the park is the best. As ttas67 said, the park offers so many options...and wherever you're at, you're surrounded by stunning scenery. I love being able to hike in and get away from the crowds.

Not to mention the splendor of catching wild trout.

Woody
12-10-2006, 06:56 PM
Smokies are inspirining and my personal first choice. Its one of the toughest places in the country to catch fish for the uninitiated. My second choice is any tailwater in East Tn.