PDA

View Full Version : Harpeth friday

Deedub
12-19-2006, 02:43 PM
The TWRA is stocking the Harpeth in Franklin on Friday and as luck would have it...I'm off work that day and the little lady is out earining a living. Do you guys recommend giving it a try (I was gonna call the TWRA and find the spot) or should I avoid the crowd and just go to the Elk or Duck? I want to just fish for a few hours before I head home for Christmas.

Thanks and good luck out there.

dw

Grumpy
12-19-2006, 08:37 PM
if it's closer than the other's go for it, hopefully we'll get a lil rain, i'm sure the Harpeth is pretty low.

Grumpy

big irish
12-20-2006, 09:15 AM
Deedub: check this link for a map of all TWRA winter stocking locations:

http://www.state.tn.us/twra/gis/troutmap/troutindex.html

I walked down to the Harpeth site last Sunday to check it , it's about 2 minutes from my house. After finding the stocking location on the map I was hesitant to get excited about the prospect of winter trout there- it's not exactly a pristine setting, more of a wandering ditch at that point. However, the city (or someone) has gone in recently and cleaned up around the dam where they're set to release the fish...should make casting much easier as it would have been tight quarters before. Grumpy is right, the water is pretty low right now so a little rain today might help the cause...and maybe keep the 'bucket brigade' at home.

I stopped by the Stones River at Nice Mill Dam on Sunday 12/11, 2 days after the TWRA stocked there. It was pretty crowded with locals loading up their stringers with dinner...but I had a blast. In about 1 hour I caught 6 rainbows, all 10+ inches except one. Fished a #6 Olive Wooly slowly at first, then stepped up my retrieve speed a little and started hammering them. After watching me release my fish, one guy asked me if I wasn't going to keep the fish I caught would I give them to him?

My kids went down for their afternoon nap about 2 pm...I was out the door, in the water catching fish, and back home before they woke up. For an otherwise unproductive winter afternoon, you can't beat that little vacation with a stick.msh

Deedub
12-20-2006, 11:46 AM
Thanks for the replys Grumpy and Big Irish...the Stones River may be a possibility if the Harpeth is too crowded.
I'm sure the corn will be flyin'.
dw

Woody
12-20-2006, 03:49 PM
big irish,

Thanks for the link, I have never seen one this detailed. The maps on the few streams I pulled up are
just what I need. The only thing missing are where the no trespessing signs and private property locations are. Oh will I guess you can't have everything.

Grumpy
12-21-2006, 09:22 AM
big irish,

Thanks for the link, *I have never seen one this detailed. *The maps on the few streams I pulled up are
just what I need. * The only thing missing are where the no trespessing signs and private property locations are. *Oh will I guess you can't have everything.

That's easy, just keep your ears tuned to the sound of a 12 guage being jacked, you'll lnow it's time to move on ;D

Grumpy

nailman_83
12-22-2006, 02:12 PM
The Williamson AM had an artilce about the stocking in yesterdays paper. I plan on trying to fish it on saturday. I hope to see some of you all there.

Grumpy
12-23-2006, 08:59 AM
I just saw it on the news, looked like opening day up north :o

Grumpy

Deedub
12-23-2006, 10:58 AM
Yeah...I went yesterday morning and it was an event to be sure. When the news live trucks showed up I hit the road. And no...I'm not wanted in the state or anything. I guess I just wanted to fish with a little more peace and quiet. Take care and have a Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays.

dw

nailman_83
12-26-2006, 11:27 AM
I fished the Harpeth on Saturday. I did pretty well once everyone went home for lunch. I used a BHWB right below the dam and caught 4 around 14 inches. I fished it again Christmas morning, but the water was really muddy because of the rain and didnt have any luck. It was fun though because I only had to drive about 5 minutes instead of 2 hours.

Deedub
12-29-2006, 11:11 PM
I fished it this morning for about 90 minutes.
The water was flowing really well. Myself and two others using fly rods didn't have any luck right below the little dam.
I went about thirty yards down steam...next to a big downed tree and had some really good hits. The first hit...I retrieved my line and found my BHWB gone (probably my fault), but honestly I haven't been ff that long and that was the hardest hit I'd ever had.

Anyway, long story short, I landed a nice rainbow right after that. I was a litte suprised at the size...considering they are all stockers...but I heard some guys talking that they put some nice size fish in.

My only suggestion...get there early...it started filling up when I left at only 8:30am.

Good luck out there.

dw

big irish
01-27-2007, 06:27 PM
It was 58 and sunny today so I headed down to the Harpeth about 1 pm. The state stocked it for the 2nd time this winter yesterday, so it was pretty crowded right around the dam. I waded downstream about 100-120 yards to where the water slows down and widens out a bit. I was all alone...and found a seam between some deep,slack water and the main current- a nice line of bubbles marked the spot. I caught 5 rainbows in about 45 mintues, the 2 largest aboout 14 inches long, 1 of which was pretty fat. All of the fish fought like ****...I had to play each for longer than I am used to doing on a small stream. I landed all of them by hand, though these guys were big enough I should have had a net. I took a few pics with my phone, I'd post them here except I can't figure out how to paste in a pic (If anyone knows how, tell me and I'll stick the pics in here).

I almost forgot to mention that I caught these fish on a fly that I tied- the first time for that. Got them on a #10 BH olive wooly bugger. Got a fly-tying kit for xmas from my wife, this was the first fly I tied in my life...it didn't look nearly as nice as the pictures in the Orvis fly-tying book, but clearly these stockers didn't notice. msh

Grumpy
01-27-2007, 07:58 PM
There's nothing like success on your first tied flies 8-)

Grumpy

Vern
01-27-2007, 10:06 PM
I work about 1/4 mile from the dam and noticed the mod there friday. Everytime i think about giving it a try the water is way up. But after of these post I think I wil put the fly rod in my truck. I don't like the crowds and friday was very crowed. Maybe i can sneak away from the work and give it a try. I think i will tie a nibblet corn fly first becausethat is what most of the fishermen are using. ;D

Stonefly
02-04-2007, 03:10 PM
I was going to send a PM to Big Irish, but I'm still new to this forum and don't see how to do that. Anyway, I live north of Nashville and haven't been to Nice Mill, but yesterday I was down that way and drove over to where I thought it'd be -- no luck. Would appreciate some input as to how to find it.

big irish
02-04-2007, 03:53 PM
I pasted the link to the TWRA map of the Harpeth stocking site below this message. If you need more specific directions please email me at michaelhilleary@yahoo.com and I will be happy to help. Good luck. msh

http://www.state.tn.us/twra/gis/troutpdf/Harpeth_River_at_Franklin.pdf