PDA

View Full Version : Keystone State FF advise

buckeyetrouter
01-06-2007, 09:21 AM
I am in NW Ohio and we would like to start venturing into Penn. to explore some more FF spots.....any good suggestions (I know there is some great FF in the Keystone State)

Any suggestions would be appreciated....

buckeyetrouter

Byron Begley
01-06-2007, 11:54 AM
PA is one of my favorite places. I like Cumberland County as a home base. Been going there for over 25 years. The large town is Carlisle but I usually stay in Boiling Springs at Allenberry Inn. The Yellow Breeches runs right through the property. It is stocked water but caught a 24" brown there once. Big Spring Creek is nearby. It's all wild trout, tough fishing and beautiful. I've caught them in there up to 20". And the toughest of all is Letort Spring Run. Fished it a few times, never caught anything. You've got to be real good to catch them there. I've also fished Penns Creek, Little Junieta and Spruce Creek.

Byron

ttas67
01-10-2007, 01:33 AM
I'll second byron on carlisle and boiling springs area. wonderful place. I could live there. beautiful large trout with red bellies. about the letort, each time I've been in that area I make a trip over to the letort, just to kind of pay respects. I've never seen anyone fishing it. each time I've looked at it and I can't even figure out how to fish it. this can't be explained until you see it, but its a very different type of water. closer to you in the state college area there's supposed to be some great fishing. interesting side note, everytime I've been up there it seems, when people find out where I'm from, they always ask me about the clinch. never the smokies, or any other tailwaters. just the clinch. is the clinch really that popular?

Jack M.
01-10-2007, 11:43 AM
The suggestions for the Cumberland County are fine, but if you are going to come that far into the state, you will find more and better options in the Centre County area. *Penn's Creek is famous for its hatches, as well as Spring Creek and Fishing Creek, all within about 30 minutes of one another and all dominated by wild trout. *Another area to consider is the Northcentral Counties, Pine Creek, Slate Run, Kettle Creek, Young Woman's Creek. In either of these locations, just about any blue line on the map holds trout.

None of these areas would be a daytrip from Western Ohio. *If you are looking for a day trip, there are some pretty streams in the Allegheny National Forest vicinity.

The best way to explore your options is to make use of the Pennsylvania Fish and Boat Commission web site. *There are interactive maps that show the stocked water, special regulation water, and Class A (highest biomass) Wild Trout Streams. *Here is a link:
http://sites.state.pa.us/PA_Exec/Fish_Boat/county.htm

Good luck!

kytroutman
01-10-2007, 02:04 PM
I'll second Jack M. but will add Spruce Creek and the Little Juniata. There is a local outfitter in State College (Flyfishers Paradise) that can get you hooked up to some great stream locations. There are some things different in PA with stream ownership and access from most states so be careful from a legal standpoint where you access the streams. Great fishing though and well worth the homework.

ttas67
01-10-2007, 06:34 PM
thanks for the info jack m. I may have to check out the centre county area next time I'm in PA.

buckeyetrouter
01-10-2007, 10:09 PM
O.M.G..........hey Jack, that site is incredible.....thanks for the posting

buckeyetrouter

ttas67
01-11-2007, 01:47 AM
that site is excellent and really detailed. what's funny is it looks like there's trout water smack in the middle of philly.