PDA

View Full Version : Smokey Mountain Candy

Fly-By
01-12-2007, 02:27 PM
Towards the end of last November, I was fishing Little River a couple miles below Elkmont. I was having a slow day on dry flies (this is my preferred type of fly). While walking up the river, I came upon another fisherman….we ended up talking for a while. I told him about my bad luck. He told me to use a fly called “Smokey Mountain Candy” and he gave me two of his to try out and then he went on his way. He also told me that he bought them at LRO.
Sure enough… my success increased dramatically. Unfortunately, I lost one fly to a trout and one to a tree. Since then, LRO has been out of this pattern the two times I have looked there…..so I assume they are quite popular with other fishers as well.
Does anyone have a picture of this fly or directions on how to tie one? If so, please let me know.

Thanks in advance for the help.
Fly-By

Paula Begley
01-12-2007, 02:35 PM
Fly-By

The Smoky Mountain Candy is basically a yellow bodied thunderhead. Walter Babb ties them for us and they do sell out quickly.

The dubbing he uses is not a bright yellow, but more like an awesome possum pale yellow or a beaver pale morning dunn. I will ask him what color he uses...or if he mixes his own dubbing.

Hope that helps.

Paula

Byron Begley
01-12-2007, 04:03 PM
Fly-By

Walter will be tying here at the store on February 3rd. It's part of our Free Fly Tying Winter Seminars. You can click on the white button at the top of the page for details. If you live in this area I'm sure he would be glad to show you how to tie them.

Byron

Fly-By
01-12-2007, 04:03 PM
Paula,

Thanks for the help.

Fly-By

Fly-By
01-12-2007, 04:07 PM
Byron,

I will definitely be there on Feb 3rd. By the way, thanks for holding these free fly tying seminars. I came last saturday and really enjoyed it.
I'll be duck hunting for the rest of this month, so I will not be able to make it until Feb. 3rd....so this works out great.

Thanks again,

Fly-By