PDA

View Full Version : ?? Troutfest??

buckeyetrouter
01-13-2007, 09:13 AM
was looking thru the schedule of classes as I want to get my daughter a beginners fly fishing class and noticed "Troutfest".

What is "Troutfest" and should I drive the 6.5hrs to attend?

buckeyetrouter

DryFly1
01-13-2007, 09:22 AM
Buckeye,

Try this- locals will most likely give more details. I'm going to take my son this year.

www.troutfest.org

ttas67
01-13-2007, 10:32 AM
buckeye, I'd say drive the 6.5 hours to do some fishing, and while you're here attend trout fest. I love troutfest. I myself probably wouldn't drive that far soley for the event, but it is pretty cool and I bet you'd love it. basically its outside, with alot of tent vendors selling local arts and crafts mostly pertaining to trout, some not though. also there will be rod makers there, tiers, free casting lessons, food, and real bluegrass or appalachian music usually. you'd probably really like it and if you had some money to burn you could buy some cool stuff.

buckeyetrouter
01-13-2007, 11:10 AM
thanks for the info and web site.....I usually bring Abby down for a long motheres day weekend to relax and ff, sounds like I should move it back a few weeks and tie the Troutfest into the trip....

let's see........cabin in the hills w/hottub, a tirip to LRO, *prime rib at Timbers, FF'ing in the GSMNP, another trip to LRO, Troutfest, another trip to LRO, photo trips into the park, *the company of my fiance to share it all with........can't imagine a better long weekend trip.......oh yea, can't forget a trip to G-burg for (Black Bear ?) MicroBrewery for wings and a cold one.....ohhhhhhhh yeaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!!!

see ya in a few weeks Trevor......getting anxious for this fly tying class and what all I can learn

buckeyetrouter

budman
01-14-2007, 10:41 AM
Buckeye, If you are planning on a trip down I would definately try to come for Troutfest, it's a really good event. Obviously a great time of year for fishing too ;)

buckeyetrouter
01-14-2007, 11:19 AM
just curious, would that be too early, too late or close to just right for the mountain laurel blooming????? thinking it would be some great photo opps also.....

buckeyetrouter

budman
01-14-2007, 02:28 PM
Buckeye- if I remember correctly I think that should be a pretty good time for mountain laurel. That time in May I think you would find some blooming especially at lower elevations. I'm no expert but you shouldn't have too hard of a time finding some.

buckeyetrouter
01-14-2007, 03:15 PM
fantastic.......it's a done deal, I'll have to call my buddy with the cabin and lock up that weekend. I'm sure Abby won't mind as she is almost as nuts about FF'ing as I am and the festival will really cap the weekend off........the board that was posted was for the 2006 festival, when will banquet tickets be available for the 2007 edition.....

buckeyetrouter

Dancing Bear
01-14-2007, 08:10 PM
Buckeye,

I haven't been to Troutfest yet but my wife and I would drive the 6.5 hours for a couple of pounds of naked wings with Thunder Road sauce and a few Black Bears. Maybe just for the Black Bears. Mmmmm! The brewery is always the next stop after LRO when we get to the Smokies.

ijsouth
01-14-2007, 09:21 PM
Sounds like fun...I could see us sneaking up there for that weekend.

Vern
01-14-2007, 09:50 PM
I stopped for the troutfest last year. Had to plead with my non flyfishing wife to stop. She ended up having a realy good time shoppong at all the craft bboths that were set up. My 9yr old daughter enjoyed making her own design for a new spiecies of trout at the tu kids booth. Gaintfish enjoyed the wild life mangement booth,even discussed a litte acid rain with one of the officers. This year the family trip is the first week in june so they will miss it, but a fiend wants to do some backcountry camping, so I come that weekend and stop on they way into the Park. I would not make a special trip for it, but I will try to plan a trip that same time.