PDA

View Full Version : furled, tapered or bimini twist leaders

Vern
01-13-2007, 11:44 PM
OK, what are the major differance between tapered, furled and bimini leaders? Is worth the extra money to change to furled or bimini twist. If your are dry flyong and using a furled leader do you need to switch to a tapered leader before fishing a mympth?

ttas67
01-14-2007, 03:02 AM
a furled leader is actually cheaper because it lasts a very long time. I used one for about 4 months straight, and I was fishing 3-4 days a week. I took it off a long time ago, forgot about it and found it last week in my vest pocket. put it back on, perfect. I would suggest everyone try one out, you'll probably like it. if you search the web you'll find some pretty detailed instructions on how to make them yourself. I've never made one, but may give it a shot one day.

Vern
01-14-2007, 10:54 AM
Thanks I think that i will try one.

geerona
01-16-2007, 12:08 PM
Hello ttas67,

I sometimes think we fly fishermen are a bit obsessed with anything new and in my case especially something I can make myself. I have built my own rods for many years, hand tied my leaders and of course tied my own flies, thought many leave something to be desired.

Now I find your suggestion on furled leaders and of course feel the need to try and make some. After searching the web I have found many methods for making them and quite honestly even better reasons to makes them.

Now I have another way to spend time waiting for spring and even better something new to try out when it gets here. Since I fish a lot of small dry flies these should be great!

Thanks for the information, gary <*))))><

doghaircaddis
01-16-2007, 05:48 PM
I've always just used tapered leaders. TTAS, where did you get the furled leader that you were using?

buckeyetrouter
01-16-2007, 09:43 PM
how about posting that web site where you found the instructions on making your own.....

thanks
buckeyetrouter

ttas67
01-17-2007, 02:35 AM
I bought it at LRO, but unfortunately they have since quit stocking them. but I must admit, thinking about it, it looks like the leader is actually braided, but I know the package said furled. LRO does stock a braided orvis leader. geerona, if you do end up making some, I'd love to try one out! I'd build one of those leader boards, but I have neither the tools nor the time.

geerona
01-17-2007, 11:18 AM
Hello ttas67 and buckeyetrouter,

I searched yahoo under "furled leader" and found several sites with instructions. The one I am going to try is listed under...a case for furled leaders... on the first page of sites. Not being a computer expert it is hard for me to explain it other than it also was www.midcurrent.com but I was unable to find the same info there. Probably my fault. There are several places that give instructions and most appear to be pretty much the same with a few different twists, no pun intended. I also should warn you that if you search on furled "leaders" instead of "leader" this site does not come up.

I am going to build the leader board this week and make an attempt. The instructions are somewhat detailed and a little confusing at times but I intend to muddle my way through them. After reading several opinion on furled leaders I think they could be beneficial. I have a hard time finding my dry fly many times and I think these could help. Almost all the opinions give credence to their durability. Something I read makes me believe that braided and furled leaders are not the same thing but I can't tell you where I read it now, one of the problems of getting older and not paying attention when I visit many web sites I guess. If I get one that appears to be correct I will let you know ttas67.

Best Wishes to all, gary <*))))><

Vern
01-18-2007, 01:33 PM
found a web site that show how to tie them. http://globalflyfisher.com/fishbetter/henk/henk1.htm looks a little tough to me. But i may try it.

ttas67
01-18-2007, 06:35 PM
vern, the site you posted is the one I've seen before. very detailed and looks complicated, but I bet once you get the gist of it , it's not too hard.

geerona
01-18-2007, 07:03 PM
Vern,

I checked out the site you posted and found it is very similar to the one I thought I would use. The methods are very similar only the dimensions for the board are different. I may get real bold and use a combination of the two when I make the board tomorrow. I want something about 7.5' long before I add my tippet.

The more I read the instructions the easier it sounds although I still find it a little confusing. I'll post something in the next few days if I get one made.

I just love the opportunity of making something new and useful as well. Of course I could just make a huge mess and pitch the thing in the barn! Been there, done that!

Regards, gary <*))))><

geerona
01-18-2007, 07:08 PM
Oh yeah,

The webiste I am looking at is http://www.midcurrent.com/articles/gear/brown_furled_leader.aspx if you want to check it out.

gary <*))))><

geerona
01-18-2007, 07:44 PM
Hey Chuckwalla,

Does the ring cause the end of the leader to sink when fishing a dry fly? I like the idea of a ring and saw one with the ring somewhere in my web travels.

Nice Brittany! I had one for years and she was the bird craziest dog I ever saw.

Thanks for the info, gary <*))))><

Chuckwalla
01-18-2007, 08:00 PM
Hey Chuckwalla,

Does the ring cause the end of the leader to sink when fishing a dry fly? I like the idea of a ring and saw one with the ring somewhere in my web travels.

Not that I can tell. I always put a little Dave's on it after dopping the fly.

geerona
01-20-2007, 12:06 AM
Hey Vern and ttas67,

Well, it took a little time but my first furled leader looks pretty darn good to me. I just need to make my loops on each end and it should be complete. I may try one of those small rings on the small end if I can find some. It is really not that difficult. I did not use the instructions I was going to use since it made a 10' leader and I wanted one closer to 7' so I used the instructions you suggested Vern. This thing is very supple and has no memory that I can see. Nice transition in taper also. Can't wait to give it a try.

Gor for it, gary <*))))><

ttas67
01-20-2007, 03:53 AM
what material did you use for the leader?

geerona
01-20-2007, 08:29 AM
ttas67,

I used Trilene XL (extra limp) in 4#. Since I use small dry flies most of the time I wanted something small in diameter. If I find some 2# I may try it.

I would like to make a few more today but will be leaving home soon to help move our daughter and son in law and already had plans for the evening so that shoots today. Maybe Sunday after church I can get back on it.

If I can figure out how to send a PM to you I will do that Sunday or Monday.

Best Wishes, gary <*))))><

geerona
01-20-2007, 09:00 AM
Also, I did not use the 3 cup hook method of building the 2 sections on the outside hooks and transferring them both to the middle hook. I followed instructions on the other site and used only the middle hook. I am sure it was much easier and did not present any problems in the twisting of the 2 sections and furled just like it should.

g <*))))><

Vern
01-20-2007, 04:15 PM
Just recieved a couple... Have not fished yet but they look great, i think i will like them. When I get time I am going to build a rig to try to make them. $30 for three leaders is a little steep. I played with one, found an old spool of orvis Bimimi tippet and it dawned on me, Leader with, tippet with loop, no surgens Knots. Life is great but maybe too costly. Wait pre tie some tipit with loop knots?

Vern
01-20-2007, 04:18 PM
Lokking at the Bluesky leader I noticed that the top loop is round, i think that they most use a dowel rod instead of a hook, it is also coated with superglue.

ttas67
01-21-2007, 02:25 AM
when I went to the orvis warehouse sale in atlanta they had those pre-tied bimini tippets for something like 25 cents a pack. what a deal. I bought a few, but really, you can just tie a couple of feet of standard tippet on there and it'll work great.

buckeyetrouter
01-21-2007, 11:48 AM
hey Gary....can you post a pic of the leader and whay you used to make it??? Let us know how it works for you , I'm dying to try one.......

buckeyetrouter

geerona
01-21-2007, 04:09 PM
buckeyetrouter,

I will try to post a picture but it will probably take my wife's help. I am not real skilled on that stuff. I'll charge up the digital camera and see what happens later this afternoon. I used Trilene XL #4 for the first two. They are a little shorter than I hoped but with 30" of tippet will be about 9' long.

Wish me luck, gary <*))))><

buckeyetrouter
01-21-2007, 05:08 PM
o.k........good luck ;D

buckeyetrouter

geerona
01-21-2007, 06:07 PM
buckeyetrouter,

Check your email, pictures are coming. We could not get them added to a post.

Best Wishes, gary <*))))><

ttas67
01-22-2007, 01:46 AM
hey gary, can you send me a pic as well?

buckeyetrouter
01-22-2007, 08:51 AM
I got the pics, the leaders look good Gary....let us know how they fish

buckeyetrouter

geerona
01-22-2007, 12:02 PM
Trevor,

Check your email when you get a chance.

gary <*))))><