PDA

View Full Version : the fishing drive

ttas67
01-15-2007, 02:45 AM
we all know how great it is to be on the stream, but for me the drive up there is a part of the experience also. its really almost a ritual. you know how it feels, when the sun is shining and you're driving to the mountains, listening to some music, maybe even singing along and playing drums on the steering wheel. I may even hang my head out the window like a dog occasionally just to feel the wind on my face. stop at LRO, get some necessities, walk upstairs, wiggle a few rods. "would you like to cast that?" "thanks, but not today". gotta hurry and get on the water. walk downstairs to pay, "what's your last name?" "smart". "with 2 t's?", "one". say goodbye, thank you. walk out the door, cat runs in or out. start up the car and drive to the last gas station on the left. there I get a big water and a $2.99 bag of "amish" cashews. drive into the park. on the right there's the family taking the picture by the park entrance sign. on the left I take a quick calculation of the number of tubers. oh yeah, the fishing report should contain a tubing factor. as I approach the split and start turning right, I usually give a quick glance over my left shoulder at the sunbathers. I'm a bachelor so I have to keep an eye out for potential. today I'll fish abrams. I start out on the loop, moving at a good pace for the first mile and just as I start thinking I'm actually going to make good time, I'll turn a corner..... traffic jam. what is it? just a chipmunk. time drags on and finally I reach the turnoff for the trail head. I spring like a leak out of the traffic and start tearing down that road like a man just released from prison. then I'll hit a pothole so hard that I'm suprised my airbag didn't blow and remember to slow down a little and take it easy. I park the car, suit up, someone usually comes over and says something like "good day to fish". yes it is.

Kevin_Thomas
01-15-2007, 08:54 AM
That is very cool... Creature of habit you are young Skywalker... I'm heading out in a few minutes. I'll try to take note of my own habits. See you soon!

Troutman
01-15-2007, 09:13 AM
You have a good wit. I like the part about the Chipmunk traffic jam. ;D It seems all you have to do in the Smokies to stop traffic is stand on the side of the road and point at the trees. Anyway, Thanks for making me laugh this morning before I head off to work.
Troutman

David Knapp
01-15-2007, 09:21 AM
Nice post! I seem to get stuck in Crow or Raven jams in the Cove... :o I also like to start jams when I am riding with someone else. Generally, the driver will slam on the breaks, everyone in the car points vaguely towards the woods until the people behind us appear to be looking intently for "it" and then we continue quickly on our way... ;D

ijsouth
01-15-2007, 10:00 AM
Nice...I like the drive too, only it's a bit more extended in my case:

1. Get on I-12, fight my way through the increased traffic in our area, post-Katrina.

2. Get on I-59, cross through the Honey Island Swamp, into Mississippi. Nothing but pine trees for the next 150 miles.

3. Get into Alabama, the miles seem to go by quicker now.

4. Birmingham - start seeing the first semblance of mountains.

Well, you get the point...I actually enjoy the drive - it really isn't that bad, particularly once you get past that stretch from Hattiesburg to Meridian. By the time we reach Chattanooga, it feels like we're practically there.

doghaircaddis
01-15-2007, 11:42 AM
Nice read, Trevor. Sounds like the same exact drive I've been taking.

Fishermansfly
01-15-2007, 12:42 PM
That is hillarious, your ritual is very much so our ritual! Righ down to the bag of Amish cashews.....For those of you who haven't tried them.....Wow!! Those Amish folk can really make a bag of trail mix...I enjoy seeing the vinyl hatch anually but I hate some of the idiots who have no sense of decency!!!!

I think would should combat this by having a large meet and standing in a straight line across the stream so the tubers have to bail from their vinyl exit the water and re-enter. While some of our guys throw large stones within three feet of the tubers on thier acent to the waters edge! OOOO, I almost forgot everyone must be drinkning BUDWIESER or the old stand in Natural Light....

UGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHH......Still satisfying to catch fish in these conditions....

Fishermansfly

Gerry Romer
01-15-2007, 11:36 PM
Fortunately, tubers are out of season at the moment ;D

However, we do get the occasional Geez-it's-warm-I-think-I'll-take-the-dogs-for-a-mountain-hike-todayers. They can actually be more of a pest than tubers and swimmers. Check out my reply to "Smokies Report" for a full account. :'(

Gerry Romer

ijsouth
01-16-2007, 12:47 AM
I saw all the tubing places up there over New Year's...of course, they were deserted this time of year. I can only imagine how mobbed Little River gets in the warmer months. We have a similar problem down here with the jet skiers - they crowd you when you're fishing....totally obnoxious. I realize that we who fish don't own the water, but dang - if they see you fishing, you would think they would have the sense to give you a bit of space. Very frustrating.