PDA

View Full Version : Orvis Battenkill LA II

bhall15
01-16-2007, 12:12 AM
Hey guys. *I was wondering if anyone here had the Orvis Battenkill Large Arbor II. *If so what do you think of it. *What do you like about it or dislike about it?

Thanks
Brandon

buckeyetrouter
01-16-2007, 07:52 AM
I was originally looking at that reel till some of the guys on this site suggested I look at the weight of the unit. Depends on how much you'll be fishing but at that weight it may get a bit tireing. Now I did just purchase the Ross Flystart large arbor for my daughter at a very low $ price from LRO, and although it also is a bit weighty it will suffice for her usage until we determine her level of commitment to the FF way of life.

The BBII is only 3.6oz vs 5.8oz for the large arbor and I believe the BBII is also a few $ less.....ultimately it comes down to getting what you want and will be comfortable with, and if that is the large arbor then that may be the right reel for you.....

hope this may help a bit
buckeyetrouter

DryFly1
01-16-2007, 08:36 AM
Have never used that particular reel.

What are you considering putting it on? I like a very balanced system and will spend the extra $ to make that happen. But like Buckeye stated, it's more a matter of what appeals to you and budget. Good luck...

DryFly1

bhall15
01-16-2007, 08:42 AM
I am going to be putting it on a 9' 4wt. Thanks for the help guys!

buckeyetrouter
01-16-2007, 08:59 AM
my bad.....I was listing the weight of the mid arbor......the large arbor in the 3-5 weight is approx 4.75oz (almost a full oz lighter). BTW....it is a beautiful reel and I have a 5/6 battenkill (not large arbor) that I love and have had no issues with in approx. 7 years........sorry bout the mis-info

also, there are some reviews on the orvis web site.....appears to be all positive....

buckeyetrouter

Grumpy
01-16-2007, 09:06 AM
I have a LA III on a 5 weight rod, weight isn't noticeable, the line comes off the reel in feet instead of inches when you pull on it, great if you like to cast long distances, you can reel 60' of line up in no time, the drag works.

Downside, if you like backing, this isn't the reel for you, it may hold 60 yards of 12 lb with a WF4 on it :o

Unfortunately for me, i rarely get to see the backing unless i'm cleaning or changing a line :-[

Grumpy

bhall15
01-16-2007, 11:10 AM
Thanks grumpy for the information. Unfortunately I am like you and never get to see my backing unless I am changing line or looking at it through the venilation holes ;D Sounds like it may be a good reel. Thanks everyone!