PDA

View Full Version : Still another ???? about the tuber hatch

easttnsalmon
01-17-2007, 07:44 PM
while the tubers are invading the waters during the summer months, how high up do I need to go without doing much hiking. I like to hike, but maybe I just want to go fishing without much hiking? Do I need to drive up the mountain a little farther??

ttas67
01-17-2007, 09:11 PM
the tubers aren't as big of a problem as they're made out to be. generally you can fish around the metcalf bottoms area, west prong, abrams, or middle prong (tremont) without too much interference.

David Knapp
01-17-2007, 09:32 PM
Determining where to fish in the summer should be done with a thermometer or at least a look at the water temps on the fishing report. I finally got a stream thermometer last weekend at LRO and it was an eye opening experience to use it for the first time. Once the water temperature starts to get into the upper 60's, the fishing slows down. I generally prefer to find water that is in the lower 60's if possible. When you get up higher, you can still find water in the upper 50's to low 60's. The low elevations can still fish well, but you typically will want to get out early in the morning when the water temps are lowest and the tubers generally aren't out then anyway and therefore aren't a problem.

ijsouth
01-18-2007, 12:19 AM
Is your thermometer digital? I have one, but it's one of those "strip" thermometers, and I question its accuracy - it just gives you a "ballpark" figure, and at times you need better than that. Sounds like yours is a winner - if it's reasonably priced, I might get one myself.

High altitude streams in the summer...can't wait!

Kevin_Thomas
01-18-2007, 12:31 AM
I have a $10 Orvis (not digital) and it serves me well... Got it at... LRO!!! Love those guys. Everyone one of them. Who knows Byron might even give me a job one day :o.

David Knapp
01-18-2007, 08:30 AM
I have the Orvis thermometer also and highly recommend it. You can't beat it for $10...

Jswitow
01-18-2007, 09:40 AM
I keep my thermometer on a long string and keep it in my chest pack, tied to one o the D rings. When I want to use it I just drop it in the water and forget about it for a couple of minutes They've made those glass thermometers for year and years, they are accurate as long as they are glued into the housing properly and line up with the preper gradation. I bought one of the fishponds last year, just because I liked the machined aluminum tube! The orvis always served me well too. 50 to 60 degrees is the best, next to any time I can get on the stream! Of course you can always get in the car and drive a little further upstream. Tubers and Kayakers arrrrgggghhhh. But they have as much right to the streams as we do. They give up pretty quick when hooked though, kinda like a sucker.
Tight lines!