PDA

View Full Version : Flys and fish and type

Giantfish
01-19-2007, 09:46 PM
I went to a fly shop today and noticed how many flys they have :o. How in the world do you know which to get how to fish them and where to fish them? You got to fish a fly this whay here and that way there and you have a million flys to chose from. I'm kinda lost here. What do you do when you have a wall of flys in front of you? which to chose and how to fish?
Thanks
Giantfish

DryFly1
01-19-2007, 10:07 PM
Giantfish,

This could be a really long answer or short. I'll make it short.

Any time you are looking at a new body of water to fish simply do a little research. It will depend on time of year,water type and whether you are nymphing or dry fishing. You might start with a local outfitter in that area, call a friend who has been there, scout on-line articles or books. Any of these should give you some general recommendations of fly types to use.

How to fish- You might try the above mentioned,but nothing beats practice and a guide for a day!

One thing to remember- A dry fly is on top and a nymph /etc. on the bottom. Learn to fish them both proficiently...

Good Luck- DryFly1

David Knapp
01-19-2007, 10:20 PM
Generally if I go to an area that is new to me, I'll stop by a local fly shop and get some recommendations. They usually have a good idea of what is working on the local waters and can tell me what to use. As you fish more, you will begin to develop a good knowledge of what flies to use when...

Also, fly selection is only as hard as you make it. A good fisherman can catch fish almost anywhere on just 2 or 3 flies...

ijsouth
01-19-2007, 10:42 PM
I'll take it a step further, and extend it to any type of lure...there are certain lures, in a few basic colors, that cover most situations; the one "truism" is that most lures are designed to catch fishermen, not fish.

ttas67
01-19-2007, 11:31 PM
this is true, one could fish sucessfully on just 2 or 3 flies. however, there are times when it seems even a slight variation in the pattern or size can make a big difference. use whatever advice you can get from a local fly shop, because they know what they're talking about, but also step outside the box a little and try some different flies as well. as someone said before, confidence is the best fly. by trying out different flies and finding out what works for yourself, I believe you'll also learn alot more. you also may develop a sort of instinct as to what they may take. then when all the flies that were written on the board of the fly shop that day aren't working, you may get a hunch to try out a small black caddis. you tie one on and BAM, you're into fish. happens to me all the time. you could, as many probably do, just tie on a green weenie and catch fish all year long, and that would be ok i guess, but you would be limiting yourself and not learning much other than how to fish a green weenie. also keep an open mind and be careful of learning so much that you think you know it all. staying strictly within any set of rules or laws of ff can hinder you as well. remember that every fly was a creation of someone. someone with an open mind had an idea and tied something up a little different and created that fly. even fly fishing itself, while we like to think it has existed since the creation of the heavens and earth, was really just someone trying out something new. it has developed all these years into what it is today as a result of many small contributions by average guys just like us.

Waterborn
01-20-2007, 11:44 AM
One can go crazy trying to keep up with all he varieties of flies...my money is learn the basics and keep the bread and butter generics in your box that will work just about anywhere (adams, elk hair caddis, pheasant tails, hares ear,soft hackles etc) then how to use them effectively and then branch out from there in variations by going with different sizes and colors of the same pattern...same patterns in different sized and colors will cover a several bugs...a #22 black elk hair caddis can represent a blackfly dry but on a 14 2x hook a winter stone, same materials....then work on various of ways of presentation...a dry fly doesn't have to be fished dry, a muddler can be fished as a hopper - this can be a another facet of variations without having to buy a different fly...
don't get me wrong, I like all the different flies and creations out there...."you are unique - just like everyone else" ...it is what makes this sport great....we can all tie a different fly to take the same fish, to solve a particular problem
...take inspiration from those before and around you,but do some personal research and you will learn that much more..collect your own samples of bugs on,in and, under the water, do stomach pumps and also observe the fish, then apply those to the "why" on the variations of your flies and why you would want them tied a particular way and when you would want to fish that pattern...catching is the culmination of the process of fly fishing...

Gerry Romer
01-20-2007, 10:37 PM
Giantfish --

Tell your dad - no, ASK your dad - to take you to Wal Mart, and head for the sporting goods department. Look for a wire book rack with a collection of books put out by Creative Publishing International. See if you can find one titiled "Fly Fishing for Trout In Streams" under their "The freshwater Angler" label. If I remeber correctly, it's $14.95. I've found it in a few of the Wal Mart store around here ( Maryville/Knoxville) so Nashville should have it. If not, PM me and I'll be happy to pick one up and send it to you. (I liked mine so much I got one for my son as a Christmas present.)

At first glance, the book looks like a very basic primer on the sport of fly fishing. But after reading mine the first time, I was amazed at what I didn't know after 20 years of "playing at" this wonderful sport. I've since re-read it about three times. Trust me, the answers to the questions you've asked are in this book. And there are some wonderful photos that illustrate the points being made in the text. It's not gonna tell you specifically what kind of fly to fish on what day of the week on a specific body of water at a given time of the year, but it will tell you why the fish eat what they do when they do and how to approximate what they're looking to eat. It will also give you a better understanding of the equipment we pay so much for and a healthy respect for the people who develop it.

It gives you a really good foundation to build on. I know I'm fishing with more confidence now that I was before I found this book. Between this website and this book, I"ve learned more about this sport in the past twelve months than in the last 20 years ;)

Gerry Romer

buckeyetrouter
01-21-2007, 11:55 AM
o.k. guys......first of all......DON'T LAUGH !!!!!!! , I could get in trouble is she hears all of you snickering at the same time. When my fiance and I look at flys, she usually pics the..................................uh........... ... "pretty" flys (according to her)........but doggonit....she usually hits something with her pics.......

buckeyetrouter

ttas67
01-22-2007, 02:52 AM
maybe she thinks like a trout.

buckeyetrouter
01-22-2007, 08:44 AM
boy I hope not, I have trouble keeping my trout on the HOOK :o

buckeyetrouter