PDA

View Full Version : Hugh Hartsell @ LRO

Kevin_Thomas
01-20-2007, 06:04 PM
WOW!!! *What a day! *Got up early and had a massage at Theraputic Balance in Maryville ;). *Then went to LRO to meet Hugh Hartsell. *Sat there watching and listening until 2:30. *What a great guy! *It was nice to meet a few folks from the board there too! *Hans was there (patiently waiting for Hugh to tie a yellow stim), *Troutman, Lienart, Hans' friend Greg, ttas87, stretch, and others were in attendance.

In the end I spent my 4wt rod money on fly tying stuff. *I'm going to be stuck in Alabama for a couple of months and thought it would be fun to tie flies while I'm in my room. *Got a vice, tools, and the stuff to tie some midges and green weenies with.

Thanks Mr. Hartsell and LRO for a great day!

Kevin

Buckeye... I would still like those glass beads... I'll try to make you something that resembles a midge in return 8-)

tennswede
01-20-2007, 06:27 PM
Kevin!

Alright now, did you not hear me when I told you that GREEN WEENIES are no longer legal in the park. :-X

Kevin_Thomas
01-20-2007, 10:39 PM
Got off to a fast start with the vice.

First tie was a beadhead Green Weenie...

Second was a Zebra Midge ... black body, gold wire with a gold bead head...

Third was a copper wire midge with some peacock hurl tied in at the top...

Fourth was green weenie with wire wieght instead of bead head...

Fifth was a Zebra Midge... black body, copper wire with a copper bead head...

last one was a copper wire midge with a copper bead head...

Pretty productive for day one! I'm taking my stuff to Alaska with me tomorrow, so I should have plenty tied by Friday!

Kevin

David Knapp
01-20-2007, 11:18 PM
Kevin, beware the addiction of fly tying. It will get so bad that EVERY time you go fishing, you will have to stop at LRO and somehow come away with new tying materials!!! ::) Seriously though, I think you will find it very rewarding. Once you tie up several Zebra Midges, you need to come down and try the Hiwassee sometime if they will ever turn off the water... Late winter/early spring on the Hi with those midge patterns can be unreal. ;)

Kevin_Thomas
01-20-2007, 11:29 PM
I can't wait to catch a fish on a one of these...

Hugh Hartsell
01-20-2007, 11:51 PM
First, let me thank all the people who showed up today at the Fly Tiers Seminar and say how much I enjoyed meeting all of you. What a great crowd of dedicated flyfishermen. I hope that I got to say hello in some way to each of you and if I didn't, let me say it to you over the board. I hope that something good was passed on to each one of you in some constructive way. We all owe a great big thanks to Byron , Paula, Daniel, and all the employees at LROs for helping provide such a wonderful atmosphere to meet and share our love for flyfishing and flytying. You all, sure made my day by the interest that you showed and the friendship that you conveyed. Hopefully, this class lit a spark of interest to anyone that is considering this beautiful addiction called "flytying". I look forward to meeting each of you again, sharing a fly pattern on the stream, and telling of some special trip that we have experienced as we go on down this beautiful road called flyfishing. Good fishing to you all.
* *Hugh Hartsell---East Tn.

tngreg
01-21-2007, 01:23 AM
It was pleasure meeting you Mr. Hartsell ! Thanks for the great advice and showing us some great examples in the art of fly tying.

It was a great way to spend a Tennessee winter afternoon meeting nice folks and learning even more about this addiction of fly fishing.

Greg

stretch
01-21-2007, 03:05 AM
Thanks to LRO for hosting such a great event on these winter Saturdays. It was nice to meet some of the fellow board members as well. A special thanks to the tyers for sharing some of their patterns, definately a great learning experience. Hopefully, I'll run into some of you all on the river 8-).
stretch

buckeyetrouter
01-21-2007, 09:11 AM
Hey Kevin.....I'll be bringing the glass head weenies with me and will be in hopefully around noon or 1 on Friday (hope to sneak in a little fishing). If you can't get to LRO on Sat. I will leave them with Paula or Byron for you. The glass heads are just small glass beads from the jewelry beading section of JoAnn Fabric.....I tried it thinking the glass may catch some light and give a good reaction. You can find some interesting stuff at the craft stores once you get into tying (and it appears that you jumped in feet first).........

looking forward to meeting you and everyone else that may show up.....

buckeyetrouter

Troutman
01-21-2007, 11:59 AM
Had a good time yesterday at LRO meeting all of you. Hugh, I was very impressed by your tying skills and teaching ability also. It made me want to sit back down at my vise today and try to refill my flyboxes for this coming spring. I have to be in the mood and be motivated to tie for very long so you really helped me yesterday.
Thanks to Byron, Paula, Daniel and the staff at LRO for providing us with these seminars over the years. It has definitely helped me with my tying skills and a chance to learn new patterns.
Troutman