PDA

View Full Version : L.L. Bean Rods & Reels

lowkeybum
01-21-2007, 09:46 PM
In looking for a new rod/reel set up, I took a look at L.L. Bean's line of gear. *I usually associate Bean with clothing and home furnishings, however I often forget about their line of fly gear. *I was interested in hearing some reviews and opinions on L.L. Bean gear, but have been unable to find any. *Does anyone know anything about Bean gear and how they stack up compared to other rod/reels on the market? *Better yet, anyone own any Bean gear with comments they'd like to share?

Thanks for the help.

lowkeybum

Troutman
01-21-2007, 10:04 PM
The only L.L. Bean gear, I have ever owned was a pair of River tread wading boots. I ordered the Aqua Stealth boots and after trying them in the Smokies and falling down constantly, I sent them back. I like to support the local businesses, so I buy everything FF related from LRO. They have done so much for the local and now global FF community, I encourage you to support them also with any purchases. The prices on name brand rods and reels are the same everywhere and I believe LRO still eats the shipping. LL Bean, Cabelas, won't do that for their customers!

DryFly1
01-21-2007, 10:36 PM
Welcome lowkeybum,

Don't know anything about the L.L. Bean series of Fly Rods. There is a whole host of fly rod makers and one that is right for you. I would go to your local outfitter and try out the entry level rods(If that is what you are looking for) before you make a purchase. Unless, you have your heart set on L.L Bean.

Ditto on LRO- you will see this often. If they don't have it,they will get it for you. If you live close,stop in and try out some rods and actions.

Good luck - DryFly1

robb
02-08-2007, 10:48 AM
I have a LL Bean Streamlight rod 8.5' 4 piece 5 wt. purchased about 10 years ago. The end cap came off once and a call to the service department took care of that with no problem. They sent me all the hardware (only needed one piece, but the guy told me he would send me everything just in case) and I epoxy'd it back on. No $ out of my pocket. Now this rod is 10 yrs old, but I would say it's a little heavy, but it casts well. They have made changes since then, so take this for what it's worth. As for the reel and line that came with the set up (this was my first rod/reel/line, so I got a combo), even as a novice I was frustrated with it and soon replaced it. I'm sure they are improved now, but if you look at weight of the reel and drag mechanism, you might be happier looking somewhere else. Overall, they are seviceable, medium of the road rods with good service, IMO. That being said, all my rod, reel and line purchases since have been from LRO. Hope this helps.

lauxier
02-22-2007, 11:30 AM
1)Buy from locally owned fly shops--its got to do with after the sale service--the shops are being ambushed by cabelas,LL bean,etc 24-7,I was at Blue Ribbon fly shop in West Yellowstone,last year.The owner's wife told me"a couple of days ago a guy came in the shop wearing a cabelas fishing shirt.He took out his cabelas fly box,popped it open and asked for fly recomendations--I wanted to tell him to call cabelas,but,i didn't,I sold him a fly or two--i am sure the guy had no idea how he made me cringe...
2)buy american---will cost more---Look at St Croix bottom end rods--and ross reels--look at sage rods---