PDA

View Full Version : Double haul

Giantfish
01-22-2007, 08:51 PM
Ive been studying up on my casting and read a Lefty Kreh book and has learned alot! But the double Haul I'm confused about. What is it and when do you use it and why? The book just said how to do it,all I need to know is why. Also my FF knowlege is better than ever thanks to Christmas and the library!
Thanks
Giantfish

ttas67
01-22-2007, 09:24 PM
I'm not going to even attempt to explain how to double haul on here. I'll leave that up to Lefty. but typically I use it when casting long distances or to cut through a strong wind.

DryFly1
01-22-2007, 09:30 PM
Giantfish,

ttas67 is quiet correct. To add to that:

Next to mastering the proper casting stroke, the double haul is the most important tool a fly caster can learn. It allows you to throw a longer line, cast against the wind, and present heavier flies and lines with less effort. Once you have mastered the double haul, you can use it to some degree on almost every cast if you need to.

DryFly1

lauxier
01-22-2007, 10:19 PM
you don't see the double haul much in the smokies--things are too cramped---actually,once you catch on to it--it is quite natural--and you will find yourslf hauling on most casts you make---with fast and med-fast rods you can shoot flies long distances and through wind---

Griff
01-24-2007, 11:49 PM
I always thought the double haul was when you carried twice as much stuff in your vest than you could possibly ever need... ::)

ruggerfly
01-25-2007, 09:09 PM
I think the double haul is when you are carrying too much in your vest and a large gut! ;D

CanoeFlyGuy
01-26-2007, 01:56 PM
This year I have really worked on my double haul. I find my self using it all the time now. especially in the park when I want to tuck a cast up under some vegitation