PDA

View Full Version : Bar Harbor Maine

Vern
01-22-2007, 11:15 PM
My work has surprised the employees with a sabbatical to 6 differant locations on our 10,15,20 and 25th year annivery. This is an all paid trip, including air fare, hotel and rental car and paid vacation for a week. My choices are Yosemite, yellow stone, Jackson hole, bay harbour and a couple others that I can't remember. Of ocurse I wanted Jackson Hole or yellow stone for the great western fly fishing, but the better half has beg and pleaded for Bar Harbor. So on agreement that the next one be a western flyfishing I agreeded.
Is there any good flyfishing in that area of Maine? HELP
The good thing is i get an extra week of vacation that i can break up and make a few extra trips to the smokies this year.

doghaircaddis
01-22-2007, 11:29 PM
That's a nice reward! I wish my employer would do something like that. Sorry, I can't help you out on the fishing...never been to Maine. I hear there are some huge brookies up there though. When are you taking the trip?

DryFly1
01-22-2007, 11:29 PM
But..but honey....But honey..... Vern you gave up to easily! Obviously, you didn't use Giantfish to his full potential. My money goes to Yellowstone. The only redeeming factor here is that you get to spend more time in the smokies. I quess the compromise will have to do(but I know it's still painful). To your original question, I really don't know,but someone here probably does. Enjoy!!

DryFly1

ttas67
01-23-2007, 01:53 AM
there's certainly fly fishing in maine, but who knows. if you can swing it into Manchester VT somehow for a day or two, then you can fish the battenkill for brookies, visit the orvis flagship store, the rod factory, and walk across the street to the american museum of fly fishing. giantfish would love that, plus manchester, VT has more shopping than a woman can handle. but that's probably a little far. do a google search. I'm looking at my TU 100 best trout streams book and there are 3 listed in maine, all in the central part of the state, but probably only a few hours drive from wherever you'll stay. good luck, and take some pics to post.

Flat Fly n
01-23-2007, 08:22 AM
I know western Maine/New Hampshire like the back of my hand, but not the Bar Harbor area. Other than the Penobscot for salmon that is all I know. I suggest believe it or not contacting LL Bean. Those guys in Freeport know Maine pretty well and could get you started. Don't turn down the possibility of brook trout fishing in a pond out of a float tube. Too much fun.

PS. Find the Blueberry Pancake house in Bar Harbor if you can. WICKED!, as the natives say. Go to Acadia NP

Flat Fly'n

ruggerfly
01-24-2007, 10:09 PM
I will ask a buddy of mine about the area. He is from there (maybe he knows something!).

ruggerfly
02-06-2007, 09:56 AM
I talked to my friend last night. He is not very familiar with that part of Maine. Sorry. Good luck.

kytroutman
02-06-2007, 11:13 AM
Vern:

There is Grand Lake Streamin Acadia National Park. You can also do some float fishing in the various secluded ponds within the park. You can contact Green Mountain Guide Service at 207-288-4050 for some assistance.

Hawgdaddy
02-06-2007, 03:55 PM
Vern,
I will be in that area on vacation this year with my wife and her family. *Naturally, I've researched the fishing a little. *It looks like there are several ponds or lakes in the national park there that offer fishing for brookies and landlocked salmon. *There's supposed to be some decent saltwater fishing from shore as well. *I didn't find any streams or rivers mentioned in the immediate area (within a half hour), but I know there are some just a little ways up and down the coast. *I was thinking that Grand Lake Stream was further north by an hour or two, but I could be wrong. *Unfortunately I won't have much time to wander off by myself, so I'll have to settle for the ponds and such in the park, some of which are rumored to hold some decent brookies. *This website lists several fishing options in that area: http://www.state.me.us/ifw/fishing/opportunities/html/downeast.html. *Even if the fishing isn't as good as other parts of Maine, we still have good seafood and nice scenery to look forward to and that can't be all bad. *Take care and enjoy your trip,

hawgdaddy

kytroutman
02-06-2007, 04:38 PM
Here's another link to Acadia National Park.

http://www.acadianationalpark.com/recreation/fresh_water_fishing.php

Also, be ready for mosquitos if you are going during the Summer.

Vern
02-06-2007, 09:30 PM
The trip is all set now hotel reserved and pre paid, flight booked and paid for, rental car for the week booked and paid for. My parents are coming down from WV to take Gaintfish and his little sister to spend a couple weeks in WV. Gaintfish is excited because my brother is going to take him to my hunting cabin in wirt co. WV. Great deal :D Now my wife has even suggested I take a couple mornings and go fishing. The only problem with that is she want to shop while I am fishing. This trip may cost me alot even though its all paid for. ;D. I have a cheap Browning 6pc convertable I am going to take, unless i can swing a good 7pc between now and then. 7 day lin. is only $36.

out4trout
03-12-2007, 08:25 PM
My mom and dad took me and my brother to Bar Harbor every year for vacation. What a beautiful spot on the the map!! If you are going to fish I would look toward doing it in the sea. Maybe a guide up that way could put you onto some fish.
There is a lobster pound on the road going into Bar Harbor, it is on the right hand side of the road before you cross the bridge into Bar Harbor. Do your self a favor and stop there and get a mess of steamed clams and lobster, you will think you died and went to heaven. As for freshwater fishing, Moosehead lake in northern Maine is suppose to be awesome, I have never had the chance to go up there though.
Write back and let me know how your trip goes.