PDA

View Full Version : Montana/Wyoming fishing trip

Barbara
01-24-2007, 05:08 PM
I am planning a fishing trip to Montana or Wyoming this summer. Has anyone fished Shaw or Gordon Creek, out of the Bob Marshall Wilderness? This one is by horseback & sounds great. Also looking at fishing out of a town called Red Lodge in Montana or Sheridan, Wyoming. Any ideas? Thanks.

ttas67
01-26-2007, 10:54 PM
yeah, I got an idea. take me with you. 8-)

Dancing Bear
01-27-2007, 09:51 AM
You may want to consider Cooke City, MT. or Cody, WY. We really like Cooke City. It is a couple of hours south of Red Lodge. Lodging is reasonable, good resturants (a few) and close to Yellowstone. The hardest thing about staying in Cooke City is deciding where to fish. Big water, little water and lakes are all a very short drive away. It is also more sccenic than Cody or Red Lodge.

Barbara
01-29-2007, 09:54 AM
Did you use a guide, Dancing Bear, or go it alone?

Randall
02-08-2007, 01:56 AM
I'm planning on fishing the south fork of the flathead in aug. It will be my first trip into the "Bob". *I'm curious. *What made you select the shaw and gordan pack trip?

Dancing Bear
02-08-2007, 08:06 AM
Fisherlady, sorry to take so long to answer your question. We used an outfitter to take us on horseback to the upper meadow on Slough Creek. It was Ronnie Wright. His outfit is called Beartooth Plateau Outfitters. He is in Cooke City. The young man (Ronnie's nephew) that took us had to stay with the horses and gear becuase of bears. That is NPS regulations in Yellowstone. We were on our own as far as fishing Slough. It was really more of a four legged taxi service than guide. The rest of the trip we were on our own. It was a great trip. I would use Ronnie's service again. They are super nice folks. Upper Pebble Creek was the best. It is a haul to get there. 11 mile round trip hike but great fishing and spectaculer scenery.

kytroutman
02-08-2007, 08:55 AM
Don't overlook the Livingston, MT area. Great fishing and a number of quality guides to make it an enjoyable trip.

Barbara
02-08-2007, 11:28 AM
Thank you, Dancing Bear, for the info. It sounded so good until you said that word, BEAR! :o I don't do BEAR! I cannot take or ship my bear spray on airplanes so guess I'll have to purchase more once I get there.

Barbara
02-08-2007, 11:31 AM
Deaddrifter, I got the brochure and called an outfitter. We wanted to camp out but not sleep on the ground. This trip had good accomodations and promised waters that were lightly fished, if at all. It sounded good. Unfortunately the dates were very limited and the only time left for 2007 didn't match our schedule so that trip is out until maybe 2008. From talking to the outfitter, I'm not so sure the trout would be that large, but would be lots of them. Sleeping next to a trout stream and getting up at dawn to fish right outside the tent for wild trout sounded GREAT to me!

Barbara
02-08-2007, 11:34 AM
Kytroutman,
Good suggestion. I also found some places in Utah on the Provo River, I think it was, that sounded good. If we flew into Salt Lake it's an hour drive or less to what they say is good fishing and not too crowded.

mitroutbum77
02-12-2007, 08:54 PM
Barbara,

Just a suggestion as I've been out that way many times & big bro lives in Cody. Get away from the crowds. Give John Schwalbe (Orvis endorsed) a call out of Thermop. & hit the headwaters of the Bighorn. Don't have the pressure like you do in MT. Little known treasure.

mtb

SouthFork Skiff
02-23-2007, 11:28 AM
I would highly recommend checking out WorldCast Anglers in Jackson Hole. They take trips on the Snake, the South Fork of the Snake, Salt, Green, trips into Yellowstone, Etc. I graduated from there proffessional guide school and everyone there are extremely qualified. Not sure of the dates your considering but the pre-run off time in May can be very productive before everything gets blown out...most fishing with streamers and nymphs at this time. June and July are most dry fly times depending on weather off course and then theres the salmon fly hatch which is awesome, but alot of company on the water. They have an overnite trip in which you stay on what is called The South Fork Hilton, and it is a unique and awesome camp on the river. Everything is all inclusive in the prices except the flies...but the guides arent stingy with theres either. If this becomes a serious consideration, i would check and see if your schedule would fit in with Rob Meikle, Jim Hickey, or Mike Jannsen, all three are awesome guides and extremely knowledgable. Check out worldcastanglers.com and RockinMranchwyoming.com for more.

Barbara
03-05-2007, 07:20 PM
Thanks for the 2 good suggestions. I have spent lots of time online the last 2 weeks. Having a hard time finding a place I like that has openings the dates I will be out there. I'm sure something will work out. RockinM Ranch looks interesting.

SouthFork Skiff
03-07-2007, 01:07 AM
Its an awesome place...I lived there for 4 months with Rob and Jamie and they are both tremendous ppl!!!!

Paula Begley
03-07-2007, 08:44 AM
Yesterday, this really handsome couple came in the shop not too long before we closed. After selecting some flies, the woman comes up to the front counter to check out. She needs her fishing license. Her name is Barbara. I ask, "Are you Barbara from the message board?" Sure enough! :)

Barbara, it was great to see you! I know your out west trip will be mag!

Paula

Barbara
03-07-2007, 10:39 AM
Paula,
How nice! My husband says you are mainly referring to him but I am sure you are mainly referring to me.

My husband, Jack, didn't notice I bought a fishing license. He thought I was shelling out $100 for a few "bugs". He is usually pretty tolerant of my obsessions but as soon as the truck door closed he was ready to "discuss". He calmed right down when I explained about out-of-state license costs.

I can hardly wait for Sept. to go somewhere west to fish. But I will pass the time fishing the Smoky Mts. every chance I get. Wish the water would warm up.

Thank you for the nice comment and thanks to the nice gentleman who helped me select nymph/flies.

Jswitow
03-07-2007, 06:10 PM
Barbara,
We went out last summer and had some great fishing(there is so much of it!). We based out of Livingston and fished lots of different kinds of water, though none in the Park. We fished DePuy's one day, spent a day with Hank Bechard of Yellowstone Angler on the lower Yellowstone (fished hoppers all day!) Fished the Gallatin (lots of fish on Golden Stone dries) and the Shields (where my brother-in-law took the largest fish of the trip) This summer I am supposed to fly out to meet my brother-in-law who lives in Sandy, by the Provo. It is good, but we are planning on heading (tentatively) toward the Henry's Fork, then South Fork and on to Ennis. If it is as good as the fishing was within an hour of Livingston, then it will be fantastic. Livingston is a great town though, more to my liking than Bozeman for a base of operations.
So many options! Hope this helps. I had a fellow tell me to fish the West Boulder last summer, we didn't get to that, if you have the time though it is supposed to be fantastic. I heard the same of the West(or was it North) Gallatin. As I said lots of opportunities. The fishing was easy compared to the Smokies, even DePuy's. I fished almost exclusively with dries, something I rarely do around here. I usually start with them, but switch to nymphs if rises are not evident.
Anyway I will stop rambling, good luck!
John

donwinn
03-08-2007, 02:59 PM
Barbara,

I have fished in both Montana and Wyoming, mostly on my own however. I did use a guide in Cody and had good success. I think Yellowstone is overrated, although fishing the Firehole, etc. and seeing the steam climbing from the ground around you is quite interesting. You can avoid some crowds by fishing the famous rivers outside the park. Red Lodge is primarily a ski resort although there are some good remote lakes and streams in the Bear Tooth range that are outstanding. The town itself is quite neat and the views are beautiful. Anywhere in the upper northwest, unless you get in populated areas, can contain bears.

My most enjoyable day on the water in Montana was on the Bitterroot near Missoula. I fished with Drew Miller out Grizzly Hackle in Missoula.

I have not done a back trip, always wanted to though. Have a great trip.

Ellsworth
03-09-2007, 09:13 AM
"Having a hard time finding a place I like that has openings the dates I will be out there"

Give Holly a call at the Silver Gate/Pine Edge Cabinsl. If she is booked
call Brooke at the Grizzly Lodge. (surrounded on 3 sides by the Soda Butte)

Silver Gate is wedged between Cooke City and the Park.

Barbara
03-09-2007, 09:35 AM
Thanks to everyone who posted suggestions. Trip planning is on hold while I fish Tremont one more day, then I can go back to working on the trip west. Everyone has been to different places and all had a good time. It seems no matter where you go out there, the fishing is great. I can't decide if that is reality or a dream! Can't wait to find out.