PDA

View Full Version : First fish on a fly you tied?

TroutDude
01-28-2007, 03:18 PM
After reading the last post "First Dry Fly" by redc4man, I'm wondering what was the first fish you all caught on a fly you tied. Any stories?

My first smokies trout was on a size 16 partridge and green ribbed with pearl flash. Everytime I drive by the spot I get a bit misty.

Dude

Kevin_Thomas
01-28-2007, 04:17 PM
I just started tying last weekend, so I've not been fishing yet... but when I do I'll have my camera ;) If the weather cooperates I may try some tailwater next weekend.

92Esquire
01-28-2007, 06:34 PM
Just last weekend I caught a Clinch rainbow on a black/silver zebra midge I tied. It was the first time I caught a fish on a fly I tied.

ChemEAngler
01-28-2007, 09:37 PM
My first was a rainbow on the clinch using a # 16 BH pheasant tail. Still to this day, I find myself drifting back to the BHPT when things are slow.

Stonefly
01-28-2007, 10:30 PM
My first was about 30 yrs ago, a rainbow in Hurricane Creek (?) off I-40 at Exit 143 in Middle Tennessee, on a caddis larvae pattern made of tan rubber strip from a dental supply. Recently saw a similar pattern using a common rubber band. Anyway, I saw the the fish approach the fly lying on the bottom of a pool, crawled the fly a bit and he took it.

sb

appalachian angler
01-29-2007, 10:49 AM
About 6 years ago, below a Dam in January on the 1st fork of Sinnamahoning Creek in N. central Pa. I took a 12" rainbow on a sz 10 wooly worm. I think the fish was just as stunned as me! :D

Dave
02-03-2007, 08:41 AM
I was about 12 and a friend of my neighbors dad taught us how to make popping bugs. We must have done 10 or so each that day. We caught bluegills all summer on them.

I received a fly tying kit shortly thereafter and learned early that about anything with squirrel tail in it caught fish - that was particularly bad news for neighborhood squirrels!

buckeyetrouter
02-03-2007, 08:58 AM
the first fish on a lure that I made was was a rock bass on a spinner I made and it was in the Auglaize River in Ohio....the first fish on a fly was a big fat b-gill on an ugly bead head nymph I made with no pattern to go with......boy when you start tying without any instruction or someone to guide you, you really come up with some ugly flys.....

buckeye

Flat Fly n
02-04-2007, 09:28 AM
A rainbow caught with a sulphur dry that took over an hour to tie (no lessons, no classes, just books and trial and error) on the Smith River tailwater in VA in 1980. Caught the 10" beast on my $25 EXXON fly rod, (no joke, made from graphite/fiberglass) with a Martin reel.

Flat Fly'n

stretch
02-04-2007, 01:04 PM
The first fish I hooked up with was 13 years ago on the clinch, it was spring and the sun had not even come up, the fly was an orange scud. I could barely make out where my indicator was, due to the lack of light and cool haze that was over the water, but the indicator sunk and I set the hook and the fish took a good run in some fast water and broke off *:'( I remember the feeling of excitement and sadness that I never got to land the fish on the first fly I tied.
Stretch

Troutman
02-05-2007, 10:25 AM
My first fish on my own fly was on a simple yellow elk hair caddis that was drifting out of a little riffle into a nice emerald green pool on Abrams creek. A beautiful little rainbow about 10" long. Yes, It was quite a good day. 8-)

Waterborn
02-05-2007, 01:30 PM
On Tremont with a thunderhead...you couldn't smack the grin off my face for a week..

Trouttater
02-05-2007, 06:36 PM
The first fish on a fly was with my father on the Tieton River in E. Wash. It was a small brown caddis with a wood duck flank wing, no hackle. I remember picking out of the flybox, because the caddis ( I didn't know what they were at the time. They were just brown fuzzy bugs to me) were so thick that they were in my ears and nose. My casting was poor at best and I flipped the little brown fly into a riffle, where it was quickly snatched up by a small trout. The rest of the evening was the same. That was probably 20 years ago, and I have yet to encounter a caddis hatch of that magnitude again.

Brad

MTN_TRT
02-06-2007, 11:39 AM
Ya know Im only 16 years old and Ive been ffishing for 2 or 3 years and last winter I started tying, but I cannot for the life of me remember the first fish on a fly I tied.!!! Gimme a second...

Ok I got it- first fly I tied after I took a tying class. I was a size10 Hares Ear Nymph. The first day of spring last year. Really warm, I flipped it into a pocket a caught a little rainbow....couldnt believe it. More couldnt believe the first fish on a fly...thats a big story though.

I still have my Hares Ear nymph, never tied it on again.

MTN_TRT
LIFE IS GOOD

cdu1961
02-07-2007, 02:46 PM
;Dmy first was last year .caught 2lbs largemouth on 2x clouser minnow, olive blackand white.i was on the emory river where it runs into the clinch.what a rush.

Kevin_Thomas
02-11-2007, 07:31 PM
Got this little guy on a prince I tied last week... My first on a fly I tied!

http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o286/redc4man/P1010588.jpg

buckeyetrouter
02-11-2007, 07:59 PM
congrats on the first on your fly....just curious, did you have any luck on that glass bead head green weenie yet......

Abby and I have decided on trying the Au Sable this summer in Grayling MI. I will have to find some fly patterns to tie up for that trip.....

congrats again
buckeye

Kevin_Thomas
02-11-2007, 08:16 PM
Saving the weenies for summer...

FFM4LIFE
02-25-2007, 09:33 AM
I have been tying flies since christmas,and have been dying to try out my patterns. Well, yesterday i went to a friend of mines house and he has a huge pond with a veriety of fish in it. I wasnt expecting any thing cause it has been so cold. I was using a poper to try to get some blue gill to rise but never saw 1. I turned to a olive BH Woolley Bugger that i tied up. I think it was my very first Bugger. Suprisingly on my very first cast i caught a small blue gill. It wasnt the biggest fish but i was so excited to catch my first fish on a fly i tied. Thanks to the Olive BH Woolley Bugger!!!

Chuckwalla
03-01-2007, 09:49 PM
A small brown on a #16 BHPT,