PDA

View Full Version : Gatlinburg Condos/Hotels Advice Needed

rlockwood
01-29-2007, 04:07 PM
Ladies and Gentlemen:

I need travel advice. I usually camp in the park, but I am taking my wife and kids to Gatlinburg for 4 days over spring break. This means at least one day fishing on my own!!! But, at the other times the family will need to be entertained by the glories of Gatlinburg and Pidgeon Forge.

We're looking for someplace with an indoor or heated pool that the kids can play in if its cold. A condo or cabin would be preferable so that we could have a kitchen and save food costs. Finally, non-smoking would be a big plus.

Any replies would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Robert

Sivad
01-29-2007, 05:15 PM
Try these sites they may help. Good luck.

http://www.gatlinburg-tennessee.com/

http://www.gatlinburgcabinsonline.com/

http://www.gatlinburg.com/

RFowler
01-29-2007, 09:41 PM
Park Place Condos. Ski Mountain Rd, cross the river and it'll be on your left. Borders the park and you'll have the Little Pigeon right in front of you. You can walk to the restaurants. No heated pool. Unfortunately for us both, I don't know the new owners. The fellow that sold it gave me great deals and let me extend to my guests. I'm still cussin' him for selling! :)

rlockwood
01-30-2007, 08:55 AM
Thanks for the replies. Any other suggestions are welcome, because we are probably going to book something today or tomorrow, and we want to explore all options.

Of course, my wife says to me last night. "I found this great place: the LeConte Lodge." Now, ordinarily I'd be all for that suggestion. But, the smart alec in me had to point out some deficiencies in that plan. 1. While I hear the Lodge is a great place, I don't think they've got an indoor pool at the top of the mountain; 2. It's something like a six mile hike in, and our six year old can't walk six yards without complaining about how tired he is; 3. You've got to get reservations WAAAY in advance.

Of course, she stomps off in a huff. Nevertheless, I have the greatest wife in the world. The mere fact that she will give me a day to myself and watch the kids in the middle of a family vacation says volumes.

Ahh! Late March. I can see the hatches now! Rolling streams! Rising Trout! Perfect Casts! No hang ups in trees! No missed strikes!

We can all dream.

Robert

sammcdonald
01-30-2007, 12:01 PM
zoder's best western has a heated pool indoors. they also have suites to let you get away from the kids for a while. next door is the trout house, which serves up yummy trout fixed about a million ways.
sam

mmorgan135
01-31-2007, 12:47 AM
We just got back from the Park Place Condos. The one that we stayed in was super nice. It was a short walk to anything but off the strip enough to not hear the traffic and sorts. Besides I caught a few fish infront of the bridge standing on the riprap before I left. ;D

ttas67
01-31-2007, 04:29 PM
if you'd be willing to sit through a high pressure sales presentation, you could probably stay in one of the many timeshare resorts for free.

Woody
01-31-2007, 05:17 PM
Townsend has some great hotels and a really good price. Your just a short drive from the "burg". Talley Ho and Highland Inn are very nice. In Gatlinburg the Bearskin Lodge, River Terrace, and Best Western Twin River ????%$!@*& I think. All are along the river and fishing is just a few steps away.

Hawgdaddy
02-01-2007, 12:39 PM
It's been quite awhile since I've stayed there (3 years or so), but the Oak Square Condominiums on River Road near Bennett's BBQ used to be a great deal. They were inexpensive, had an indoor heated pool, and since it's on River Road, you had quick and less-trafficy access to the park for fishing. You might want to check them out. Take care,

hawgdaddy

rlockwood
02-01-2007, 01:05 PM
Thank you to everyone for the input. My wife booked a place that she liked from the internet. We'll see how it goes :-/ In any event, I get to fish and I will post a report. Only 49 days to go .... not that I'm counting.

Robert

RFowler
02-03-2007, 04:02 PM
Robert,

It's a shame she didn't want to book Park Place. While you're there, give Best Italian a try. It's located in a small plaza (Elks) beside Howards steak house. It's in the very back. You should take a look at Park Place while you're there. I'm curious about where your wife booked?

mmorgan, how long have you been staying at PP? I've been staying there for 7 years. Bill (the guy that used to own it) Marie, Cathy, and Amanda, were like family. I even went to Amanda's wedding. I'm pretty sure Marie and Cathy still work there. They were the main reason I stayed their so much but the location of the place is ideal for Gatlinburg, even when it's crowded. If my guests want to stay in Gatlinburg I don't even consider sending them anywhere else.