PDA

View Full Version : Backpacking in April

donwinn
01-31-2007, 03:32 PM
I am trying to plan a trip in mid to late April to pack in and camp for about three - four days of fishing. I am looking for suggestions on trails and streams. I understand Hazel creek is good, but you need a boat carry-in and pick-up. Any suggestions or recommendations?

DryFly1
01-31-2007, 06:09 PM
donwinn,

Depending on what side of the mountain you want to fish there are many choices. It also depends on what you want to fish for. There are endless suggestions on where to camp and fish. I have never been disappointed at any back country stream that I have chosen.

I suggest getting a map or using the GSMNP web site and investigate potential streams and park areas that you are interested in. A month out from your trip call and get a reservation for the campsite if it requires one and make sure you get a pass available at any ranger station the day of departure. I realize that this is rather vague but there are so many options. For me its about the adventure and exploration.
Mark...

hw3
01-31-2007, 06:13 PM
Have never been to Hazel Creek in other than the fall. Is a special and almost magical place. You can walk in from the dam, but it is abt 15 miles to the trailhead. Boat in/out has gotten to about $50.00, but if you are going to stay awhile, probably worth it. Don't know if I'd try this alone; is about as remote a place as in GSMNP. I usually go th Bone Valley with a bunch, six or so, others, and we push carts with abt 100# of gear/stuff/food/whiskey per person to the campsite. Is abt a four hour trek in, and about half that coming out. All depends on water level and how far up H.CK. the boat can get before dropping us off. Watson

sammcdonald
01-31-2007, 06:32 PM
On the Tennessee side, you can do some great back country fishing and camping in the areas above and between elkmont and tremont. and you are close enough to get out if the april fickle weather strikes...which it often does with swift and dangerous snowfalls and thunderstorms.
sam

donwinn
02-01-2007, 10:45 AM
I am trying to plan a trip in mid to late April to pack in and camp for about three - four days of fishing. *I am looking for suggestions on trails and streams. *I understand Hazel creek is good, but you need a boat carry-in and pick-up. *Any suggestions or recommendations?

Thanks to everyone for the information. Good ideas and suggestions.

MTN_TRT
02-01-2007, 11:25 AM
Donwinn,

Just be careful where ever you go. You can get turned around pretty darn quick in the mountains, especially when you're focused on your fly! Make sure you keep all of your food up and out of reach (you know what I mean by that ;) ). The weather can switch quick, especially in a place like the Smokies. Take some kind of water purification system, and enough warm clothes, and always have your raingear with you. Dont worry about running out of food, that is, along as the fish are bitin'! Stay safe and have a great trip this Spring!

MTN_TRT
LIFE IS GOOD