PDA

View Full Version : Spot for fishing wet flies?

TroutDude
02-03-2007, 12:05 AM
I'm thinking about doing an experiment on one of my next trips to the park... going an entire trip fishing only traditional wet flies and soft hackles. Any ideas on some of the best places for this. I'll let you know how it turns out.

Dude

DryFly1
02-03-2007, 08:27 AM
Troutdude,

Sounds like a geat enterprise. * As they are often fished shallow with a dead drift or on the swing,I can't think of a place where they would not be productive and maybe even "Lethal!" *Been thinking alot about fishing these more this year. *Great topic! Looking forward to the report. *My bet is you are going to catch alot of trout!

Mark....

David Knapp
02-03-2007, 01:41 PM
I've done well early in the season swinging wet flies and soft hackles on Abrams...

Rog 1
02-04-2007, 01:26 PM
When I first started fishing the Park with my grandfather he would tell me that when he first started fishing these rivers all they had were wet flies and would fish a tandem rig.....one of the best days I ever experienced was in a warm, light rain above the forks of the river of Elkmont....was using a lead wing coachman and was catching fish on every cast.....caught one of my biggest bows up high on it also but on a sunny day....good luck and let us know how you do.

MTN_TRT
02-04-2007, 04:45 PM
I love fishin wet flies A few times last summer I was on the SoHo and the fish were takin sulphurs. Well, high sun and tailwater trout taking dries doesnt mix for me. So I put on a partridge and yellow and swung it in front of their faces. I think everyone else on the water was jealous ;). Alot of times, for some reason, I get caught upstream of rising fish. Put on a wet fly and hold on! Not alot of people fish that way anymore, Im not sure why. Let us know how ya do.

MTN_TRT
LIFE IS GOOD

Sage
02-06-2007, 03:51 PM
Dude,

They'll work anywhere. Let me give you a suggestion of how to fish them vs where to fish them. Try different depths and really controlling where they drift. Start on one side of the stream and work your way left or right (depending) trying to have the fly move only 6-8" at a time. See how that works and let us know.

gjbu
02-06-2007, 05:55 PM
I do not tie much where can you find wets like the Leadwing Coachman?

DryFly1
02-07-2007, 01:52 AM
Hey gjbu,

You might contact LRO and see if they have them in stock. If not, they can probably order them and ship them to you.

Freestone
02-24-2007, 06:30 PM
Although I haven't ever tried a wet fly or soft hackle in the park, I did use them
quite a bit out in Colorado while I lived out there. I decided to tie up a few soft
hackles and try them. I was kicking myself! I had the problem of thinking that they were old fashioned and I didn't want to try them. Boy, was I glad I did.
I had a blast casting and swinging with the current. When things are slow, I tie one on to my tippet and it usually spruces things up.

Your idea sounds like a good one. I would love to spend a summer just fishing those and experimenting with different material combinations and colors.

Good luck and have fun.
Tight lines.

Woody
02-25-2007, 05:03 PM
Sounds intresting. Like playing an entire round of golf with a five iron. At the end of the day you'll probably score the same. But you have created something challenging and diffrent. Sound like fun. I have a hard enough time catching fish even with all the latest state of the art "win-dings" and "thing-ama-jigs".

Jack M.
02-25-2007, 06:27 PM
I do not tie much where can you find wets like the Leadwing Coachman?

This wouldn't be too much different: http://littleriveroutfitters.com/store/product.php?productid=17448&cat=988&page=1

Check out all the wetfly offerings at LROs on-line catalog.

Freestone
02-25-2007, 08:15 PM
Woody,

I'm a lot like you. I have a lot of trouble even catching fish. Thats why I wrote in a previous response that I was kicking myself that I didn't try wet flies sooner.
I was catching fish on 80% of my casts! Now fishing the same type of fly all of the time would probably get a little bit boring, but its always a good standby when things are slow or you can't seem to match the hatch.

I guess we need to learn to think like fish!!

gjbu
02-26-2007, 10:06 PM
I did call LRO and although they did not have leadwing coachmans I ordered a dozen parachute adams and a bunch of leaders and tippet. LRO is a great shop with great customer service.