PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning flies???

Kevin_Thomas
02-04-2007, 03:59 PM
I use Shimizaki dry shake and that gets my flies pretty gummed up after a few uses. Is there any way to save these flies? :-?

David Knapp
02-04-2007, 04:05 PM
I've heard steam does a good job of rejuvenating mangled flies. Never tried it myself though...I usually just cut off the materials and reuse the hook if it is still good or throw it away if it has started to rust.

MTN_TRT
02-04-2007, 06:43 PM
Yeah, Ive heard something about steaming flies too. I think it was about rejuvenating messed up hackle or something like that.

MTN_TRT
LIFE IS GOOD

Kevin_Thomas
02-06-2007, 07:11 PM
Busted out the steam shark today and guess what... It worked. I put the flies in the vice, blasted them with steam and presto chango... clean flies! The only component that was stubborn was cowtail, everything else cleaned up easy! Thanks guys!

Sage
02-16-2007, 03:55 PM
I used the shake for a while, still do some, but I've developed a new preference for drying/treating and man do my flies last longer. I sprung for an Amadu (sp?) patch to dry the fly, then brush on a little frog's fanny powder. It takes a few seconds longer, but if I'm using a hot fly, it sure lasts longer and stays on top of the water longer. This steam idea sounds like a winner. Good idea, thanks.