PDA

View Full Version : Clinch tomorrow

Kevin_Thomas
02-06-2007, 10:21 PM
I'm going to the Clinch tomorrow and have only had success at Miller's Island. I'd like to try something different, and if it doesn't work I'll go to Miller's and do what works. Any suggestions for fishing at the weir or just below the dam? How bad will the crowd be at 11:00? Thanks in advance!

Kevin

FFM4LIFE
02-06-2007, 10:57 PM
I have had some luck right above the weir dam. It is the parking lot where they park the horse trailers. There is a few trails to access the water.Good luck!!

ffm4life

Kevin_Thomas
02-06-2007, 10:58 PM
BTW... It will be my first time fishing with my own flies! I hope to have some pics!!!! I've tied lots of small stuff, mostly black, olive, gold, copper or a mad combination.... with various beadheads! I've got a system, I hope it works. :)

Kevin_Thomas
02-06-2007, 10:59 PM
FFM,

Right at the weir or at the canoe launch?

ttas67
02-07-2007, 01:41 AM
kevin, a little advice, be careful and don't fall in, it's pretty cold out. I wouldn't think it would be too crowded being a weekday in the dead of winter, but who knows? good luck! wait, I think you've already got all the fishing luck you need.

Green Weenie
02-07-2007, 08:58 AM
I've always done pretty well just below the weir dam. Try drifting the shallow runs with a midge pattern. You also may want to drift a blood midge in some of the pools just below the weir. Let me know how it turns out.

Sivad
02-07-2007, 09:25 AM
redc4man

Try behind the jail in Clinton. You can park at the baptist church and fish from the jail up stream ti the Island. It is a good section of the river. Below is a pIcture fron a foggy morning.

http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s174/sivad14/100_1868.jpg

Good Luck

PAtrick

Hydropsyche
02-07-2007, 09:55 AM
Hey red

Im probably going to head over that way around eleven when they shut the water off. I have been down there about 5 times in the last week or so and catching a lot of fish, mostly small ones, but some that bend the rod a little. Ive been fishing with zebra midges, but last night I tied up a few midge emergers to try and pick up a fish or two that is sipping out of the surface film. We will probably see a lot of fish doing that today, midges seem to hatch off pretty steadily lately and you see lots of fish feeding that way.

Ill look for you down there

cheers

Kevin_Thomas
02-07-2007, 10:07 AM
how long does it take for the water to go down at the jail?

sent you a pm hydro...

Sivad
02-07-2007, 10:45 AM
It will take the water 4 to five hour to get to the jail on 2 or more gen. If they have been running all night it will take about 6-8 hrs for the water to go down.

http://www.crctu.com/Drain_Down/clinch_drain.htm

The Link above is from the TU chapter of the clinch.

Waterborn
02-07-2007, 05:38 PM
Has anyone found out any definate resolution about anglers using the church parking lot to fish that section....

As it used to be, you had to park between the jail and impound lot, by the dumpsters...

Then you were told to go to the other side to the boat ramp to put in an wade up...

Running Wolf? You out there with any real time info?

I haven't fished that section since they broke ground because of the churches hesitation to have anglers around during construction and then there was a question as to wether legitimate access was going to be granted to non congregation members to use the property as river access due to insurance issues and then having to deal with irresponsible individuals that has fuel the flames of public river access / high water mark vs private land owner debates on the clinch...

Waterborn
02-07-2007, 05:40 PM
yeah, gotta love that nice long run on sentence - sorry, but then again, I'm no english teacher niether... :D

Sivad
02-07-2007, 06:02 PM
The last time I went to the section behind the jail was over the christmas season. I parked in the chruch parking becuase there is a sign by the dumpsters that states no parking at the jail. When I was there a chruch member went into the chruch and said nothing to me. So I hope it will stay that way as long as people respect the chruch property. If you can't park at the church or jail you can park at the soccer fields and walk up behind the road to access the river. Be careful of the alarm behind the jail. I love the that section of the clinch.

Patrick

FFM4LIFE
02-07-2007, 07:23 PM
redc4man ,

It's just a little above the weir. Not even a half a mile. Personally its one of my favorite places to fish on the clinch.

FFM4LIFE

Kevin_Thomas
02-07-2007, 08:32 PM
OK.... Today was not so great. I managed to hook a few, but only brought one to my hand and it was on an emerger I bought from LRO. It was cold, windy and cold & windy. Saw some others doing OK, but I lost interest. I'm gonna have to wait for some better weather. That wind was tough!

Kevin

UTKFlyFisher
02-07-2007, 09:36 PM
I was down at the weir today, landed a ton of small rainbows and browns, 1 decent sized rainbow, and lost a really nice one after a nice little fight. I caught most on a small zebra midge, and 1 on a soft hackle that I tied up. The wind was tough, but didn't have to cast to far. ;)

Kevin_Thomas
02-07-2007, 09:56 PM
Congrats 2 u!!! The wind aggravated my body temp more than my cast.... No wind knots, just wind chill!!!!

ttas67
02-08-2007, 10:33 PM
so you didn't catch one on a fly you tied? go ahead and get some quill gordons and BWOs tied up. I feel them coming soon.

Kevin_Thomas
02-08-2007, 11:05 PM
Not this time... but I will! It was sooooo cold. The biggest problem was that I forgot my stocking cap. Without it I was freezing! I took a couple of blousing straps and tried to protect my ears, but it just made me look stupid. At least the fish got a good laugh...