PDA

View Full Version : Good Luck Charms?

TroutDude
02-06-2007, 11:17 PM
Hey people,

Do any of you have a superstition or good luck charm that involves fishing?

Dude

doghaircaddis
02-06-2007, 11:21 PM
Before I fish a nymph I rub it on a stream/river rock.

Kevin_Thomas
02-06-2007, 11:27 PM
Not that I know of, but it's possible. I am crazy lucky when fishing. I can hold my own pretty well on small streams, but I have luck most everywhere I go. This summer I went bait fishing with some friends at Watts Bar. I had to borrow a spin rod (LOL). I went with a good ole Wilson County country boy. And sure enough, the fish were jumping in my lap. I caught about every species they have over there, didn't catch a glow fish though ;). I gave him a good ribbing, but he's 6'4" and about 250# so I backed off after a bit. Good luck charm..... maybe ::)

ttas67
02-07-2007, 01:00 AM
now, not to say that kevin is not a good fisherman, but he does seem to have some kind of luck. I was with him the first time he went to the clinch. it was really crowded, so we were fishing pretty much the same little run. within the first couple of casts, he had on a fish. then another, and another. I hadn't even gotten a strike. we were fishing pretty much the same fly too. every minute or so I'd look over at him, he'd be landing another one, laughing and saying something like, "they're just jumping onto my hook!" I think I ended up catching up with him later on, but for the first hour or so, I couldn't, and still can't explain how he was catching all those fish.

DryFly1
02-07-2007, 02:03 AM
Hey ttas67, It's the powerbait! ;)

No superstitions or charms here

So TroutDude, any superstitions or charms ?

Mark...

mtnman2888
02-07-2007, 06:47 AM
Haha a good thread! I got one, may be a little weird but here she goes......

When i was in high school, my best friend starting dating this girl (they're getting married in 3 months!) and i became good friends with her and we all became very close. Anyways, knowing my love for fishing, she gave me a present one day and i opened it up. It was a pen, but no ordinary pen, it was a rainbow trout pen! If i can remember i will post a picture of it later tonight. This trout was given a name, Leroy the rainbow trout, and became kind of a joke throughout the years between us. I decided one day that i would take the pen with me fishing and that day was the best day of fishing i have ever had. Since then, good ol' Leroy has not left my vest but only one time, and i didn't catch a fish all day. Coincidence.................

Craig

TroutDude
02-07-2007, 08:29 PM
I actually do have a charm although, I don’t know how lucky it is. It is a tiny plastic pig that my nephew gave me years ago. It travels in my leader wallet wherever I go. As for my “superstition,” it actually started about 4 years ago. The first time I fished Abrams I had a rough time of it. I was fishing the horseshoe mid April, and had caught a couple small fish but nothing worth writing home about. I had managed to slip a couple of times and finally fell backward sitting on a inclined rock cracking my net and losing my sunglasses. After losing my sunglasses I was having a very hard time seeing the fly. So I put on a size 12 yellow stimulator with a nymph dropper. The fish started hammering that dry fly. I ended up catching close to 2 dozen, the last 3 being the most memorable. I took 2 rainbows that were 14-16. The last fish I hooked was well over 18 inches. It took off downstream and wrapped me around a submerged structure and broke me off. Well I only had 1 stimulator left and it was starting to get late so I clipped the wing and hackle off, tossed the cut remnants into the air and tipped my hat to that fish. It is one of my most memorable fish. That’s how I end every trip … a hackle tribute to the fishing gods.

Dude

buckeyetrouter
02-08-2007, 08:13 AM
I typically carry a buckeye with me, and often times have a few extra for others when thier day isn't going so well.......

buckyetrouter

MTN_TRT
02-08-2007, 10:07 AM
Ok I have a LifeIsGood necklace and bracelet that I never take off anyway, but it helps the fishing. Seriously, I asked a little rainbow one day....ok fine dont believe me. I also wear my LiveStrong band all the time, its for warmwater fishing....yep. I do talk alot to the fish, doubt that helps me. I tend to ramble some days ;) bet they get tired of listening to me, Molly probably does too. Oh well....

MTN_TRT
LIFE IS GOOD