PDA

View Full Version : porter

lauxier
02-07-2007, 01:06 AM
my friend Porter fishes cane only--he dropped by the store today--was still driving his 1968'ish Porsche 912 from ****--it is a great car--lot's of rust--driven--much too far--too many miles,fishing miles--Says he may go back to teaching--at Appalachian State---Chemistry---He is 76 years old--He likesthe streams of North Carolina--He likes Abrams--he owns over 125 bamboo rods--he collects them---he fishes the smokies,tellico,the clinch.Hiswife Ann lost to cancer--Their marriage was by no means perfect.,they were married 51 years.Porter misses Ann. Ann'sdeath has finally given Porter the freedom to fish.Porter finds fishing too lonely,these days, because he feels alone,Ann is no longer there,at the end of the day--the morale of the story????---

hw3
02-07-2007, 02:27 PM
While it is definate you can have too many dogs, and it is only possible to have too many shotguns, it is not possible to have too many fly rods.

kytroutman
02-07-2007, 04:01 PM
His collection is admirable. I was recently reading a similar story where the gentleman actually donated his collection of 150+ bamboo rods to a local TU Chapter. The chapter in turn, auctioned the collection, piece by piece to fund their youth programs and stream remediation work. As HW said, you can never have too many flyrods.

Paula Begley
02-07-2007, 04:42 PM
The moral of the story is:

All the dogs you can own, all the guns you could want, all the time in the world to fish with 125 bamboo fly rods, all these things are cold comfort in the loneliness of a lost love.

Paula ;)

Gerry Romer
02-07-2007, 10:58 PM
I was gonna say, "Gather ye roses..." but whenI typed it the first time it came out, "Gather ye rods...." ;)

Gerry

lauxier
02-07-2007, 11:20 PM
porter also has a bunch of fiberglass rods---saw one rod made by winston--a 4 wt 7 ft---very parabolic---very slow---was dark red in color--porter believes the rod was manufactured recently---said winston didn't make many---anybody have info on this rod--lauxier

Paula Begley
02-08-2007, 08:30 AM
Lauxier

Could be a Scott. I have one from on the early to mid 90's; fiberglass; red blank; not sanded...the fiberglass wraps are left looking kind of like ribbing. Does that sound like his?

Paula

MTN_TRT
02-08-2007, 09:58 AM
Moral of the story...

Women ruin everything. ( ;D) Everything from good dogs to flyfishing. So fellas save all that money you would spend on her and go buy another rod...atleast it doesnt complain. ;)

MTN_TRT
LIFE IS GOOD

Stonefly
02-08-2007, 10:03 AM
I swear! Mtn_trt is 16 and he has it all figured out. Some of us take longer to learn how it is!

sb

;D

Paula Begley
02-08-2007, 10:05 AM
;D ;D

The next step in life is to figure out who holds the ability to banninate from message boards! *;)

Paula ;)

Stonefly
02-08-2007, 10:08 AM
Sorry Paula. Just a joke! Shoot, I'm not even sure what banninate means.

sb

:-/

Paula Begley
02-08-2007, 10:15 AM
I know it was a joke... ;) (I was joking also)

Bannination is the joking internet slang for *to be banned*.

Carry on. 8-)

Paula ;)

hw3
02-08-2007, 02:53 PM
My hat's off to Paula. Takes a woman's touch and insight to get to the real moral of the tale. Enough of my feminine side, anyone want to get some Snickers? Watson

MTN_TRT
02-08-2007, 03:17 PM
I was joking too.....really I was. I truly think that the only woman I need is my mom. But not that Ill live at home or anything. I think thats why I like fishing so much, cuz I kinda understand it (unlike girls). And YES women do ruin dogs, I deeply believe in affection but come on its a dog- dont baby it!

Dont ban me....Paula ;)

MTN_TRT
LIFE IS GOOD

Paula Begley
02-08-2007, 06:55 PM
hw3...that was the most hysterical commercial of the entire Super Bowl!

Just for the record...I was thinking about this thread and putting myself in porter's place.

I love my dogs, I love my guns and I love my fly rods...if I did not have Byron to share that with me, I would be lonely. *But....I would not let it ruin my flyfishing! *;)

Paula

Everyone is safe from bannination! *:)

ijsouth
02-09-2007, 01:03 AM
Believe me...loneliness is everything it's cracked up to be...