PDA

View Full Version : Backpacking Trip March 4-11

mmorgan135
02-07-2007, 03:16 AM
I have decided to try my first extended back packing/fishing sometime over my spring break. I am hoping that the weather will warm up enough to make the fishing worth while but will also just enjoy getting out and camping as well. I am interested in where you guys think would be my best bet to try this. Do you think the weather will be on a warming trend by this time to help spark fishing? Finally just any other tips or pointers to help me plan this.

Is there anyone else out there with these dates available that might be interested in tagging along?

mtnman2888
02-07-2007, 06:32 AM
I wish i could go! I'm always looking for someone to go deep in the backcountry with me, but unfortunately work will not allow me to take that much time off at once. Maybe we can go sometime for a day, though.

Sounds like a great trip, though. There's really no telling what the weather will be doing then, it's pretty much a crapshoot. Could be warm and could still be cold, you never know. The weather around here can be so weird, i can remember the biggest snowstorm in my lifetime happening in march, the blizzard of '94(?, somewhere around there), but i can also more recently remember it being very warm. Hopefully the weather will turn out warm for you and a good trip will be in store.

Craig

DryFly1
02-07-2007, 08:36 AM
mmorgan135,

If I didn't already have plans I would most certainly go! *March, march,march? *Snow,"****",sleet,rain or beautiful weather, you just never know. *I think the most important thing here is a hiking/fishing partner and good planning for a week in the backcountry. *If you do alot of weekend or overnighters then you are well aware of the necessity of the above.

Where to go? *When I answer this question I typically say grab your map and pick a spot. *At this time of year I would stay in the lower elevations thus providing a quicker exit strategy if needed. *Don't forget your BC pass and a reservation if needed. *Have a great trip and let us know how it goes..

Mark....

ijsouth
02-07-2007, 09:53 AM
i can remember the biggest snowstorm in my lifetime happening in march, the blizzard of '94(?, somewhere around there)

Craig

I remember that! Believe it or not, it snowed here in Louisiana, so I can imagine how bad it was up there. It started out with a ferocious wind/rain storm - at least 60-70 MPH winds, and then it changed over to snow later that night.

Of course, within a few days it was pushing 80 again, but you're right - March can have some interesting weather.

Troutman
02-07-2007, 10:22 AM
March 1993. *The snowstorm stranded a group of hikers from some college in Michigan in the smokies. My army reserve unit was activated and we flew helo evacuation missions from Alcoa and airlifted them back to the airport in Knoxville. They also brought in Apache helos from Ft. Campbell to help locate them with heat signatures.
I usually camp at Elkmont around Easter and the Temps at night have been down in the teens. Dress for the unpredictable weather and leave your plans with someone at home just in case.
Sounds like a fun trip though the water will probably still be cold in the higher elevations. Good luck :)

mmorgan135
02-07-2007, 10:45 AM
just to clarify, I dont plan on staying the whole time. That is just a block of days that I have off and that gives me flexibility due to weather.

Vern
02-07-2007, 11:40 AM
When I was in college ( @ 1983 or 1984) a bunch of men on the dorm floor took a trip to the Cranberry River in WV. We took a coule of guys that had never camped before. the road into the camp ground at time was gravel and the paved road was closed when it snowed. It was in the later part of March, we didn't worry about snow. Bad move, 5 young men in a canvas tent and it snowed over a foot. No way in or out. The outdoors men in the group were perrty much prepared but the city slickes brought cotton sweat ect. Needless to say they were misserable. the 2nd day the Guard came in in a duce and half brought food and water. We were there for 3 days before we could get out. I had a great time fished every day. The city dudes huddled around the fire trying to stay warm and dry. So, if you go in March be prepared for anything.

David Knapp
02-07-2007, 01:24 PM
I'll probably be up in the park around that time since it is spring break! I'll be sticking to car camping probably that time of year though...

cdu1961
02-07-2007, 01:50 PM
;DI believe this is called extreme camping. extremely close to the car.

mmorgan135
02-07-2007, 02:20 PM
I'll probably be up in the park around that time since it is spring break! *I'll be sticking to car camping probably that time of year though... *

Come on PA, you know you want to go on a extended camping trip.

big irish
02-12-2007, 06:42 PM
3 buddies and I were in the GSMNP last March for a 3-day backpacking trip. We were there over St. Pattys Day, so a little later in the month than you will be there. I would look at the Little River Trail above Elkmont. You can make a reservation at one of a few backcountry sites on that trail- I can't remember the specific site number we picked (32? 33?) but it was about 4.5 miles from the trailhead. Anyway, the trail is moderate from Elkmont to just below Fish Camp Prong/Goshen Prong trail where it changes from an old RR bed to a tougher single track. The trail pretty much follows the river with good access points along the way and only a few crossings for several miles...so you can scout some nice spots and fish as you go. Additionally, Elkmont campground is first come/first served before April 1 and it was pretty wide open there last year at that time...so if the weather starts to turn when you're up on the trail or it's looking bad before you start out, you can make Elkmont your base camp on short notice and take short day-hikes in many directions to some good streams. Trust me, the setting around Elkmont will give you the satisfaction of being 'out there' without having to tote a 40 lb pack up the mountain and risk a weather incident...plus if it's really bad it's about 15 minutes by car to Texas Roadhouse from the campground loop. Last year it was about 50 and sunny during the day and got down into the mid 20s at night...not awful, but cold enough you'll have to carry extra gear up the hill when you go. Good luck, PM me if you want any additional info. msh

ttas67
02-12-2007, 09:00 PM
mmorgan, I'll likely be camping up there with plateau angler maybe a couple nights, but no backcountry for me. I have a feeling its going to be pretty cold this year.

mmorgan135
02-12-2007, 10:53 PM
ttas67,

I would be really interested in camping with you guys. All of the friends that I have that would like to go have their spring break the week after mine.

About the weather, I hope that it gets that cold at night. I got a new sleeping bag for Christmas a couple years ago and its rated to like -30 and most of the time I sleep in just boxers unless it is bone chilling cold, and I mean in the low teens.

I am still working out plans with something for a trip because I am really wanting to do a backpack trip. I just have to find some guys to go with me or it might be a trip to Tellico to do some fishing/4 wheeling. I just have so many places to go that I cant make up my mind.

Another option that I thought about was fishing the tailwaters around here instead. I really want to get up the the Watagua and S. Holston. I hate thinking about the drive up there and back so I thought about just a short overnight trip up to one of those rivers and then giving me a solid two days to fish it without having to drive back and forth. Are there any places to camp close to any of those two rivers. I really just need two trees to sling up my Hennessy hammock