PDA

View Full Version : Early April on the Little River?

Condor
02-08-2007, 12:07 AM
A friend in Georgia suggested that I wet a line in the Little River between Townsend and Gatlinburg. I'll probably have one day to fish on a weekday during the 1st week in April. Do I need something heavier than a 3/4 wt? How about waders, hippers or chest highs? He suggested that the Little River Outfitters would have any fly patterns I neglected to bring along and probably point me to a promising section of the river ;)
Thank you for any suggestions or ideas!

ijsouth
02-08-2007, 01:24 AM
I've never fished the main stem of Little River; there are a lot of members of this board who do, and would be able to point you in the right direction. All I know is what I've read - the long stretch that runs along the road is heavily fished, and has some nice browns, along with the usual rainbows.

I fish the Tremont area, which is the Middle Prong of Little River, along with its tributaries Lynn Camp and Thunderhead. It has good road access (first part paved, second half gravel), ending in a parking area at the trailhead for the Lynn Camp trail. I'm pretty new to trout fishing, I'm fighting the learning curve, and the times I have had available to fish (Thanksgiving and New Year's) lately haven't been the best of conditions - I've managed to catch fish there, though. While there are always a lot of cars at the trailhead, most everyone is there for the hiking...there's plenty of room for people to fish, anyway.

I use a 3wt, and in the colder weather, hippers. I try to follow the suggestions I have read to keep wading to a minimum. In April, the action on dries should be fantastic...good luck.

DryFly1
02-08-2007, 07:36 AM
Welcome Condor,

If all you have is a 3/4 wt I would bring the 4wt. *If you have a 5wt, that's the one to bring as it will afford you the opportunity to throw bigger bugs.

1st week of April the weather could still be a little cool or absolutely beautiful. *I would at least wear hip waders. And pack the rain jacket!!

I would stop by LRO for the "scoop" on the fishing and any last minute things you need.

Metcalf bottoms would be a good spot,but likely crowded. *If it were me, I would fish Tremont as ijsouth suggested or Elmont area.

Make sure and read the Fishing Report,10 day weather and suggested flies on the on this site daily!

*Good luck... * *Mark

Troutman
02-08-2007, 10:22 AM
Early April is great on the LR. Spring hatches are going strong
and a 4wt will be fine for dry flies. The water will probably be in the 50's so the fish will be looking up. Lots of good water anywhere along the road and it shouldn't be crowded during the week. LRO will hook you up with the hot flies and daily reports.
If you are coming the First week of April, the local schools will be on Spring Break and the campgrounds will be more crowded. *I'll be at Elkmont ;D See ya on the river!

ttas67
02-08-2007, 04:07 PM
fish the 3/4wt. the little river, even at its biggest in the park is still small water, and wind is rare there. unless you want to throw big streamers or heavy nymphs, I see no need for anything bigger than 3/4 wt. I personally prefer a 3 wt in the mountains but I fish mostly dries. the nymph fishermen prefer something a little more. I think length may matter more than weight. really you can fish just about any line/length combo in the smokies and catch fish.

Gerry Romer
02-08-2007, 05:44 PM
I agree with ttas67 on rod weight... length, 7' up to 8'6" for dries and 8'6" and up for nymphing and high sticking.

Byron's got a little over a year's worth of his daily fishing reports stashed somewhere on his computer and has threatened to go back and visit them at some point. Well, I think now would be a good time.

Aside from being a good way to handle cabin fever, reviewing last year's fishing reports would do two things: 1) bring back fond memories for those of us who actually lived through the Spring of ought 6 on the water... and 2) serve as an educational guide to those coming in fresh this year.

Now, admittedly, my short term memory is not what it used to be, but I seem to recall that as the days got longer last year, the hatches came on later and later into the evening. The historical data on this (as recorded by our intrepid reporter, Byron) would serve as a sleep guide to new visitors. In other words, if you're coming in mid-April, look up the projected time for sunset for that period and plan on being on the water at least three or four hours before that -- but remember you can sleep in :).
However, if memory serves, in mid-July the reverse is true so you'll need to be on the water at sunrise to catch the hatches.

Waddya think, Byron? Any chance of dusting off the old Daily Fishing Reports and setting up a new column somewhere? Something from the Olden Days?? Something like a "On This Day in History". Of course you could just call it "Happy Days" ;)

Gerry

Condor
02-10-2007, 11:32 AM
Thanks Gentlemen for all the suggestions. Now I'll just hope that the weather and fishing Gods are smiling down on me when I try those suggestions out *;)
* *Tight lines!!