PDA

View Full Version : Family Hike / Fishing?

rlockwood
02-08-2007, 10:30 AM
Thanks again to everyone who chimed in on helping me and my family find a place to stay in Gatlinburg over Spring Break.

I get one day of fishing to myself, but I'm also going to sneak as much fishing in as possible. *To that end, we are planning on going to the park on a daily basis to hike around with the kids. *I would greatly appreciate your suggestions on family friendly hikes that will primarily follow a stream. *My thinking is to hike with the kids, but to take my travel rod and wet a line if we need to take a break. *(Of course, if my knees flare up,I might have to take frequent breaks *;) *) I have a 9 year old and 6 year old, both boys. *So, we're probably looking at 2 to 4 hours max of hike time. *My wife is a trail runner, so she will stay out all day if allowed.

My Smoky fishing has been primarily located around Elkmont and Tremont. *Any other suggestions for trails?

I was thinking about Ramsey Cascade, but I'm not sure how strenuous it would be.

Thanks for the help.

Robert

Troutman
02-08-2007, 10:59 AM
The lower part of Ramsey's cascade trail before it heads up the Mtn. is a great trail for the kids. Lots of eager Bows and Brookies along the way. Porter creek trail in Greenbriar is also an interesting walk/hike and several places to dabble for brookies along the trail. If you go over the Mtn. into NC, try Bradley Fork trail at the end of Smokemont campground.
I envy the fact you can get a six year old to do a 2-4hr hike.
My 10y old (youngest ) still complains after a half hr :(
Stop by Sugarlands visitor center, the staff will give you a map and probably more suggestions. *Have fun!

sammcdonald
02-08-2007, 11:21 AM
Ramsey as far as the jeep road goes is fine. after that it becomes more and more difficult. you might also try west prong trail...pretty and fishy.

sammcdonald
02-08-2007, 11:23 AM
also, stop by any visitor center...purchase a map for $1 (which goes to fund seasonal rangers)....the free park brochure has no driving or hiking info....but the park is free.

David Knapp
02-08-2007, 12:29 PM
If you head over to the NC side, you might also try Deep Creek...

rlockwood
02-08-2007, 12:57 PM
Troutman:

The 6 year old hasn't been consulted on the time frame. * I imagine there will be plenty of stops and lots of stone throwing into the water. *Obviously, if it looks like there are fishermen in the area, we will keep the conduct to a minimum and as far from them as possible. *I've had kids chunk rocks into pools that I've been fishing, and it ain't fun. *We took a trip to Big South Fork in October and he lasted a little over an hour of solid hiking. *But, I had to do a lot of carrying on the shoulders on the way out. *Hopefully, with plenty of stops and a lunch break thrown in, we will last a little longer.

Sam:

Thanks for the suggestion on the map. *How detailed are they, and can I order one online? *I've got H. Lea Lawrence's book on fishing the Smokys which has some rough trail maps. *You can't tell how good the trail is and there's certainly no description of the hike.

Plateau:

I've fished Deep Creek before, and that is exactly the kind of trail that would be perfect for my kids. *I also caught my largest wild brown there, and plan on catching a bigger one in the future. * ;D * But, it's probably a pretty good drive from Gatlinburg, isn't it?

Thanks for the replies.

Robert

russ
02-08-2007, 01:15 PM
Here's a link to download the park trail map. It can't tell you if the hike is strenuous or not but it will tell you about where it goes. Explore that site some and you will find a fishing map that shows all of the opened and closed streams in the same detail as the trail map.

http://www.nps.gov/grsm/planyourvisit/maps.htm

sammcdonald
02-08-2007, 01:44 PM
the d/l map is pretty useless because of lack of detail and size. it was designed to illustrate the massive amount of trails and general location. go to www.smokiesstore.org and you can get lotsa usable stuff and all profits go to the park.

Troutman
02-08-2007, 02:52 PM
There is a good book at the visitor center and I noticed it is on the smoky store site as well, called Scavenger Hike Adventures (item# 400675), that is great for the kids and parents. I have one and we have a good time on those hikes looking for items along the trail.
Thanks Sam for posting that site. I visit the store often but didn't know they had an online store. I work in Sevierville and try to get up there as much as I can.

budman
02-08-2007, 07:18 PM
Abrams creek would be a good family hike that follows the creek for a good portion of it. There is a pretty decent climb about 1/2 way in. There are plenty of past posts that will tell you about the fishing on Abrams- also that it can be dangerous in places. Good Luck!

rlockwood
02-09-2007, 10:14 AM
Thanks for all the replies.

Troutman: The Scavenger Hunt book looks perfect for us. We're ordering it.

Robert