PDA

View Full Version : Float options

beeber
02-09-2007, 12:14 PM
Hi,

I will be heading to the park area the end of April for a week of fishing, staying at Black Bear Hollow Cabins in Maryville, TN. A few of us will be bringing our 1-man pontoon boats for floating. I was wondering if anyone could recommend a few floats for trout fishing? I wouldn't mind fishing for smallmouth either. Any public put-ins or take-outs would help too. Thanks!

Troutman
02-09-2007, 12:56 PM
I float the Little River through Townsend and from the Foothills Parkway bridge down to the small dam and access point between Walland and Townsend in my Aire Infl. kayak.
The yak is 39" wide and 12.5' long and handles the river well.
I have also floated from the dam all the way to the Hwy 411 *bridge. Trout and Smallie water on the upper section and primarily warmwater species in the lower sections.
The Clinch and Holston are the closest Tailwaters and Chilhowee Lake is an option also if you have a trolling motor.

EDIT: *I forgot to mention the Hiwassee river south of Maryville. If Hiwassee outfitters is open, they will take you upstream with your boats to the boat access and you can float back to your car. Last time I did it it only cost me $10 for the shuttle.

beeber
02-09-2007, 06:06 PM
Troutman,

Thanks, that's the kind of information I was looking for. The pontoon is a little wider but I can go just about anywhere a yak can go, except for upstream that is. I've heard much about the Hiwassee and plan an outing on that river for sure. Anyone float the lower Abrams?

tn hound
02-09-2007, 07:44 PM
Troutman,

Thanks, that's the kind of information I was looking for. *The pontoon is a little wider but I can go just about anywhere a yak can go, except for upstream that is. *I've heard much about the Hiwassee and plan an outing on that river for sure. *Anyone float the lower Abrams?

you really need a whitewater boat to float the bottom part from Abrams Creek campground to Chilhowee lake. It's 7 mile by road, maybe twice that by river. The water flow/level will be the most important factor.
best bet is to put in at Chilhowee lake and paddle up 1.5 miles to the rocks,which is the point to which you can paddle no more. Mosly warm water species on that end - redeye, smallmouth
If you do this, the river will split, go left for abrams creek, right for panther creek

sammcdonald
02-10-2007, 02:49 PM
if you choose to go up panther creek use caution. the trail is not maintained and in many places is almost lost. injury there could be a large problem.