PDA

View Full Version : Abrams Creek

MHarris
02-10-2007, 06:10 PM
Were having a family get together in Gatlinburg in 2 weeks. Everyone is planning to hit the outlet malls but personally Im heading up in the park for some fishing. How long is the drive from Gatlinburg to the lower section of Abrams Creek around the campground. Thats my first choice to fish but I dont want to spend to much time driving.

Thanks Mike

sammcdonald
02-10-2007, 06:26 PM
it's about an hour and 10 minutes-15 minutes.

Woody
02-11-2007, 06:28 PM
Glad to see you have your priorities in order. Here's a couple of spots that can't miss, closer to the "Burg" that you may want to check out. The Roaring Fork is excellent and its just minutes from downtown. Another great location is prior to the Surgarland Vistor. After you cross the bridge coming from the "Burg" make a right hand turn prior to the visitors center. Follow the road around the bend to a parking lot in front of the mantenance facilty. Fish all the way back to the bridge. The fishing is great and much closer than a trip to Cades Cove

MHarris
02-12-2007, 08:52 PM
Thanks for the info. Is the fishing in Roaring Fork good where it runs beside the loop or should I park at the far end of the loop and walk in aways.

Thanks again
Mike Harris

Stonefly
02-12-2007, 11:04 PM
This has been years ago, but I fished it once starting right in Gatlinburg, wading up behind cabins, chalets etc. Caught a nice fish in a run that had a deck overhanging it, with a party going on. Got a nice round of applause...

sb

Waterborn
02-12-2007, 11:30 PM
The waters around the G-burg run fairly cold year round - even more so in winter compared to other watersheds...unless you are fishing the dh stuff, you may be out for a nice walk with a rod (which of course there is nothing wrong with) - but a quick drive past the Sugarland to the lower stretches of the Little River below Elkmon to Metcalf bottoms is a great winter spots - chase the sunshine...

MTN_TRT
02-13-2007, 09:25 AM
Is the water that you are referring to actually in the park or is it considered "'burg" water?

MTN_TRT
LIFE IS GOOD

sammcdonald
02-13-2007, 05:29 PM
the roaring fork loop will not be open to vehicle traffic until 4/1/07. that may aid your decision in how and where to fish it. the access to roaring fork via cherokee orchard road is all but closed due to heavy repairs by the city of gatlinburg to the water lines. they are allowing only persons with legitimate business at twin creeks to enter the park via cherokee orchard and then delays of 30 minutes are common.

moflyer3
02-13-2007, 05:36 PM
Woody,

The water you mention thats by the maintenance building.. What is that called? Think that would be good water around the first of april as well?

sammcdonald
02-13-2007, 05:40 PM
fighting creek runs into the little pigeon down there