PDA

View Full Version : Lies!!!

MTN_TRT
02-13-2007, 10:18 PM
Ok, Im not one to lie at all. But you guys have to admit that as soon as you picked up a flyrod you were corrupted for life! Whats the biggest lie you ever told about fishing? It could be lieing about how many you caught or how big that brown really was;) . My biggest one would have to be like when someone askes "You caught any?" and Ill reply "Yeah, caught several actually." When really Ive only had a few hits...a few fish hit my indicator!

ttas67
02-14-2007, 12:23 AM
the only thing I used to lie about was why I was out from work for the day. the job I have now I don't have to give an excuse. everyone jokes about fishermen being liars, and maybe some occasionally stretch the size of their fish, but I have found that fly fishermen tend to be honest people and good citizens. Over the past few years, I'm sure alot of factors have played into my character and who I am today, but I can tell you that spending so much time, mostly alone, in the mountains or in a stream has definitely made me into a different person. A man has to have some type of adventure. If he doesn't he dies inside. He also has to learn to stand alone. somehow fly fishing has done this for me. In a corrupt world, fly fishing is something honest that I can do. I'm in my 20's. I look around at people who are my age that I work with or maybe some of my friends and I think, "what do these people do?" in their free time I mean. I ask myself, "If I didn't fly fish, what would I do?" I know what most of them my age do, because I used to be those people. So when everyone else drags into work on monday, half dead, they all talk about what a crazy time they had, and who did what. I assume they all think that I sit around and do nothing, because I don't ever really have a story to tell. what they don't know is that over the weekend I went on a little adventure. I chalked up miles of walking through the woods, climbed over boulders, saw bears and snakes and dipped my head in a cool mountain stream. maybe we exaggerate a little, but my question to anyone reading this is has fly fishing changed you as a person, and how?

ijsouth
02-14-2007, 12:52 AM
Nope..not me...never lied - pure as the wind-driven snow, and we all know south Louisiana is noted for snow ;)

Green Weenie
02-14-2007, 09:20 AM
How about the long distance release?

I'm not ashamed to say I count 'em.

MTN_TRT
02-14-2007, 09:40 AM
Smiling_dog-
Thats great. Quite hilarious! :)

ijsouth-
yeah, I hear south Louisiana can get pounded w/ those famous winter blizzards ;)

GreenWeenie-
I count em too!

ttas67-
Great question man. Ok, Im 16 and this is 2007. I started flyfishin 3years ago this spring. Im growing up in a time where people my age are at the mall, sitting at home in front of the computer (I dont mean to be hyppocritical), or partying. 95% of the kids at my school hate this town and they say they will never come back (although thats not true). I say Ill deffinately be back. Theres a great trout stream here and the AT comes right through. I cant say how I actually got into flyfishing, but Im glad I did. More and more I find that Im chasing adventure- hiking farther, fishing water that doesnt get fished. Being outdoors has just changed me entirely. Im happier, more optimistic. Ive met alot better people doing this than I ever would have. Yes, for the better part they are great people. Fun loving guys w/ enough stories to tell to last ya the rest of your life. I wouldnt trade this for the world. Alot of times I dont tell anyone what happened last saturday when I chased wild brookies up to where the water comes out of the ground. All they know is I drove a long way, and caught a few fish. But I really hiked way back, slid down ridges, climbed over rocks, got hurt, got some beautiful trout and almost cried when I had to leave. Its funny that my mind has slowed down to fish but my heart keeps racing- chasing that adrenalin from adventure. Funny thing though, Im alot more honest holding my 4wt than I would have ever been w/o it.

ruggerfly
02-14-2007, 10:01 AM
Is is necessarily lying when you conviently leave out the fact that you did not bring half of the fish that you hooked to your net that day??

Jack M.
02-14-2007, 10:08 AM
The only lie I tell is when I get skunked and say "It's nice to just get out anyway."

Waterborn
02-14-2007, 10:24 AM
Not so much lie about the fish I caught or didn't - more of not really telling people "exactly" where I caught them...guess I have to bend the truth a little to keep my secret spots a secret...
Then the other is that when ever I'm hiking a smoky mtn trail like abrams or up to ramsey cascade etc, you always get the " how much further?" question in either direction from touristing hikers and my usuall relply, no matter where on the trail I am is " ohh, 'bout 'nuther quarter mile..."

David Knapp
02-14-2007, 04:02 PM
Waterborn, that sounds just like my kind of lying as well... I love coming back up the Abrams creek trail and I'm almost to the parking lot and someone will ask, "How much further to the falls?" Of course, I always tell 'em that it is just a little bit further...:rolleyes: Another time I was fishing a very accesible small stream in the park. Someone stopped by and asked how the fishing was there, mentioning how the loved to eat trout... I let it be known that the fish were extremely small in that particular little creek...

I used to stretch the truth about the size of my fish, not on purpose of course.:cool: Then I started using a tape to measure the fish sometimes. Oddly, my average catch size went down...

Waterborn
02-14-2007, 04:36 PM
P.A. - ain't it always the way? Especially the eaters...now don't get me wrong - I like a good fried trout every now and again, but I usually go for the stockies somewhere at a put 'n take...but my favorite in the mountains that I get frequently is "Hey, whatchya catchn'...?"
Now, I'm a pretty nice guy, civil to strangers and so on, but just can't resist a straight faced "Well, I just released a two foot blacktip shark...almost took my finger of when I took the hook out" holding up my thumb. To the honest truth, and thier shock - nine times out of ten to my reply would be " I thought this was fresh water?"...
I guess its one of those "Here's your sign" kind of moments...and I just can't resist...

Sage
02-15-2007, 01:26 PM
Wives are smart, really smart. When mine asks "How much did you spend?", knowing I stopped in LRO on my way to the stream, I always say, "Not much."

I'm not an advocate of hiding things from spouses, but having that extra little stash of $ keeps me out of a lot of trouble when I turn in my receipts.

Gerry Romer
02-15-2007, 11:20 PM
Wives are smart, really smart. When mine asks "How much did you spend?", knowing I stopped in LRO on my way to the stream, I always say, "Not much."

I'm not an advocate of hiding things from spouses, but having that extra little stash of $ keeps me out of a lot of trouble when I turn in my receipts.

You actually turn yours in?!

Gerry

Sage
02-16-2007, 03:26 PM
Gerry,
Yep, she's a stickler for detail. You know the old saying about picking your battles, well, I'm not going to pick that one.

fishlicker
02-18-2007, 09:39 PM
A good friend and I were fishing a well known stream( for hiking and sightseeing) for brookies a couple of years ago. A man and his wife(daughter?) came down the stream carrying some overly heavy gear - the generic wal-mart rod and Zebco 22 reels.....

They passed by and said that they'd caught a few small "rainbow trout", and asked if we'd caught anything....
Now, let me preface this by saying I can't remember if we actually told them this, or just wished we'd told them this at some point later in the day - but I think we told them we'd only caught a few..." flanker fish"....
At any rate - whatever we told them, I do remember them walking off with a really confused look on their faces.....If you've never seen a 2 inch diameter "bobber" being cast into pristine brookie water, you ain't lived. :)

Remember, they're " flanker fish". :) flanker fish, I tells ya.

geerona
02-19-2007, 08:20 AM
fishlicker,

I had to chuckle when I read your story about the 2" bobbers. Last spring we had pulled into the paved parking area near what I believe is the "Sinks". While getting in our waders we counted three, yes I said three, bobbers hanging in the trees about eye level. They must be 20' or more above the water. Kind of makes you wonder doesn't it....Maybe a Kodak moment I missed!

Wishin' I was fishin', gary <*))))><

Grumpy
02-19-2007, 09:49 AM
The only time i extend the truth is when i'm wearing them out, you know, you're getting a bite about every cast & somone is creeping closer & closer to your area.
Once they're in earshot range, i'll turn & say these "bluegills or suckers won't leave my fly alone, where's the trout?"

Grumpy

fishlicker
02-19-2007, 12:35 PM
Gary,
when you see something like that it makes you wonder if they were fishing crappie flies under them, or something more sinister like a lowly, slithering, nasty earthworm!
I once saw some folks fishing worms in the bend pool just below Elkmont. I started to tell them they were breaking the law, but they fished for five minutes and got back in the car, kids screaming and parents fighting. I was glad I didn't bother them since they looked like they were little threat to the fishery - at least that day. They had the bobbers too - big ones, orange and yellow....

Big plastic bobbers on wild trout water are funny.....

big plastic bobbers on wild trout water that never gets more than 1 1/2 ft deep runs right past funny when you think about it and right into just plain nuts.
Of course, sitting here behind this screen.....makes me wish I was at Metcalf right now...I'd even take a cane pole, a weighted nymph and a big plastic bobber!

Grumpy, I heard tell you only catch bluegills and suckers anyway! :) LOL

Waterborn, if you don't mind I'm gonna steal that little jab. I think I'll use blue crab though. :) Yep, that's just the touch more crazy I need....
and I think I'll say it with a little cross-eye'd look too...

*crossin' eyes to practice...
" Well, I just caught a blue crab and the dern thing near 'bout took off my pinky fanger.."

That's some mighty creative lyin', I gotta tell ya and I just can't help but steal your idea. Tell me where to send the royalty money!

MTN_TRT
02-19-2007, 07:34 PM
Grumpy:
If ya dont mind I do think Ill use that some this spring. Thats awsome!

sammcdonald
02-28-2007, 04:16 PM
yesterday i caught the world's smallest rainbow...as i was bringing to the bank, the momma fish stuck her head out of the water and yelled "toss him back that's my boy". i was gonna take a picture but even macro didn't pick him up...would have had to use a dime to show relative size.

fishlicker
02-28-2007, 07:52 PM
sam, a dime layin' flat on it's side, or turned up where you just see the edge?

:)

You know, some Orvis shops have a contest every month for a photo of the smallest trout caught. I could win it for 23 years in a row, if I'd just remember to take picture of the small ones - and you'd think I could since mostly what I catch are poor lil baby trout. :p

sammcdonald
03-01-2007, 11:51 AM
he was holding onto that fly with both fins, riding it like a jet ski.

Jswitow
03-01-2007, 12:53 PM
Those tape measures are awful things. I only pull mine out when I am truly impressed at the size of what I have landed! Otherwise I end up swearing that fish looked longer!

sammcdonald
03-01-2007, 01:41 PM
sam, a dime layin' flat on it's side, or turned up where you just see the edge?

:)

i was gonna lay him gently on the face of the dime, sorta like you'd put a real trout inna fryin' pan, so his true minnow-ship could be viewed.

fishlicker
03-01-2007, 05:17 PM
I haven't laughed so hard all week. :) thanks.