PDA

View Full Version : Deep Creek

Mark the Hammer
02-15-2007, 02:19 PM
I was thinking about a trip for the summer...

Is there a reason that I would not want to hike along the Deep Creek Trail starting at the Newfoundland Gap Road and ending up at the Deep Creek Campground? This would be a multiple day trip camping in the back country and of course having someone spot my car. I was just thinking that hiking down the trail would be much easier than hiking up the trail! ;)

Mark
Flint, MI

DryFly1
02-15-2007, 02:34 PM
Hey Mark- Mark here
Sounds very doable! I love backcountry camping and have this one on my list for 07'. Looks like about 8 BC camps with 2 requiring reservations(#55 &57). You also get the best of all three worlds! Brookies at the begining and browns and rainbows all the way north of BC# 53. Sweeet!!! This is one of those trips that leaves me scratching my head about where to start fishing because of the endless possibilities? Wish I were going tomorrow!! Let us know how it goes.
Enjoy...Mark

* I think I will approach this one South to North,simply because I like FF upstream and don't mind the elevation hike...

Hugh Hartsell
02-15-2007, 02:40 PM
Mark, this is a great backcountry trip and some excellent fishing. You've got several options to go down on and you need to check with the Park Service to see if these trails need any maintenence and on upcoming weather. When you're starting at such a high altitude, any conditions that might be conducive to causing hypothermia need to be thought out in the form of precautions. High water conditions are another possibility. I was caught deep in this backcountry once when a flashflood cameup and getting across the creek became a major issue. This shouldn't be a problem unless you get seperated from your gear. Good luck and have great trip.
Hugh Hartsell---East Tn.

David Knapp
02-15-2007, 02:57 PM
Mark, welcome to the board! I hiked down a few miles from the Newfound Gap Rd. for a day hike and it was not bad. The trail is very well maintained in the section from the road to the creek. It really is not that far from the road to the creek, only a couple of miles or so and the trail is is such that there aren't any really steep sections. The campsites were nice as well with plenty of good flat areas for setting up a tent. I think it sounds like a good trip idea!!!

Mark the Hammer
02-15-2007, 03:24 PM
Thanks for the replies!

I have a few books as well as the GSM trail guide (this would not be my first back-country trip in the park). Reading though them, I could not find a reason why it would present any problems, but I wanted to check.

I have been coming down to fish in the park for the last three years, sometimes more than once a year, and I was looking for something a little different. I thought that it looked like it might be an interesting trip.

Any questions on fishing in Michigan, let me know. ;)

Hawgdaddy
02-15-2007, 03:34 PM
Mark,
I took that trail with a couple guys one time who weren't in the best of shape. We backpacked down and fished for five days before hiking back out (back uphill to Newfound Gap). They have never forgiven me for what I put them through on that trip. Lol. I got paid back though because my knee was injured on the hike down. It's never been the same. Ever since that trip, I have trouble backpacking downhill for any distance. The trail is steep for the first couple miles, but is easy hiking after that other than being muddy and slippery in spots. Just keep in mind that it's pretty tough near the top. Descend under control to avoid creating a bum knee like me. Take care and have fun,

hawgdaddy

Mark the Hammer
02-15-2007, 03:47 PM
"We backpacked down and fished for five days before hiking back out (back uphill to Newfound Gap)."

This is the situation that I was trying to avoid by starting at Deep Creek Campgound and ending at Newfoundland Gap. I was wanting to go downhill... LOL

mtnman2888
02-15-2007, 07:24 PM
Deep creek, as well as noland, is very high up on my list of streams to fish in the smokies. I have several books on the smokies (they may be the same ones you have) and after glancing at them it appears that you have a good trip planned out for yourself. Nothing too bad, but you should definitely get away from the crowds. I would love to do stuff like this more often, but i wish i had someone to go with me. Anyways, let us know how you do. Good luck and be safe!

Craig

ijsouth
02-16-2007, 12:27 AM
I would like to give it a try too...especially in the summer. I checked out the start of the trail back over Thanksgiving - it looked a bit steep up there at the beginning; I was heading downslope, and I was also fighting the clock, so I didn't go very far.