PDA

View Full Version : Best BackCountry Trips?

UTKFlyFisher
02-15-2007, 03:36 PM
I have only been backpacking for a year now, and just recieved my own gear a few months ago. Where would ya'll recommend for some of the best backcountry fishing?

mtnman2888
02-15-2007, 07:25 PM
Are you going to be heading out there alone or with other folks? This makes a difference as to what i, personally, would recommend.

UTKFlyFisher
02-15-2007, 07:47 PM
Ill be out there with other people.

sammcdonald
02-16-2007, 11:05 AM
eagle creek and hazel creek.....they connect by either lakeshore trail down low or jenkins ridge further up.

hw3
02-16-2007, 08:56 PM
Cannot agree more with Eagle or Hazel. Both, however, are accessible from
the Fontana boat dock/ramp by "party barge" trip across Fontana to either
trailhead. Cost, last I checked, was $50.00 round trip; pay only on the way in. Don't know winter schedule, or if prices have changed, but they will drop you off and return when you ask them to be there. I usually go with a few other campers, need B/C permits for all days you are there, and it helps if your party can register from different home cities, as I think max stay is three days, and with multiple people from different places registration can be stretched out. Or you can just move sites. We usually push game carts up Hazel, is an old R/R bed for a trail to Sugar Fork, and trip to Bone Valley is doable with a cart. Not a better place in the GSMNP. Watson

TAZ
02-16-2007, 09:28 PM
Check out the backcountry issue of Flyfish America magazine from last year. It has the "Top 10 Backcountry Trips in the Smokies".