PDA

View Full Version : Hogs???

Kevin_Thomas
02-16-2007, 01:05 AM
Apparently there's been a lot of wild hog activity on the NC side recently. What's the protocol if you run into one or more of these things?

Thanks...
Kevin

rainshaker
02-16-2007, 02:52 AM
Apparently there's been a lot of wild hog activity on the NC side recently. What's the protocol if you run into one or more of these things?

I've run into a few hawg hunters in the past, but like yourself have never actually spotted a boar in the wild. I too might need to know how to react. Don't they usually live right on the water?

mtnman2888
02-16-2007, 07:00 AM
I have never run into one, just like y'all, but have heard that these are some mean suckers! I do know that they pose a problem to about every other species because all they do is tear up the soil looking for food. Like i said, i've never run into one, but have heard from some older gentleman that have and they said that hogs were very ornary. Don't really know what the protocol is, though. Late last year, i was fishing up above elkmont when a ranger with a backpack and some very heavy weaponry stopped us and he said he had been looking for hogs all day. The gun he had wasn't playing around, it was serious! Aparently, the park service doesn't care for hogs either.

Craig

DryFly1
02-16-2007, 08:40 AM
Ain't Skerd!! Don't know of any official protocol for wild hogs. What I can tell you from experience is the ones I have seen were too busy hauling tail to worry about. I figure if I am confronted I will stand my ground,avoid those nasty teeth and have some baby backs smoked on a BC campfire! If you see some baby piglets out there I wouldn't pick one up and play with it. Have you ever seen how an old sow reacts when her baby starts squeeling? Ouch...

sammcdonald
02-16-2007, 10:59 AM
my experience is that hogs will avoid people. as for being by water, the largest herd of hogs i ever saw was on turkeypen ridge and not near any streams.

ttas67
02-16-2007, 11:38 AM
I saw a hog and baby once. they ignored me. from what I've been told, your best bet is to climb a tree, boulder or something so it can't get to you. I've been told that their skull is so thick that you can't harm them by throwing a rock. hopefully I won't ever have to deal with one.

DryFly1
02-16-2007, 11:52 AM
A little inside info:

I grew up raising hogs and cattle. You are right ttas67 that they have hard heads. But,even though they root around all day,they have "very tender snouts!" Go here first and whack um real good,this will usually turn them. Been there,done that many,many times on the farm... It works!

* Getting out of their way is always the first option though.. Tree,etc...

Byron Begley
02-16-2007, 12:36 PM
Paula and I live at the base of Rich Mountain. In the winter the wild hogs come down to the lower elevations. We've had some rooting around in front of our house for the last few days. Our dogs are scared when they go out. We have bears around the house quite often but this is the first time we've had wild boar that we know of.

Paula and I ran into a big one when we were backpacking into campsite 18. He stood in the trail and didn't move. I walked in front of her and made myself look as big as possible. When I got within 50 feet of him he walked off into the woods. We could hear him in the woods following us for a while but we never saw him again.

Byron

ijsouth
02-16-2007, 12:46 PM
They are mean suckers. I know that they have been quite a nuisance up in the Smokies - their rooting can cause a lot of damage.

Down here, before Katrina, they were quite a problem, too. They were tearing up the levees out in New Orleans East. I imagine the storm drowned a lot of them, but they'll come back. My dad told me, years ago, hog farmers would turn their pigs loose in the bottomlands in the winter, to let them forage. A lot of them couldn't be found in the spring, so they would turn wild, and breed with the wild hogs already there.

Other than man, the only predators they have here are gators - and they don't have to eat a hog a day all the time.

Stonefly
02-16-2007, 02:05 PM
Tyrone, you da' man!

I saw a dozen or so crossing the road up on North River once, but they didn't seem to see me.

I understand they have very poor eyesight, so maybe just standing still would be a good approach, unless they're close already. At that point I think I'd be climbing a tree. The big ones are plenty fierce!

sb

doghaircaddis
02-16-2007, 02:13 PM
I saw one last fall while I was fishing the Tellico. It was running for it's life, though, and really didn't pay much attention to me.

buzzmcmanus
02-16-2007, 02:21 PM
We've tied some killer smallmouth jigs with wild hog hair. They seem to outfish regular jigs 2 to 1. I'm not sure what it is, but I suspect its the oil still in the hair, since it hasn't been dyed, colored, or preserved in any way (fresh out of the freezer). Puts a new meaning to the words jig and pig.

The best thing is to treat them like bears. Let them know you're there. Don't get between a sow and her babies. And definately don't catch any of their babies. I have a friend that did that once, he has the scars and hospital bills to prove it.

A sow can have up to 2 litters a year with 2-8 piglets in each litter. Their population in the surrounding area is rapidly growing, and they are very destructive.

Byron, If you need someone to get rid of your pig problem, just let me know. The guys putting together the LRO get together certainly wouldn't need Buddies to cater it.

Buzz

rainshaker
02-20-2007, 12:22 PM
Sounds like an out-right celebration :-)

donwinn
02-23-2007, 12:56 PM
I grew up on a farm. We had hogs. I hated them. I still do. Even domestic hogs go crazy when they think their young are in danger or when they smell blood. We had a couple of sows get a calf, that had a small cut (blood), down once, and I thought they were going to kill her before I beat them off. Their noses are very tender, but don't under estimate their speed or quickness. Domestic hogs do like to get in water because it is their way of cooling off as they do not sweat. I'm sure wild hogs do the same. I'm also sure wild hogs try to avoid human contact. I would try to avoid them as well unless I was looking for some ham or bacon.

russ
02-23-2007, 04:47 PM
I was grouse hunting this year in Tellico and had one come running down the hill at me and the dog. i was mesmerized and just stood there watching it running down the hill. That thing was fast too!!! The dog finally barked when the hog was about 30 feet away and then i started hollaring at it and it turned and ran off past us. It was so close that we could here it breathing and snorting and could see it's tusks. I had a lot of orange on but i don't think it ever saw us until we started moving and yelling. i bet they are color blind and probably do have poor eyesite.

By the way, that was the meanest, hairiest, ugliest beast i've ever seen.

Woody
02-25-2007, 06:22 PM
Russ, You haven't meet my ex-wife. She would give that hog a run for its money

mtnman2888
02-25-2007, 06:35 PM
Haha that's great! Somewhat mean, but definitely funny!

Craig