PDA

View Full Version : Downsizing and 7 fly patterns

MTN_TRT
02-20-2007, 02:25 PM
At the beginning of last fall I down sized a bit. I left my vest at home and carried only what would fit into my two pocket fishing shirt. Flybox, hemostats, nippers, tippet, bug flotant.

This week it looks as if it will mark the beginning of Spring. Now, however, Ive got a fishpond chestpack. Still the same priciple though-carry only what I know Ill need. Tippet, nippers, hemostats, bug dope (if the water temp is up) and about 7 fly patterns in different sizes. Thats where the problem is--my 7 fly patterns...what will I need and what wont I need? Itll change as the season progresses, but this week end it will be:
1) Hares ear- classic early spring pattern
2) Adams- classic pattern
3) BWO- I watchin and waitin
4) Black Wooly Bugger - check "5 Things You Never Fish w/o"
5) Small Blk stonefly nymphs- first hatch of the year
6) midge pupae- becoming a favorite for me
7) small blue quill midge- not really a midge but small

I cant carry anymore than will fit into a really small flybox. I carry a few different sizes in each (except the wooly bugger--size8 or 10)

This list will change before the weekend probably. So anyone downsizing this season? And please list your "7 Fly Patterns for this early season"

ruggerfly
02-20-2007, 02:57 PM
I can never bring myself to carry only seven different flys, but here are my choices:

1)olive wooly bugger
2)BH Pheasant tail
3)Parachute adams
4)BWO
5)Elk Hair Caddis
6)Stonefly
7)Terrestrial pattern (probably an ant)

Troutman
02-20-2007, 04:16 PM
I like to trim down my selection of flies for Springtime Smoky Mtn. fishing also. Here is my top seven choices for a shirt pocket flybox.

1. Para Adams #14-12
2. Thunderhead #14
3. Para BWO #16-14
4. Classic Quill Gordon #12
5. Yellow Stimies #18- 12
6. BH Prince # 16-12 or George nymphs
7. BHFB grey hairs ear # 16-12

As the spring season hatches progress and change, I usually switch out the Quill Gordons for Light Hendricksons and then to Light Cahills.
The Hairs ears are replaced with a larger Stonefly pattern such as #6-8 rubberleg Tellicos and #8 George nymphs.

Chuckwalla
02-20-2007, 08:07 PM
I still carry more that seven flies. With that being said, I think all I need are three:

Para Adams 16-18
BHPT 14-20
Black ant 16-18 (fished wet or dry)

TroutDude
02-20-2007, 08:23 PM
1. Parachute Adams 14 - 18
2. Yellow Stimulator 12 - 14
3. Mr. Rapidan 14 - 16
4. Beadhead Flashback P.T. 14 - 20
5. Beetle 16 - 18
6. Red Midge Pupa 18 - 22
7. Parachute BWO 16 - 20

...and I thought I had a hard time getting my list down to 10

Dude

mtnman2888
02-20-2007, 09:36 PM
Like most others, i don't think i could carry only 7 to the stream, but here's my best shot:

1. Smoky Mtn. Blackbird Soft Hackle
2. Biot Bodied Cahill
3. X2 Caddis
4. CDC Soft Hackle Emerger
5. Tellico Nymph
6. Black Stonefly
7. Parachute BWO

Those are for this time of year, during the summer months they would change up and there would definitely be some terrestrials thrown in there!

Craig

Almost forgot, i had to edit my post so i wouldn't forget my stimulators. I always carry a wide variety in many different sizes and colors.

ttas67
02-21-2007, 12:37 AM
I don't know if you own one, but the C&F fly boxes are light, small (will fit in your shirt pocket, and will hold a ton of flies. assuming I would lose no flies ( yeah right) I could fish the whole year, smokies, and tailwaters with what's in there right now.

as for downsizing, I started out downsized, and over the past couple years have moved to full vest and a bunch of crap I don't need. I have been thinking about downsizing again. I've tried a lanyard, which I don't care for too much, chestpack... might as well just wear a vest, fanny pack around the waist... not comfortable for me. the best thing I have found, and the way I originally started was with what I can only describe as like a purse. a small bag that I can sling across my shoulder, flipped around to my back, like the way people would have worn a traditional creel. why does no one make this? actually orvis makes one that's ok, but I'd like something a little different. In my opinion, companies are making products with too many features. everything's like a pack that's a chest pack, with a waist belt that you can tuck out of the way, or snap it to backback, and on that you can attach a cooler with a built in fishometer and a customized sandwich pouch or something. Some people probably find all this very useful. I'm a gear head and like innovative new products and materials, but I wish someone would make something simple with quality materials. Is there some product that I am overlooking?

ccmmcc
02-21-2007, 09:18 AM
Trevor,

I have a "purse" that I use on a regular basis. It sounds exactly like what you are looking for and I bought it a number of years ago from LRO. It's made by Hardy and it is called the "Brook bag". They make others that are similar but this one works best for me. Here is the website http://www.hardyusa.com/products/bags.php

Laugh if you will, but I also take it to sporting events such as baseball games, hockey games, etc., to carry tickets, wallet, etc.

Chris

ttas67
02-21-2007, 07:00 PM
that's what I'm talking about! just a bag like that. simple, effective.

fishlicker
02-21-2007, 10:02 PM
ooooh, did i do this one already? Can't remember...don't think so. anyhoot....here are my 7...( is that what we're doing? Dang it - I'm always behind!)

1. Elk Hair Caddis, tan #16
2. Prince nymph( flashy) #16
3. Stimulator( or similar) #14, #16
4. Hare's Ear #16, #18
5. Parachute Adams #16
6. B.W.O #22
7. Yellow Sally #16, #18

Wow. 16's and 18's rule the roost in my box I guess. Hmmm. neato. i guess. :) haha.

Can I have two or three #12 Stimulators stuck in my hat? :)

Woody
02-25-2007, 05:20 PM
Mtnman2888

Never saw or heard of a Smoky Mtn Blackbird Soft Hackle. Is that a pattern that you tied. What does it resemble?

geerona
02-25-2007, 05:40 PM
There was a time I had 7 fly boxes with me. Went from a vest to a chest pack which helped that problem. It's pretty hard to beat those patterns I have seen mentioned as long as there are Para-Adams, BWO's and Stimulators in there. Oh, and EHC in a few colors and sizes.

There's water on the hard water in Indiana so spring must be right around the corner here, yeah right. I hope you all got to venture out in TN this weekend.

Regards, gary <*))))><

Jack M.
02-25-2007, 06:22 PM
Mtnman2888

Never saw or heard of a Smoky Mtn Blackbird Soft Hackle. Is that a pattern that you tied. What does it resemble?

There's a pic here: http://www.smokymountainflyguide.com/images/dryflies/Smoky%20Mountain%20Blackbird%20Softhackle.jpg

mtnman2888
02-25-2007, 06:37 PM
It's a fly that hugh hartsell ties and it is deadly, especially during the summer and fall months. I have never caught so many fish on one fly before. I'm sure others here that have used it can atest to the fact that it is simply a fish catching machine. It's basically the only fly i use as my dropper for about 7 months out of the year.

Craig

92Esquire
02-26-2007, 06:28 AM
I too am trying to downsize for the smokies. I have a Fishpond vest that's slowly becoming full, but was given a Filson waist pack for Christmas this year. It's been fun paring the equipment down to the "have to haves" in order to fit it all in the smaller space. I'm trying to limit myself to one fly box (a C&F Nymph box), but I don't think I'll be able to stick to that. Since I started tying flies, I seem to accumulate them.