PDA

View Full Version : Hook Sharpeners

doghaircaddis
02-20-2007, 10:48 PM
How many of you use one of these?

I bought one this weekend and tried to sharpen some of my smaller nymphs. Seems impossible to do. Is there a secret to this?

...Heck, I doubt I really needed this thing. I lose flies way too often.

DryFly1
02-20-2007, 10:53 PM
Got one on my Knot Tying Tool that I have used a few times. If I never had it I wouldn't miss it!

I do pay more attention to my nymph hooks. They take a beating...

Mark....

Troutman
02-20-2007, 11:54 PM
I have one on my lanyard along with my nippers, nailknotter, tippet and fly floatant. I use it all the time.
I learned long ago after having lots of long distance releases to check the points on every fly that I tie on against my thumb nailbed. If it does not instantly catch and stop, I give it a couple of swipes on the sharpener until it will. Even if a fly is brand new it may need checking before use. I always recheck it after releasing fish or any kind of hangup.
It only takes a few seconds but it will increase hookups. Make sure you hold the hook so the penetrating barb is contacting the hone at the correct angle, much like you do when sharpening a knife.
The one I use is very inexpensive and easy to use. It is the model CP100 made by Donnmar. (about $6.) I believe it is still available online and at boaters world.
It may be available at Smoky Mtn. Knife Works in Sevierville.
Google "Donnmar CP100 hook sharpener" for a pict. as a reference.