PDA

View Full Version : Beginner Lessons

Randall
02-21-2007, 04:32 AM
LRO,

I got my wife the beginner fly fishing lessons this past Christmas, which she's yet to schedule, and I have a few questions about the method you use for teaching casting. Do you use the clock face method or more of the Lefty K. method which focuses more on the principles of the physics of casting? Oh, and she is a south paw. Are your casting instructors ambidextrous? She has never tried to cast a fly rod to my knowledge. Should she get out in the yard and flail around some or wait for the lesson? My offer for a free lesson was snubbed faster than a bad drift. Thanks!

Paula Begley
02-21-2007, 08:31 AM
LRO,

I got my wife the beginner fly fishing lessons this past Christmas, which she's yet to schedule, and I have a few questions about the method you use for teaching casting. Do you use the clock face method or more of the Lefty K. method which focuses more on the principles of the physics of casting? Oh, and she is a south paw. Are your casting instructors ambidextrous? She has never tried to cast a fly rod to my knowledge. Should she get out in the yard and flail around some or wait for the lesson? My offer for a free lesson was snubbed faster than a bad drift. Thanks!

Randall

We use a combination of teaching methods that has evolved from strictly Joan Wulff's method, to an introduction of other ideas as well. In most classes, we even have time to get into some specialty casts for tight brush. We talk a lot about the mechanics of the fly cast, so the physics of the cast are explained. All of our instructors can teach with their right as well as left hands. I specifically taught myself left handed casting to be able to show a student a cast *in their own hand*.

I feel it is WAY better to come to class without having cast before. It is very easy to pick up or teach yourself bad habits without a basis of instruction.

We will look forward to having her in class!

Paula