PDA

View Full Version : More Surviving Fun!

Giantfish
02-21-2007, 10:48 PM
Ok you know me and survival, well I got another puzzle for ya! Ok you went on a wekend backpack trip, 10 miles in. You get there, set up tent, and then decide to fish. you go to your rod and reel cases, open them,and......OH NO! You forgot to get them! Well you are 10 miles from the truck and along way from home where you left your fly fishing suplies. All you have is your vest, and a net.

Now here is the fun but puzzling part. How do you fish for food, I want to hear all the ways you think you can catch a fish. I don't care how crazy it gets just as long as you can get two fish out of the water and on land. Remember all you have is a net and your vest, and of coarse Nature, all the land around you. So get to thinking and I will tell you my way at the end!

Thanks
Giantfish

fishlicker
02-21-2007, 11:45 PM
Hi Giantfish!

Well, if I have my vest, then I have a spool of 6x tippet. And if I'm in the woods where there are trees, I'd have small trees or at least branches. I'd find myself a limber branc h about 6 ft long, tie on some 6x tippet and a caddis and play catch-n-release until I got ready to stop fishing - at which point, were I lucky or good enough, I'd flop two trout on the bank; hook 'em on a forked stick just like Opie would and head for camp!

If I didn't have the 6x tippet or the flies I guess I'd try to dam up a section of the creek and wait til the water drained out of it? Or throw rocks at the fish maybe?:eek: I dunno. :)

Btw - I wasn't 10 miles in, but I was stranded in Shining Rock Wilderness area last year overnight with just my vest and rod and no water or food. Not fun. Won't happen again....at least not without water.
You have this happen to ya or are we just supposin' here? I hope I get a passin' grade! :)

Rog 1
02-22-2007, 09:00 AM
If you are in the park don't let a ranger catch you cutting down one of those limber limbs.....but 10 miles back into the woods not much of a chance of that. I have tried to hand grab trout that have unhooked themselves from under rocks before and it isn't easy....have also sloshed thru many a feeder creek without scaring up a fish....if I was really hungry would probably play like a bear and eat the berries....if I had a pot and fire would also think about scaring up a mess of crayfish...La. mug bugs....tiny lobsters....a lot easier to catch than a trout.....

fishlicker
02-22-2007, 09:10 AM
are we in the park Giantfish?

either way, me starving or cutting a limb, I'm gonna cut that limb. The environment will recover, but no food for me and I won't! :) speaking of which, mountain laurel will burn when wet. But it's toxic i think so don't inhale. ;)

Hawgdaddy
02-22-2007, 09:43 AM
I've heard you could crumble up walnut bark, toss it in a stream, and the chemical in the bark would temporarily stun the fish which would then float to the top for awhile. I guess if I was without food and a walnut tree was handy, I'd give that a try. I've always wanted to try it to see if it'd work anyway. Failing that I imagine I could fish fairly effectively with stuff from my vest like fishlicker. Take care,

hawgdaddy

Hawgdaddy
02-22-2007, 09:48 AM
Pretty cool site along these lines: http://www.primitiveways.com/fish_poison.html

Seems you can use the green walnut husk as well.

Take care,
hawgdaddy

Giantfish
02-22-2007, 11:33 AM
Well some of you have good ideas that will work, except the rock throwing! What I would do is take a limb and make some line out of tree bark. hook I would carve one out of a thick peice of wood. After I got one fish I would eat it and use the bone to make another hook. There you go, You all pass!

fishlicker
02-22-2007, 02:16 PM
Nice topic, and I'm glad we passed! Don't know how much of what we were typin' about would actually work in real life! :) LOL

Along those lines, what would you do if you'd hiked all day in an 80 degree sweat-fest, and you were 3 miles from the Blue Ridge Parkway with no water or food and it was 2am?

The asnwer is not " Hike out to the parkway, nearly killing yourself, and try to hitchhike back to your car at 2am."

Trust me, you do not want to see the folks that are on the parkway at 2am! :) LOL YEESH! Scary!

DryFly1
02-22-2007, 03:02 PM
All I can tell you is what I would do. Most trails in the park parallel a stream or close enough to get hydrated. I would simply camel-up at the nearest water source,bed down for night and hike out in the a.m. By the way, If you are hiking in the GSMNP you should never get dehydrated! Entirely too much water available! If your dehydrated drink, they make medication for GI problems! Best advice: Plan your hike and hike your plan.. Works every time...

Mark..

DryFly1
02-22-2007, 03:25 PM
Giantfish,

To answer your question:

You have a tent,so you use a tent pole for your rod,a guy-line for the fishing line and as you stated, make a hook out of wood or from a piece of your equipment(lots to choose from). Of course, don't forget about the net? Just my thoughts on how I would approach it... By the way, If I had my backpack and humped it in 10 miles with no food or my fishing gear, I would be kicking dirt and cussing like a sailor!!

Mark...

fishlicker
02-22-2007, 06:26 PM
I'd drink straight from the creek if I were about 3 hours more desperate than we were, but not otherwise....it's not that there wasn't water to drink - it was that I'd had a go-round with bad water before and it'll make you think twice about trusting some new fangled purifier thingy that uses UV light. . . or at least, it did me. I once saw a group of yankees drinking from a little creek in the park. We'd seen a bear not far from there and boars had been digging around not 30 yards from the stream. I started to tell them not to do that, but Dad's shirt was already wet down the front and the kids too. I probably should have told them anyway, but I figured if they had a run in with ole crypto or Mr. G they'd know soon enough....

but I still regret not saying something.

anyway.....i was just tryin' to give ya'll some humor at my expense. :)

Dave
02-22-2007, 07:11 PM
The guy with the idea to throw rocks was not far off. The following is the honest truth, has worked on smallmouth and redeyes imagine it would work on trout.

When I was a young teenager, my best friend's dad would take us camping along a freestone creek near Chattanooga that had smallmouth etc. in it. He taught us that when you spook a pool the fish are usually hanging tight hiding under rocks with overhangs / crevices etc all hunkered down. If you swim down in the pool (I was young remember) with a large rock (about the size of a softball) you could bang it on likely looking rocks really hard and the concussion would stun any fish that were hiding out underneath the overhang / in the crevice etc. and they'd float up and you could grab them. Sometimes it would be a smallmouth, a redeye, a sculpin or some of the minnows (horny heads). Honest to goodness truth it works.

Giantfish
02-22-2007, 09:59 PM
That is cool, but standing on the ground and do it, you need extreme aim. As for the water, I know a way to check and see if the water is safe, if desperate, look at the stream, if it is clear (very clear) and flowing very well, also if you can see the bottom well, it is good. If your just wanting water pour it through a sock (a clean one! or stinky water!) You could also hope it rains and collect rain water.

Giantfish

fishlicker
02-24-2007, 12:00 AM
Giantfish, do some more research on safe drinking water.

Look up giardia and cryptosporidium...

Trust me, you can't tell by looking at a creek( clear or muddy) if it's infested with little parasites( nasty!), and other micro-organisms that can really make you sick. And when I say sick, i mean really, really, really sick.

Kingstonian
02-24-2007, 09:59 AM
If I couldn't find a cane break, I would find a large persimmon tree. From that I would cut a rod. I would take mussel shells and drill holes in the center, then using the fiber from a cedar tree, I would attach them to the rod as guides. A little pine sap would serve to secure the thread.

I would weave a fly line from stripped honeysuckle vines, and make a leader from spinning the same cedar fibers that I used on the rod guides. A simple reel could be made from any properly sized stick, but well tumbled peagravel and be used as effective ball beariings if that is so desired.

Once I was fed, I would weave a rope from grapevines and lasso a large deer, or better still, an elk, and ride him back to the car. If this didn't work, there is a way you can make a functional motorcycle using only fir boughs and creek muck, but that is for another day.

Either that or I would bundle up up for the night, skip supper, hike out in the morning and go to Shoneys for the breakfast buffet.