PDA

View Full Version : Holston Flies?

patillac
02-22-2007, 05:14 PM
Ok, so we planned on heading to the Holston last week, but it never happened. I'm new to this, and Hugh Hartsell gave me some exellent advice and fly suggestions to try. We are DEFINATELY going Saturday, and I'm wondering if I need to try a different approach because of the 30 degree temperature difference. I was going to go with a BH pheasant tail, and either a strike indicator or an elk hair caddis floater last week. Waddaya'll think?
Also, If you happen to be on the Holston saturday, and see a guy in a nasty red sox hat, go say hello.

Hugh Hartsell
02-22-2007, 05:41 PM
Patillac, you will need some Tan Elk Hair Caddis and be sure to have some Net Builder Caddis Larva with you to use as a dropper. 60 degerers should start some good Caddis hatches. The Net Builder Larva will be active down deeper before you see any adults hatching off. Be sure to get below shoals.
Hugh Hartsell---East Tn.
It's possible to see some really heavy hatches of Diptera midges as it warms up. Good luck.

Waterborn
02-22-2007, 06:05 PM
Anything as long as its a caddis :rolleyes:!

patillac
02-22-2007, 08:26 PM
Well, thank you once again. Caddis it is.

stretch
02-23-2007, 02:17 AM
Caddis, what caddis :confused: ... Seriously, Hugh's advice is spot on.

Waterborn
02-23-2007, 02:07 PM
Lots of craneflies out as well when the weather warms out as well, so some sparse hackled, pale tan/yellow bodied flies will compliment the caddis hatches...