PDA

View Full Version : Can you help a florida boy?

floridaboy
02-26-2007, 06:35 PM
My wife and I are planning to visit the Smokey Mountains the third week of March. I have a couple of stupid questions about trout fishing. Is it absolutely necessary to use a fly rod? I definitely appreciate the skill required to use one but do not really want to purchase one for this vacation. Money $$$$$. If not absolutely necessary, what effective lures/flies/poppers would I be able to present using a light spin-cast setup? Assuming decent "warming" weather, will the fish have begun biting? Some help with these basic questions would be appreciated, even though fish or no fish, I'll be content just to get out and enjoy the park............Naaaaawwwww. I'd like to catch fish too.http://littleriveroutfitters.com/forum/images/icons/icon7.gif
If anyone is ever heading to tampa, fl. email me flamefighter000@yahoo.com if you care to fish for bass, snook, or redfish, or just need info. thank you.

Byron Begley
02-26-2007, 06:48 PM
Florida Boy (future fly fisherman),

Welcome to the website and board. I might take you up on the redfish help at some point. You can fish in the Smokies with artifical only small spinners or grubs. They must only have one hook to be legal, no treble hooks and no live, dead or scented bait. No corn. I would probably use 4 pound test or lighter as these streams are very clear. The fishing should be good unless we have high water. Hope this helps and have a great trip.

Byron

Jack M.
02-26-2007, 06:52 PM
A fly rod isn't required, but it sure is a lot more fun in my opinion. Here are the park regs copied from LRO's page:

Lures, Bait and Equipment
1. Fishing is permitted only by the use of one hand-held rod.
2. ONLY artificial flies or lures with a single hook may be used. Dropper flies may be used. Up to two flies on a leader.
3. Use or possession of any form of fish bait or liquid scent other than artificial flies or lures on or along any park stream while in possession of fishing tackle is prohibited.
Prohibited baits include, but are not limited to, minnows (live or otherwise preserved), worms, corn, cheese, bread, salmon eggs, pork rinds, Power Bait, liquid scents and natural baits found along streams.
4. Use or possession of double, treble, or gang hooks is prohibited.
5. Fishing tackle and equipment, including creels and fish in possession, are subject to inspection by authorized personnel.

You might want to look into an item called a "casting bubble." This is basically a small weighted bobber that will let you tie a light-weight fly onto the spinning gear and still have the weight to get out a cast. Otherwise, you can purchase or modify your spinners so they have a single hook. Finally, I see no reason why one couldn't cast a nymph on spinning gear by using split shot to carry the line out. Fish the nymph or streamer just as you would a piece of live bait, such as a worm or maggot.

Good luck.

tennswede
02-26-2007, 07:31 PM
I ran in to an old timer on West Prong of Little Pigeon a couple of years ago. He was using a jig type lure like you would use for Crappie or perch. He threw it upstream and retrieved it with twisting and jerking motions. He had pretty good success with it. It all depends on how high that water is. Good Luck. Remember single hook artificials only.

fishlicker
02-26-2007, 08:06 PM
The fish will be keyed in on bugs, no doubt....but, you can also have some luck tossing little plastic( unscented!) worms, too. They're made by the Creme company( or they were when I used them years ago) and they look just like little red wigglers. They come already rigged up with two hooks, so you must cut the mono joining them, and then only use a single hook. Most of the time this hook, when inserted into the worm a little towards one end or the other, will hook the trout solidly in the mouth, usually the corner or ( ok, purists, sit down and take a deep breath) just outside it. Outside it isn't really ideal, but it's better than down it's throat. Now, I used this rig when I was a teenager and I'm ( oh this hurts ;) ) 37 now, so I'm not sure if they even make it or not, but believe me - a wild trout knows what a worm looks like and they will slam it sometimes two or three times before they get it. Just make sure it's still scent-free and only use one hook. Of course, we're all trusting that someone looking for info on a flyfishing shops' site, and also being nice enough to offer to help us out on his home water would play by the rules. :)
Even if you don't want to get into flyfishing though, you should stop by the store and see Daniel or Paula or that other guy...:) LOL and pick up some small split shot and a few spinners. Roostertail type things, most shops carry the Mepps line for trout. Just cast them upstream and reel them back just faster than the current ( so the blade spins)...or, you can cast them over and across and slightly downstream and let them hang..then reel a bit,...hang...reel a bit... sometimes you'll get some nice fish that way too.

Good luck!

Gerry Romer
02-27-2007, 12:08 AM
Can't remember who makes them but you might look around at Wally World for a little beadhead item called Trout Magnet. It's basically an assortment of weighted beadhead hooks (single) with an assortment of split-tailed gel worms in bright colors. I've talked to folks who swear by them. I wouldn't recommend them on a fly rig... too easy to shatter the tip of your rod.

Gerry

Paula Begley
02-27-2007, 08:12 AM
We actually carry single hook rooster tails and trout magnets for people who wish to legally fish the park with spinning tackle.

There are a lot of people who use spinning tackle successfully for the Park's wild trout. Good luck to you floridaboy, we will be happy to help you in any way we can.

Paula

Rog 1
02-27-2007, 10:42 AM
Ditto the trout magnet plastic grubs....best way to fish them is to put a split shot about 12 inches up your line and cast it up and across the current and let it swing down and across.....using the same technique you can also use nymphs or wet flies on light spinning tackle with success.

floridaboy
02-27-2007, 11:16 PM
Gentlemen, I sincerely thank you for the information that has been shared. I look forward to my visit to the park in the next 2-3 weeks. Hopefully, I'll be able find some fish for my wife and I to catch. If any of you are ever planning to come to florida to fish and don't want to pay for a guide, log onto the website capmel.com. this is the absolute best website, with forum for florida fishing reports and information. you can private message me there, my username there is shallowhal. Anyhow, thanks again for the help and as always, good luck!

Vern
02-27-2007, 11:34 PM
White or black rooster tail work well. I have also tied on a wooly bugger on 4# test workong it like a gig bait. The Delayed harvest in Gatlinburg is a great place to start with spinners, but remember to buy a gatlinburg license. Trout magnets "LRO carries them" are great. i don't spin fish anymore but my son and daughter do and have get luck in Gatlinburg. If you have young children "under 12" the children streams are great fun. My daughter is 9 and she catches 6-8 nice rainbows everytime we go on rooster tails or trout magnets. I usualy give the rooster tail to any child that is on the stream when we leave.

fishlicker
02-28-2007, 01:23 PM
Florida boy, don't forget to come back and let us know how you do! And stop by the shop - they are always a wealth of info on how the fish are acting and where to find them!