PDA

View Full Version : New legal Tubing Hours

Thunderhead8
02-27-2007, 07:23 AM
New park hours for tubing: 11:55 AM until 12:05 PM. Violations of this 10 minute window punishable by tube puncture and confiscation of any footwear.

buckeyetrouter
02-27-2007, 07:56 AM
I second that motion......all in favor signify by "YEA"........all opposed, ehhh that vote won't count...... ;-)

buckeye

Green Weenie
02-27-2007, 08:40 AM
I was all excited when I read the subject line of your post.

I laughed at the idea of someone's tube being punctured and sandals being confiscated.

And then the disappointment set in...

ijsouth
02-27-2007, 09:21 AM
At least the water isn't deep enough for jet skis...

cubefisher
02-27-2007, 11:12 AM
Ya know...I wonder if this has ever actually been considered. It's really not such a bad idea. Sometimes you gotta get creative when managing multi-constituency resources. 'course that may also mean windows for fishing too.

rainshaker
02-27-2007, 12:13 PM
although it wouldn't be a permanent solution to the tubing epidemic, my idea is to sell a very expensive "Tuber's daily usage license" issued by the state. As anglers, we have to buy an annual license to be able to use the state's fisheries, so it only makes sense that tubers also be taxed on their recreation time.

Don't get me wrong, I selfishly prefer the 10 minute tubing window law, but by issuance of an annual license the tubers also earn the burden of being policed. I'm thinking some sort of temporary check point at the Y that would cause a large traffic jam and hopefully discourage all tubing activities on the Little River.

Think about it.... with enough legislative support of the idea, we can start a grassroots campaign to make recreational tubes the new cigarettes (i.e. tax them out of existance)The first step is to make a case for how unsafe the standard recreational tube is for children, followed by statistcal information on tubing-related accidents.

;)

UTKFlyFisher
02-27-2007, 07:12 PM
Or we can just throw rocks at them

DryFly1
02-27-2007, 10:48 PM
Hey Thunderhead8,

I nominate you as the spokesman for "Global Tubing" and it's impact on the environment and fisheries. Who knows, maybe you'll win an Oscar too? :)

Mark...

Rog 1
02-28-2007, 10:26 AM
Forget about legislation....this is a federal issue.....not enough money for the Park and its rangers as it is.....would think the rental companies would actually have to come into the park to be affected....kinda like the ferry across Fontana....operating in the park equals insurance coverage which means higher rates....always amazes me how small a stream these people will try to tube in....

Barbara
02-28-2007, 10:30 AM
Tubing could be considered child abuse. Think of the possible hazards; drowning, cut by rocks, blows to the head, etc. Then no one could allow a child, under age 18, to tube or to be in the company of a tuber. As a certified dangerous activity, it could be regulated (licensed) for those over 18 but only after the prolonged environmental impact study which could take years.

rainshaker
02-28-2007, 10:52 AM
You're on the right track Barbara....I'd also throw-in the fact that every summer there is a certain number of swimmers, rock-hoppers, and lawn-chair-sitters that have to be rescued due mostly to ankle sprains and foot injuries. It's our duty to see to it that the word "Tuber" is attached to all future incidents.

Not to mention, that rescuing these people is a financial burden and therefore should be taxed via a government issued daily usage permit.

;)

Gerry Romer
02-28-2007, 11:00 AM
I think they ought to make 'em wear seat belts...

Gerry

rainshaker
02-28-2007, 11:38 AM
I think they ought to make 'em wear seat belts...

Gerry

....Also, no eating or drinking while attempting to "tube;" for their own safety of course.

;)

fishlicker
02-28-2007, 01:13 PM
Somewhere on a message board about tubing and rafting, someone is suggesting the same things about flyfishermen. I know it's a light-hearted thread, but a daily usage fee for tubing a public river? How about that same fee to fish it? ;)
I hate 'em too on Deep Creek....but it just means the fishing is that much more special in teh fall and winter. Probably gives the browns a little less pressure and a chance to be nice and fat for fall...

Winter's on the way out, ya'll....
Here in Gainesville, GA today it's 70 though and the trees and flowers are blooming all over town. Won't be long.....hang in there tuber haters - it's ALMOST SPRING!!!! :) LOL

rainshaker
02-28-2007, 03:23 PM
Don't hate...we are all human ;)

Somewhere on a message board about tubing and rafting, someone is suggesting the same things about flyfishermen.

I'm not sure the high order of the Tuber has organized their minions to construct an internet message board, have they? . If you're talking about their trade journal: Modern Tubes and Tubers Then, I might buy into that notion. ;)

Whats better than the common tuber is the lawn-chair sitter. Those who occupy and entire section of a River for days at a time; you've seen 'em....usually have their igloo cooler on a piece of rope, floating down stream while using their chair leg as an anchor.

adorable ;)

sammcdonald
02-28-2007, 04:08 PM
last year i invented the "tuber fly" to fool the fish. it is a copper john carefully mounted in a cheerio and is fished like a dry fly and can be used where the fish are no longer afraid of the common tuber.

rainshaker
02-28-2007, 05:23 PM
last year i invented the "tuber fly" to fool the fish. it is a copper john carefully mounted in a cheerio and is fished like a dry fly and can be used where the fish are no longer afraid of the common tuber.

Sam,

It seems like I may have read that. There was another posting (in the same thread) that discussed ,in detail, the "The Tuber hatch of Townsend" that was so incredibly funny it brought tears to my eyes. LOL, indeed.

I'm slowly realizing there is a fine line between political correctness and challenging one's way of life, but regardless, someone (with a lot of spare time) should document this year's hatch with a photo essay. I don't know if this board is the most appropriate place for it, but that would be a riot. IMO

I noticed you're in Wears Valley; have you been on the water lately?

I may be up in the area this weekend, and even though I might not see any fish, I will still have to get a line on the water.

sammcdonald
02-28-2007, 05:40 PM
i was on the water yesterday (see the thread "Lies") and again today. i caught a skunk today and yesterday's catch is on the other thread.

ruggerfly
02-28-2007, 06:19 PM
Would a cheerio be considered bait?

sammcdonald
02-28-2007, 06:36 PM
only for me in the mornings

sammcdonald
02-28-2007, 06:44 PM
paint the cheerio yellow and enhance the floating ability...certainly not bait

fishlicker
02-28-2007, 07:50 PM
high order of the Tuber:D

I love it! :)

rainshaker
02-28-2007, 09:50 PM
Thanks..

It took me several hours to think that one up. BTW, I'm gonna start using that line about the Flanker fish. That too is a good one...

Giantfish
02-28-2007, 10:15 PM
Iv'e never run into tuber by fishing, but they have been in some of the good spots! You drive forever to find a tube free spot! We have the morning and afternoon to fish now. When they come go eat some trout for lunch and come back.

Giantfish

Thunderhead8
02-28-2007, 11:19 PM
Officially, a cheerio is not bait unless there is ham sticking down out of the bottom of it.

fishlicker
02-28-2007, 11:44 PM
Yes, please use it( Flanker fish) and feel free to make up whatever description ya like about it - it's wide open! :)

What about Honey-nut cheerios? Do you just throw them at the lady tubers? Are they just for tubes that have been taken over by squirrels? And frosted Cheerios...oh wait, no that's for snow skiing - nevermind. :)

geerona
03-01-2007, 08:03 AM
I'm wondering if there are any benefits to substituting a "Life Saver" (the candy) for the cheerio? Multiple colors to "match the hatch" and if a Tuber falls off in the vicinity it could double as a life saving device.

I've never checked a "Life Saver" for its floating properties though so it might not work. But then again on the other hand I'm not sure.....maybe I'd better not finish that sentence. This is just for fun.....isn't it?

I'm stealing the Flanker Fish line also, hope you don't mind fishlicker! Perhaps when we meet fellow fishermen on the streams this year we should start out by asking if they have caught any Flanker Fish. We'd know right away if they were a board member.

Wishin' I wuz fishin', g <*))))><

rainshaker
03-01-2007, 10:13 AM
Perhaps when we meet fellow fishermen on the streams this year we should start out by asking if they have caught any Flanker Fish. We'd know right away if they were a board member.

That's really not a bad idea. At least that way one could be distinguished from a fly fisher versus someone who had just half a......well hopefully you'll be carrying a fly rod, so that alone should indicate that you're "one of us." Anyway, yeah so we can make this like our own little secret society. We could privately refer to ourselves as "The high order of the Flanker Fish."

Fishlicker you're in charge of coming-up with the secret handshake.

http://www.saltrivertubing.com/floats/tubrenters.jpg

;)

Paula Begley
03-01-2007, 10:21 AM
Would a cheerio be considered bait?

Aren't cheerios scented and salted? Oops! :D Guess lifesavers would be illegal too! ;)

Paula

geerona
03-01-2007, 01:12 PM
Paula,

So I guess that means glazed donuts and claiming to be carp fishing is totally out of the question? Sadly we can get away with that here in Indiana.

I am still on board for the "The High Order Of The Flanker Fish". Any thoughts on that secret handshake fishlicker?

Ever feel like you are homesick for a place you never have even lived?

Wishin' I wuz fishin', gary <*))))><

sammcdonald
03-01-2007, 01:37 PM
painted cheerios are sealed and retain the natural buoyancy of a tube. the little copper john or BHPT will look like a head and the wings appear to be the legs...irresistable to wild trout innured to tuber hatches.

fishlicker
03-01-2007, 03:47 PM
I'm stealing the Flanker Fish line also, hope you don't mind fishlicker! Perhaps when we meet fellow fishermen on the streams this year we should start out by asking if they have caught any Flanker Fish. We'd know right away if they were a board member.

No, I don't mind at all. Perhaps there could be some sort of virtual award to the person that meets the most members using the Flanker fish line? We could have some bumper stickers made up with a "Flankerfish" slowly rising to intercept and sip down a Cheerio! A contest to draw a flankerfish, that others may know one when they catch it? :)

A secret handshake huh? Maybe a simple handshake with a flanker-fish-finger-wiggle of the pinky fingers? :) hahaha

...oh, and homesick for somewhere you've never lived...let me start a new thread on that topic...I gotta sumthin' to a say on a that....:)

but enough about flankers...they taste horrible I'm told - back to the cereal. Speaking of cereal....(am I speeeeling that right? errr...correctly...oh well...)

"I like ceeereeeal..." - Cheese, Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends

Green Weenie
03-02-2007, 04:25 PM
http://img76.imageshack.us/img76/1181/antituberwh3.th.jpg (http://img76.imageshack.us/my.php?image=antituberwh3.jpg)

This is a publice service announcement:

"Tubing is dangerous."

That is all.

buckeyetrouter
03-02-2007, 05:40 PM
:eek: ROFLMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

that is one fine piece of editorial informational schisckbosklic monophramblic contribluatoinal reporting there green weenie.....you are a fine american. I too :rolleyes: am worried about the health and hatch of this years tubbers........

buckeyetrouter