PDA

View Full Version : Okie on the loose!!!

Midgeman
02-27-2007, 10:50 AM
My in-laws have been kind enough to arrange for a huge family vacation for our family. This June we will all be headin' down to Pigeon Forge for a week. I have been flyfishing for several years now and tye my own flies for this area (South Eastern Oklahoma and Western Arkansas). I am really looking forward to throwing a few flies when we get there. Any suggestions on flies? I would like to get a head start on tying. Your suggestions are appreciated.

russ
02-27-2007, 10:57 AM
Pheasant tail nymphs, tellico nymphs, prince nymphs, hares ear nymphs all in sizes 10, 12 & 14.

Dry flies;
Adams, thunderhead, yellow salleys, yellow humpy, grey caddis, tan caddis, yellow caddis, yellow stimulators all in sizes 12 & 14.

Gerry Romer
02-27-2007, 11:09 AM
Take a look through the fly selection in the online catalogue at this website. Byron and Daniel have done a fantastic job of presenting their wares with just enough of a slant on the East Tennessee factor.

Gerry

Rog 1
02-27-2007, 12:18 PM
Take a look in this category a couple of posts below your..."Down sizing and 7 Patterns"....this is a pretty good reference to what a lot of people consider their go to patterns....there is some overlapping but you will be able to work out a consensus....one thing to will always hear...."can't go wrong with yellow"

Midgeman
02-27-2007, 01:32 PM
Thanks all. Looks like I will have more than a few flies to work on over the next couple of months!!!! In these parts I use zebra midges alot and they work great. Also use some copper johns and prince nymphs. So this trip will be an excellent excuse to broaden my tying horizons. Thanks again.

Troutman
02-27-2007, 01:48 PM
Welcome to the board Midgeman. Do you live near to where Dave Whitlock has moved to? His site says they have fantastic Smallie fishing in that area.
You won't need a large variety of patterns for the Smokies during June. Para Adams and yellow Stimies for dries and BH princes and tellicos will catch fish on every stream in the area and LRO will hook you up with anything you need including a guide if you want.
June in Pigeon Forge is chaotic. The roads are snarled with traffic jams and all the schools have just let out for the summer. I hope you can get over to Townsend and up into the park several times while here.
Enjoy your stay. Troutman

Sage
02-27-2007, 02:04 PM
I second troutman, yellow stimulators for dries. You may want to keep them around #16 or smaller. They work great a couple hours before sunset until dark, heck, they work pretty well all day. Plus they're easier to see closer to dark and you don't have to change flies that often. Keeping them dry is the hard part. If you can tie them, a #30 BWO seems to be what they want, but dang if they're not hard to fish. Good luck!

Midgeman
02-27-2007, 05:08 PM
Troutman, Whitlock is in Tahlequah, OK, which is just about an hour southeast of where I live. In fact, he is regularly spotted at the local Bass Pro shop. If you catch him there, it has been rumored, he will sign any of his books they sell. The smallies are on the upper Illinois River. I fish the lower part for rainbows and brown trout. The lower illinois is also known for its large stripers that feed on the little rainbows.