PDA

View Full Version : The Caney-A good wade spoiled.

DryFly1
02-28-2007, 10:07 PM
2-28-07(Wed)

With the promise of good weather and favorable generation, I cleared my desk, arranged for coverage and made plans to spend the day on the Caney.

I debated between the 5wt or 3wt and finally settled on the 3wt. Made it to the stream around 0630 with no one in site. Got rigged up and waded into 52 degree fog covered water, no wind and cool morning temps. Started with a #20 Zebra midge but found no takers. Switched to a green BH Wooly and again no action. Decided on a #16 Cooper John and this proved to be the ticket! Caught 4 or 5 in about 35 minutes and at that point forgot about how cold my fingers were. Found a deep pool with fallen trees and a nice tailout and put the copper john on a dead drift. In the classic, end of dead drift fashion, got a hard hit and had a big trout on the line. In an effort to put myself into a better position and keep the trout out of the trees; I stumbled,threw out my right arm to brace myself against the tree, and heard a “Snap.” I look up to see my new 3wt broken at the mid section? So, I’m standing there in “shock and awe” with a busted rod and a large trout on the line? After what seemed like an hour I regained my wits and tried to salvage an already hideous situation. I began pulling the line by hand and the line goes limp!

In total, I broke my rod, lost the fish and my fly, but managed to remain dry! So now, its 40 bucks for the return + S&H+ insurance. But hey, I did go fishing!! I'll be back!!

* I did take my camera but I was waiting for bigger fish? Nuf said,,,

Mark..

Grumpy
03-01-2007, 09:23 AM
That sure beat sitting in the doctor's office(sad smiley). I hope it wasn't a Scott, i've been waiting for over a month to get one back(angry smiley)

The river is fishing & producing some good fish.

Grumpy

Paula Begley
03-01-2007, 10:25 AM
Grumpy....have you still not figured out smilies?! Sad smilie = : ( Just don't type a space in-between. :(

Happy Smilie = : ) :)
Laughing = : D :D
Mad = : mad: :mad:

:D :D :D

Paula

DryFly1
03-01-2007, 11:20 AM
Hey Grumpy,

It was a Sage TXL. It's going in the mail today. Going to e-mail them in a few minutes for the expected time of return. Have always heard that they have great customer service. They have always returned my e-mails very promptly and I expect them to do the same with returned rods. If not, I will start a national campaign to destory their reputation: :D

By the way, I have a Scott rod also. I have sent them e-mails in the past and have never received a response? I hope I don't break this one! Good luck on yours...

Mark....

ttas67
03-01-2007, 01:20 PM
a txl? ouch. I sent a scott back once. took forever and it came back w/ a heavily soiled cork.

RFowler
03-01-2007, 02:07 PM
Don't you guys think a 3wt is a little too light for a tailwater? I won't go below a 4wt. I like to play the fish as fast as I possibly can.

DryFly1
03-01-2007, 02:43 PM
Don't you guys think a 3wt is a little too light for a tailwater? I won't go below a 4wt. I like to play the fish as fast as I possibly can.

Hey RF,

Always alot of debate about this. I will tell you my experience. Believe it or not my 3wt can throw some pretty large flies and at times seems to do so with more ease than my 5wt? Caught some pretty nice fish yesterday and landed them just as quickly as with my 5wt and it felt awesome on the lighter rod. I really don't subscribe to the 4/5wt or bigger on tail water theory. If I ever catch a hog and don't think I can play him quickly I will simply break the line. I have read reports and talked with friends that have taken very large trout on the White River on 3wts! I would like to see someone collect data on death rates by 3wt. I bet the results would shatter the theory. :)

Mark...

RFowler
03-01-2007, 06:29 PM
I'm not saying it can't be done. I just don't recommend it, myself. It's a relative thing. I seriously doubt you could haul a 16+ inch trout out of the South Holston, on high water, without exhausting the fish with a 3wt. Tailwaters grow large numbers of big fish. I personally don't think of a 3wt as a big fish rod.

I bet 3wt's kill a heck of a lot more tailwater fish than 4 or 5's

Flat Fly n
03-01-2007, 06:58 PM
RF,
How's it going? Got any dates for a trip up here yet?

I fish a Loomis GLX 9ft 3wt. I used to have the IMX's, but last time I broke one they replaced it with that.. tough, but cheap is good, free is better.

Anyway. I used to fish 5wt on tailwaters and went through periods of breaking off 6x on strikes. I went to Ark. on an invited trip and the guides out of PJ's were all using these Orvis 2-3wt 9ft. rods. I personally saw a guide, not a customer land a 12# brown on a 2 wt quickly and was sold. My best brown (with photo) is a #10 from the North Fork on my 3wt. It did take me about 15min,but that was with about 4 good runs. I personally think you can put more pressure on those fish without fear of breaking light tippets than with bigger wts. They are somewhat of a pain to cast in big wind, but I love the fact I can land fish, I think, quicker than the folks around me and release them without problems. Now maybe it's because I am 6'6" and combined with a 9ft rod and arm the angle and pressure is greater, but I don't think I would ever go back to heavier wts. unless I was throwing big wooly buggers or sculpin imiatations.

Get yourself up here sometime and I will let you use this rod, but you have to give it back!

Flat Fly''n

RFowler
03-01-2007, 07:15 PM
Fair enough, Flat. We'll have to test that 3wt, if you kill a fish I'll have to push you overboard. JK :D A GLX 3wt is more like a 4wt. I use a 10ft 4wt IM6 almost exclusively on the tailwaters. Very slow rod with a butt that could haul in a shark. The tippet thing has less to do with the weight and more to do with the flex. Bamboo is a great tool for protecting light tippets. I had a 6wt Leonard that would double over with a 16" trout. It protected 6X very well. But you could really lean on the fish, too.

Not sure when I'll be up there. Although, a friend called me today to set tentative plans for mid-April. I want to bass fish, though. You want to float for some bass? I recommend something a little heavier than a 3wt. ;)

fishlicker
03-02-2007, 12:06 AM
All I own now are 3 wts. in 6'5 ft and 8'7 or something like that. Far as I know I've never killed any of the two big fish I've caught with them. ;) LOL

I thought rod weights were for the size of the fly, not playing the fish...I can't see pushing a 6x tippet any harder because you're tossing a 7wt rod, but maybe I'm just not getting it...

I used to use a 6 wt for bass, and it was so boring I just stopped bass fishing with it and went to a ..........you guessed it.........a 3 wt.

broomsticks are fer sharpenin' the ends and roastin' yur weenie while yur campin'. ;)

DryFly1
03-02-2007, 12:50 AM
All I own now are 3 wts. in 6'5 ft and 8'7 or something like that.
broomsticks are fer sharpenin' the ends and roastin' yur weenie while yur campin'. ;)

Keep swinging them 3 wts. At the end of the day you'll be a happier man and less arm,back,etc.. fatigue! Nothing ventured-nothing gained!

BTW, You got a great sense of humor! Maybe we should change your board name to "Fishlicker the cable guy" or " BR549" :)

Mark....

Grumpy
03-02-2007, 08:58 AM
Fighting fish with light tippets has more to do with the flex of the rod than the weight of it IMO.
I'll put more pressure with a bamboo, fiberglass or mid-flex graphite than i will a fast action graphite.
The slower action rods will absorb more of the shock when a fish decides to make an evasive maneuver, a tip flex /fast action will not, ya really have to be on your toes while fishing one.

Grumpy

MTN_TRT
03-02-2007, 09:45 AM
I used to use a 6 wt for bass, and it was so boring I just stopped bass fishing with it and went to a ..........you guessed it.........a 3 wt.
;)

Woah! You're using a 3wt....for bass? As in smallies? smallmouth? what?.....what are you throwin at em? Pheasant tails? ....I need a little insight here, Im lost........help......HELP!:eek:

I was thinking about gettin a bigger rod for my b-day...9'6 6wt--for bass..and trout. But now I dont know....yall have gotten me confused :confused:

Troutman
03-02-2007, 11:59 AM
We probably should have moved this discussion on over to the WW forum but I would like to give my opinion on this also.
I have caught alot of Largemouths and Smallies on my 3wt. A 9ft. St. Croix LU. It is a fast rod but fishes better with a 4wt line. You can fish small buggers and poppers effectively up to a size 6 hook.
If I need to throw big flies including streamers, a 6wt. is much more effective, especially in windy conditions. I wouldn't want to even attempt throwing a sinking line with a 3wt.
I usually carry my 3wt. and the 6wt. when going to the tailwaters and use which ever one is best for the conditions and flies I'm throwing.
When fishing for any kind of Bass or Carp I don't use anthing less than 3X tippet and keep my drag setting fairly loose for any runs the fish may take, and they will!
MTN TRT, A 6wt. rod is very usefull and would make a very nice B-day gift. It will expand your fishing capabilities to many other species other than trout, and you'll want to travel out west someday and a 3wt. is very difficult to fish on some of those big open streams with gusting winds.
Remember guys, this is just my opinion!

Jack M.
03-02-2007, 12:20 PM
For what it's worth, the rod weight determines the line weight that can be thrown well; line weight, in turn, determines the parameters of the flies that can be thrown well; ability to successfully and quickly play fish of large size is more a function of tippet size than rod weight. You can exhaust a large trout with a 7-weight as easily as with a 3-weight if your tippet is too light. You may exhaust your arm muscles quicker with a 3-weight, and that's about all.

appalachian angler
03-02-2007, 12:38 PM
I recently landed a 20.5" Bow on my Sage SLT 389-2 rod on 7X tippet. I also have a good drag on the reel, and let that do alot of the work! I landed that fish with a friend netting him for me in well under 5 min. If you are afraid of using light tippets, spend the x-tra scratch and buy some froghair (made a believer out of me!). As far as wind goes, the bigger the line, the larger the diameter, the more wind resistance. If you are using small flies, say, 16 & under, a 3 wt will carry 'em through the wind just fine, even with a yarn indicator and small spilt shot. Just open up your stroke alittle, then speed up on the foward cast. You CAN doublehaul with a 3wt rod when needed!

AA

Jswitow
03-02-2007, 03:37 PM
I was thinking that as well. I fish a Scott 5wt g on tailwaters. It is like most other manufacturers 4 wts, except that (I think) it has more backbone. I bet it is no stiffer than the Loomis GLX 3 wt. Rods are all over the map as are lines. Take for instance the SA Mastery Series; the trout line is the lightest, the XPS is heavier and the GPX is heavier still. Most move up to the XPS or GPX with faster (read stiffer) rods. Whatever works for you, works. That is the great thing about this sport, personal preference is king. The soft tips certainly protect tippets on the hook set, as does the soft tip on my G. Don't take that three weight out for Tarpon though!
Best,
John