PDA

View Full Version : Where'd ya get that screen name?

Kevin_Thomas
03-02-2007, 03:49 PM
Just got out my vette, washed it, changed the oil and took a few pics. This is my third Corvette and that's where my screen name comes from...

redc4man = red fourth generation corvette man

How did you guys come up with your screen names?

http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o286/redc4man/P1010593.jpg

Green Weenie
03-02-2007, 04:29 PM
The Green Weenie was the first, and so far the only, fly I have tied that actually caught fish.

Also, I think it's funny...

mtnman2888
03-02-2007, 05:16 PM
Well, the mtn. man part is pretty self explanatory, unfortunately i don't live close enough to the mountains.........
The 28 and 88 come from my work. I work for a team in the motorsports industry and those numbers carry alot of meaning for me.

I think this is a great topic, by the way.

Craig

fishlicker
03-02-2007, 06:06 PM
some folks will probably be bored by this, but I am gonna bore them just the same. LOL

I have to tell you the story of my first internet name....errr..second internet name actually...

Back in 1996 - or was it 97 or 98? Anyway, back a long time ago I was up late one night trying to think of a nickname like all the other cool people had on a trout fishing board that was my home for about 7 years. It was about 3 am and I was a little giddy from the lack of sleep and about my 4th Mountain Dew that night. Then, like a bolt of light'nin it hit me!

FISHLICKER !

Well, before I could stop giggling about it, my wife woke up and demanded that I either come to bed and shut up, or just shut up so she could sleep! But before she went back to bed I asked her what she thought of the name....she rolled her eyes and stumbled back into the bedroom. So, sitting there about to hit the "enter" key and launch the online life of "fishlicker", I had second thoughts about it. . . and I came up with something more in line with my posting habits and nature. You see, all my life I've loved to stay up late. Not so I can sleep in mind you...it's just as if I'm thinking in the back of my head that if I sleep I might miss something. This has only gotten worse with age, I might add and it keeps me up alot even now. So, anyway, at the last minute, I hit the back button ten times, and typed in " NightOwl ." My wife thought I'd made a much better decision as that would keep her from being " Mrs. Fishlicker " online(when I spoke of her)...although now that's become a reality as you can see. :) LOL
People didn't really like typing out "NightOwl" apaprently and it soon got shortened to just "Owl" after a few transformations and name-change operations over the first few years. At different times I logged on as "NiteOwl", "The Owl", "Patriot Owl" ( a few years before 9-11 actually) and just "owl."
Although I never seemed to find any trouble over here on LRO's board, I found plenty elsewhere. I seem to have this habit of saying what I mean( and what I think) without runnning the idea through the 'ole Candy-coating machine. I've been called alot of things by alot of people, from polarizing to troublemaker to some things I can't post. In the past I've been a thorn in the side of the GA DNR and a pesky troublemaker to some TU folks ...but I do manage to have some freinds that understand me and don't run when they see me show up at some gathering of flyfishers. ( Ok, two friends, and yeeeessss one of them is my mother. geesh.):)

So, a few weeks ago, "owl" was being drug through the mud on a site I haven't been on ( in a legit manner anyway) in a couple of years. (And on a side note - remember when you read replies back and forth between two or more people, there may be things going on, or things said offline that you may not know about or even want to know in some cases)I like to have fun and that carries over to practical jokes and poking fun at folks on the net - and some people just don't have a sense of humor or like it when you remind them ...well, of stuff let's just say. So anyway, I'm not the same person I was 8 or 9 years ago, but in internet lore "owl" will always be the guy that started all the flame-wars and insulted everyone he ever met, and has no friends and cheats at cards and robs little old ladies...oh, and plays the victim - boo hoo hoo fer me..whah, whah, whah. :)........... but in real life( and more recently I suppose) I'm not as bad as all that....and I decided to turn my message board over to one of the most active and best qualified members, change my name to the first internet name I had( well, almost) and join in the ranks of the normal posters. I see however, that I'm posting more than the average user still. Sorry about that. :)

Anyway, all that to say that I thought fishlicker was a funny name back in the late 90's and I guess I still do - and I'm mostly a funny guy...........who murders little bunnies in their sleep. ;)

( GOOD HEAVENS, I DON'T HURT LITTLE BUNNIES - IT WAS A JOKE! :p )

Sorry this was three years long, btw. I like to type. It's Mavis Beacon's fault. lol

Oh, and people still call me "owl" though - heck, I have emails and other online stuff with that nic on them - and it's ok really.....I don't hate that guy...I'm just not as much him as I used to be, apparently. :) And that's probably a good thing. But this fishlicker doode is as longwinded as owl ever was huh? hahahahahhaahha

I hope everyone has a great weekend. I have to work, but I'll check in to see if anyone can out bore everyone with their name stories. I'm betting on me though. ha.

Troutman
03-02-2007, 06:30 PM
I was born with it! Its also my last name. My dad is a crappie fisherman and to the best of my knowledge has never caught a trout or ever cast a flyrod. I'm glad my name isn't Crappieman! I would have never lived it down in school!
My aviatar is from a drawing I did. I used to paint and draw alot but now its just a hobby.

patillac
03-02-2007, 07:51 PM
Troutman, hilarious. As soon as I read "my dad is a crappie fisherman", Crappieman was the first thing that popped into my head. Mine came from my sister, a nickname she has called me for a while. Its the only thing that rhymes with Cadillac, to my knowledge. I think it originated from a Snoop Dogg song where he says something about an '83 Cadillac, and I was born in 1983, so I'm an '83 Patillac, cause my names Pat. Get it?

DryFly1
03-02-2007, 08:07 PM
Imagine this: It’s a sunny may 87 degree day on a cool mountain stream. You happen upon a nice long pool with an assortment of small and large rocks. Remaining low you creep ever so close into the perfect position. On one knee and with a few false casts you lay the fly ever so gently on the gin clear water next to a small fallen limb. A small twitch of the fly…a small twitch of the fly… and like a torpedo the water explodes as the caddis gets sucked into a vortex of a large brown trout! Any Questions???

Mark….

mmorgan135
03-02-2007, 08:43 PM
Well my is kinda self explanatory. The MMorgan is for my name Matt Morgan and then the 135 is the weight I wrestled at for my junior and senior year. That time of my life represents some of the hardest work and most dedicated years in my life so far. I would go back and do those last two years again in a heart beat and this time walk away with a 1st place medal in the state. Man I love that sport

Paula Begley
03-02-2007, 09:57 PM
I have no idea where I got my name:p!

ps...as in post script?

The other part, I married. :cool:

I have a real handle on another site I post on...the site that Sarah from Seattle owns (the gal who helped us with our message board conversion). I have well over 1000 posts on that site and have been a member since 2005. Sometimes, I have a hard time remembering where I am posting...I have to remember to sign my posts here as Paula and not my handle from the other site! :eek:

Paula

David Knapp
03-02-2007, 10:17 PM
Born and raised on the Cumberland Plateau...my dad took me fishing as a kid and I became an angler (the fish have regretted THAT ever since:rolleyes:), hence the Plateau Angler came into being!

buckeyetrouter
03-02-2007, 11:37 PM
this one is really simple......I love ff'ing for trout....and I'm a big buckeye fan....hense: buckeyetrouter

Dancing Bear
03-03-2007, 07:49 AM
OK, I got stuck with it in high school. Only very old friends and close new friends know about it. I love bears (but I don't dance anymore) so I still use when needed.

budman
03-03-2007, 08:49 AM
Well mine came from a complete lack of creativity & my job.Over the years I don't know which one I've heard more often- "hey Budman you got any free samples?" or "hey Budman you got any free Dale Jr stuff?". If I had a dime for each time I'd be a very wealthy Budman!

Gerry Romer
03-03-2007, 10:59 AM
I'm not really sure... except that my grandfather's name was William.

MTN_TRT
03-05-2007, 10:02 AM
Well...I love catching native trout (when I first typed "native it came out "naive") and the native trout that call these mountains home, these little mountain creeks, we call mountain trout. They dont get but like 8in and beautiful in color.
When I first came up w/ it I liked it. Then the more I look at it, the more it looks like a license plate....sometimes ppl will stand behind me while I type and say "You should get your screen name as your plate." AWW GOD WILL YOU STOP IT!...excuse me. Anyhoo, I think it defines me..I even use it to sign in at trail registeries (however you spell that).

Grumpy
03-05-2007, 03:47 PM
I don't think i want to answer the question

Grumpy

Griff
03-05-2007, 04:20 PM
Mine is pretty easy also, it's just part of my last name. My Grandfather has gone by "Griff" forever and I always thought that was cool.

ttas67
03-05-2007, 10:17 PM
ttas67 is for my initials, tas. 67 was my highschool football number. now, I'm not one of these guys that got stuck in my highschool football glory years. I signed up for aol years ago and had to pick a screen name. I wanted tas67 but that was taken, so I just added another t. I'ved used that for every screen name, log in, and email address ever since.

Vern
03-05-2007, 11:46 PM
I am the most uncreative one on the board. Vern is my name, Actualy my name is Vernon. But when I moved From WVA to Tn in 1984 people would look at me and say "know what I mean Vern?" It took me a few weeks to figure out what was going on untill saw a Jim Varney commerical. When I started working for my present employer one of the owners was stuck on the Vern joke and it stuck. So in TN I am known as Vern and in WVa Vernon. So I guess it's orginal but not very flyfishing sounding.

one more cast
03-06-2007, 04:35 PM
This is an interesting thread. I'll bite. My screenname comes from thoughts of when I was much younger, fishing with my father who's now long gone. When he hollered that it was time to go, I would always want to stay a little longer. I would ask him for just one more cast. That one always turned into ten.

fishlicker
03-06-2007, 04:52 PM
Mark, yes I have a question....

where's the part where you hook that limb just above the best looking lie in the whole pool? I always have trouble with that part, but you seem to have left it out of your description of the events leading up to a trout hitting a...wait...that's why mines different! :)

Paula...imagine how silly I felt when my wife informed me that I was not "owl" to her and that if I was going to start signing my emails to her " Love, Owl " she was going to have me traded in for an upgraded model!

Grump....you're exempt from this one I think. ;) LOL

Budman, you reminded me of a character from "Office Space" - Michael Bolton....man that was a funny movie if you work out in the working-workforce-world. ( but it's def. NOT for kids, just in case someone hasn't seen it and picks it up. Oooooh, can I do a movie thread on here somewhere? I know...wait..I'll start another thread and find out...)

This is a SUPER thread! You guys that are holding back, let's hear how you got your screen names...come on, you know who you are...rockkisser, stream-urchen, Mr. Waterfall Finder, Flankerfishman, Running-from-Bear-Quickly....let's hear some more before I start posting more. ( Oh, yeah...it really IS possible I promise ya. ;) )

And did you guys know you can only post like 15 smilies icon things on one post? Yeah, really. I know. :) :)

geerona
03-06-2007, 04:55 PM
One more cast,

I'll bet a lot of us could have answered that one for you!

When I was in high school... many years ago now...the guys I played basketball with shortened my first name (gary) to "G" and then coupled my last name (Verona) with it.

Anyone ever hear that song "My Sherona", I'd like to have a dime for everytime someone sings it to me with "my verona" substituted. I just found out recently by accident my son has gets the same thing. Who'd have thunk it!

Wishin' I wuz fishin', g <*))))><

fishlicker
03-06-2007, 05:00 PM
geerona....hmmm.....

I'm sorry. When you have it spelled like that...all together like - I thought you were a girl. :p:eek: Maybe like, from italy or something. heh.

:)

one more cast
03-06-2007, 05:00 PM
geerona,

Yes. I think many a father has heard that line! Sometimes, you'll get a fish on that 3rd cast past the last one!

Paula Begley
03-06-2007, 06:39 PM
And did you guys know you can only post like 15 smilies icon things on one post? Yeah, really. I know.

:pHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!! I wondered who would be the first person to abuse smiley privileges and figure that one out!

I should'a guessed it would be you! ;)

Paula

geerona
03-06-2007, 07:24 PM
fishlicker,

I get the question about being Italian a lot also. Of all places my great granparents migrated to the USA from Belgium before 1900.

I wish I could figure out how to use those daggone "smileys". I can't get them where I want them. I'll get Mrs. geerona to help, she is a lot more computer literate than me.

PS Anyone got "My Sherona"playing in their head and can't get rid of it? Ihate it when that happens!

Paula Begley
03-06-2007, 07:32 PM
geerona, In case you want to spare Mrs. geerona the head ache, click here: http://littleriveroutfitters.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7850 for an answer.

You must enable the supermegabladeeblah smilies...as per the above instructions. Then you simply place your smiley in the text by clicking on it from the smiley menu displayed to the right of the reply box.

Hope this helps.

Paula

MTN_TRT
03-06-2007, 09:13 PM
Geerona,

Geerona, eh? Gee-ron-a. Its kinda fun to say. I thought that it was from like Corona- ya know the 'beverage'

Gosh my name sucks...can I say sucks? Is that bad? Sorry....or I could say--nevermind

geerona
03-07-2007, 08:04 AM
Hello Paula,http://littleriveroutfitters.com/forum/images/icons/icon7.gif

Mrs. Geerona thanks you. She has become accustomed to getting headaches generated by me. You guys at LRO have a great day, we'll be down that way as soon as we get the opportuntiy!

I'll try not to abuse the privileges! HAHAHAHA!!!!http://littleriveroutfitters.com/forum/images/icons/icon10.gif

DryFly1
03-07-2007, 11:30 AM
Mark, yes I have a question....

where's the part where you hook that limb just above the best looking lie in the whole pool?

Hey Fishlicker, I don't know anything about that,I have never been hung up, snagged a branch or lost a fly. I guess I'm an expert! :D

Mark..