PDA

View Full Version : Lower Abrams Creek

PeteCz
03-05-2007, 06:32 PM
Two weeks ago I hiked up to Little Bottoms from Abrams Creek Campground and was wondering how fishable the entire stretch of water is (from the campground). Is it worth the effort? I've heard that Little Bottoms is very good. Any opinions?

mtnman2888
03-05-2007, 10:03 PM
Can't give you too many details because i'm not totally sure, but i believe that area is mostly a place for smallmouth. Now this is just what i've heard, so take it for what it's worth.......... Sorry i couldn't be of any more help, but i'm sure someone on here can help you out.

Craig

cfb61
03-06-2007, 10:27 PM
I have caught rainbow and smallmouth in Abrams between the ranger station and the campground and above. Usually started wading at the ranger station and just never made it too far beyond the campground on stream. Lots of people in the water around the campsites on weekends. I have also heard that the little bottoms area is good fishing, along with the Abrams Falls plunge pool, especially since not many swimmers at this point. This from a book by Don Kirk, Smoky Mountain Trout Fishing, I believe. Where Little Bottoms trail intersects with Cooper Road, the stream is very quiet since it leaves the trail. Good Luck

buzzmcmanus
03-07-2007, 04:43 PM
I've often thought about fishing Little Bottoms, Abrams Creek Campgrounds is just over Chilhowee Mountain from my house and I can get there in less than an hour. I think my Saturday plans are starting to come together. How far of a hike is it to Little Bottoms, and how long did it take you? I had a trail map at one time, but I got married, and can't find half my stuff.

Redfoot
03-07-2007, 04:52 PM
I've often thought about fishing Little Bottoms, Abrams Creek Campgrounds is just over Chilhowee Mountain from my house and I can get there in less than an hour. I think my Saturday plans are starting to come together. How far of a hike is it to Little Bottoms, and how long did it take you? I had a trail map at one time, but I got married, and can't find half my stuff.

If you ever get divorced you won't be able to find the other half. Just kidding.
It has been a while, but it is no more than 2 hours.3-4 miles. I had a full pack on and remember it being a moderately strenuous hike. A lot of ups and downs. Good campsite though. With no gear you should not sweat that much.

buzzmcmanus
03-07-2007, 05:04 PM
Redfoot, Thanks

Jack M.
03-07-2007, 05:12 PM
http://home.comcast.net/~jmanderino/lowabrm.jpg

Download the whole map from here http://www.nps.gov/grsm/planyourvisit/maps.htm

sammcdonald
03-07-2007, 06:39 PM
or stop in the visitor centers and purchase the map for $1 and it has the entire back full of info, is much larger than the d/l, and the $1 goes to the park (generally for seasonal rangers pay). with a free park, $1 isn't much to donate for a map.

littlerivermike
03-07-2007, 10:23 PM
At Abrams Creek Campground this past Sunday with some friends....Watched a large beaver in and out of water for about 15 minutes. Have seen many beaver signs in Park but this was first visual of beaver...about the size of a large groundhog.

buzzmcmanus
03-08-2007, 10:36 AM
Jack M. That looks like the map I once owned. How do I know when I get to little bottoms, is it somewhere near campsite 17?

littlerivermike, The section of Abrams Creek near the campground also has a family of otters. We'll go watch them some evenings. Alot of times, you can find them in one of the pools to the right of the non-camping parking lot, just before dark. They're interesting to watch, they put on quite a show.

Jack M.
03-08-2007, 11:13 AM
Jack M. That looks like the map I once owned. How do I know when I get to little bottoms, is it somewhere near campsite 17?

littlerivermike, The section of Abrams Creek near the campground also has a family of otters. We'll go watch them some evenings. Alot of times, you can find them in one of the pools to the right of the non-camping parking lot, just before dark. They're interesting to watch, they put on quite a show.

I've never been there. I just grabbed a shot from the on-line map (the trail map at the link I shared) which showed the Abrams Creek Campground and the trails that would take you all the way to the falls. Someone else will need to clue you as to what section is known as "Little Bottoms." Though, if I had to guess, I would guess it is the area right around where the two tributaries come in upstream of #17 backcountry campsite.

PeteCz
03-09-2007, 08:13 PM
Little Bottoms Campground is indeed #17 on the map. I think I've seen that it's about 2.5 miles from the Ranger station below Abrams Creek Campground (although it felt a bit longer...). It is a moderately strenuous hike with about a 300ft elevation gain and loss (each way). There is a ridge you crossover that accounts for all the elevation. It took me about an hour and 15 minutes to get to the Little Bottoms Campground. The trail comes down to Abrams Creek quite a ways before you get the campground and it looks very fishable, but who knows? I'd hate to hike that distance to get shutout (knowing there are so many other good spots to fish inside the park, that don't take nearly that amount of effort).

The stretch of river that is away from the trail (starting about .7 miles from the ranger station) looks great at a distance as well, but would require a fair amount of bushwacking to get there and would be a tremendous pain getting out of, and up the embankment back to the trail.

I'm probably going to try it out later this month and I'll let you know how it goes...unless of course, its too good to talk about....;)

HikeandFish
03-11-2007, 10:53 PM
The bottom section of Abrams Creek (Ranger Station to Abrams Falls) is very productive early in the Spring. There are some lake run rainbows that enter the stream in late winter. These fish run 13-18" (my experience) and look more like steelhead than typical GSMNP rainbows. They are a blast to catch, since they run so much larger than average Smokie's trout. I found the section were Abrams Creek first meets the Little Bottoms Trail upstream to Rabbit Creek very productive and beautiful. However, these areas are somewhat remote, the stream is well below the trail, and it requires a couple miles of stream walking. These areas reqiure plenty of time and stamina and are not for the faint of heart. Take emergency supplies with you in a day pack. If you go alone and are hurt it could be a while before someone finds you. Also keep your rod in a tube until you reach the creek, you will need both hands to climb down. I am not sure it wise to post this since I may be viewed as a "kiss and tell fisherman". However, these areas require considerable effort to fish and most people won't make the effort. Anyway I need a little company, I have never meet another fisherman on these sections! I really can't say what my flyfishing skill level is (probably average) but by fishing remote areas I sometimes catch big fish!
The wildlife viewing is also good, plenty of river otters, rattlesnakes and minks.

Jswitow
03-12-2007, 04:03 PM
It has now been quite a few years since I fished back toward Little Bottoms. That ridge you have to climb before beginning the descent into Little Bottoms should be called "Death Ridge"! In the spring there are more trout than there will be in the summer, slick as snot though! It's a good hike! I am remembering it to be around 6 miles round trip. I would like to make the trip just for smallmouth now.
Best,
John

Jswitow
03-13-2007, 01:44 PM
Hey Hike and Fish,
Is it too late for the lake run fish to still be up there?
I am always interested in "Lakers".
Any info would be greatly appreciated. I fish for them in Robbinsville on Snowbird, but the creek is closed now and they always seem to be gone by the time the creek reopens in April.
Thanks,
John

Chuckwalla
03-13-2007, 06:26 PM
Fished it a couple times last year in the summer. No trout, but did get a few small mouth. That first ridge is a killer.

Bwt, I counted 11 snakes between the trail head and CS#17.

HikeandFish
03-13-2007, 09:54 PM
Hi Jswitow,

The first weekend I fished Abrams last year was March 18-19, 2007. On my third cast I caught a 15 inch laker (rainbow) from a pool about .2 miles downstream of campsite #17. Caught a couple more lakers during this weekend but smaller, 12-13 inches. The weather that weekend was sunny 50-55 degress F. Water temperature was 45-50 degress F.

Had a better weekend on April 1 and 2, 2006 caught a 17 inch laker upstream of Little Bottoms. This weekend I caught a total of 24 fish and 18 were 12 inches or larger. Water temperature 55-60 degrees.

I love Abrams creek during the early Spring, backpack in, stay a couple of days, and fry a couple fish each night. Life is good!

Always caught my lakers on Lepage hares ear nymphs size 12-14. Keep the fly bouncing off the bottom and you can't help but catch a few.

I hope this helps.

I want to warn you, you will need time and energy to fish these areas, especially if you day hike in.

For those interested in reaching Little Bottoms (Campsite # 17) here are the directions: At the Abrams Creek Campground take the Cooper Road trail for 1.5 miles to the Little Bottoms Trail, follow this trail for 1.3 miles until you reach the large grove of hemlocks with the steal cables for bear bagging. One good 300 foot climb (vertical elevation change) and several smaller ups and downs. Little Bottoms trail is one of the few manways in the park and was used by early settlers in the area. Most trails in the park were constructed by the CCC, this one was not.

Jswitow
03-14-2007, 01:57 PM
Hike and Fish,
Thanks sounds like you had a good weekend! I used to day hike in and out of there, not sure I am up to these days! I wonder if many people paid attention to what you said. You may be temporarily sorry if the crowds show up!
Good to hear though that the fish stay that long. As I say most of them seem to be gone on Snowbird by the first week of April, though we do catch some 14-16" rainbows in April. And this year my luck was not as good as the last 4 years. My personal best was 17". A good fish but I have done better on numbers and fish in years past. There were quite a few in the 13-15" range.
Anyway thanks, may see you up there one day, I'll be the tired skinny guy!
Best,
John

Chuckwalla
03-14-2007, 02:15 PM
Question: The last time I hiked in there, the trail was in poor condiction ( downed trees, no makers, ect). How is it now?

PeteCz
03-15-2007, 02:13 PM
The trail's not one of the better ones in the park, but its very passable. I was there about 3 weeks ago and its in OK shape (no major obstacles). Marking is another story, but once you clear the ridge the trail follows Abrams Creek, so you are OK.

The Cooper Road Trail, when it leaves Abrams Creek, is not in as good shape. But again, its very easy to follow.

lauxier
03-15-2007, 05:08 PM
have fished little bottoms several times---in the fall you can catch rainbows--and smallmouth---not much current---nymphs work good---have not fished it in spring--summer,is good,they say,but there are lots of snakes cause of the quiet water,terrestrials work good-Paul Hardy,who used to fish Abrams to death,once told me that Little Bottoms had wonderful fishing if you quiet,and sneaky,did not wade much(stayed out of the water),and was sneaky--he called it being sniper-sneaky-I pictured a marine sniper moving slowwww through weeds approaching the target slowly perfectly camafloged etc.I asked if that was what he meant--he said--yeah i guess---

lauxier
03-15-2007, 05:10 PM
this was supposed to be a reply to abrams thread--posted earlier

Paula Begley
03-16-2007, 05:05 PM
Lauxier

I merged it for you.

Paula