PDA

View Full Version : Biggest Hemlock is in the Smokies

russ
03-07-2007, 11:47 AM
Thought some of you all might find this interesting. I think I know exactly where this tree is.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/17474658/

sammcdonald
03-07-2007, 06:42 PM
it's very close to the huge poplar and up to wooly tops up false creek. off trail and very scenic, but can be somewhat of a task after a heavy rain or wind event.

Giantfish
03-07-2007, 11:22 PM
SAVE THE HEMLOCKS, I got that shirt! That must be a tall tree! I would love to se it! (hint, hint!) I love the hemlocks any info on how there doin?

Giantfish

sammcdonald
03-08-2007, 05:48 PM
every shirt treats a hemlock. the tree is the most populous in the park and therefore the cost of the battle is gonna be very high. there are lots of small hemlocks on both cove mountain trail, laurel falls trail, and little briar trail that are not infected ...... yet

sammcdonald
03-08-2007, 06:19 PM
now to your wanting to know how to get there......it's off trail. non-maintained....and so there can be no hope of help if you are lost or hurt. your cell will not work.
do you really want to do this???

psnapp
03-08-2007, 07:56 PM
So, Sam! After this pm's meeting with EXe mgmt, are you asking if I really wanna go off-trail and get lost! You bet I do! Give me the mis-directions!

Giantfish
03-08-2007, 10:41 PM
U know I would go, I'm a survivor man! I could take any threat!

sammcdonald
03-09-2007, 11:42 AM
hey phil! go to greenbriar, turn left toward ramsey, immediately on the right will be a gate...park. follow road to where it turns left and trail continues to right along creek. (if you decide to go left, you will end up in the plemmons cemetery). anywho, follow the trail along the huge rock walls and fallen chimneys for about 3 miles....you will come upon the huge poplar and the biggest hemlock. the trail has some blow downs and areas where it barely a trail, but you will get there. between 6-7 mile round trip.