PDA

View Full Version : Townsend?

Giantfish
03-07-2007, 11:33 PM
Ok this is a little creepy but, I happened to eat luch by a grave of a civil war soldier on a field trip last year! Guess what his name was...........R.L. Townsend! Weird...I want to know the history of Townsend, oh and this guy was from South Carolina, a confederate, died by saving someone. I just never heard the history of Townsend!
Oh and also I told him that if he could here me to make the wind blow, and it did! It may have just been a cowensedence! (can't spell!)

Thanks
Giantfish

Paula Begley
03-08-2007, 08:33 AM
Giantfish

This is short, but a little information. Townsend was originally Tuckaleechee Cove and was inhabited by various Indian tribes most notably the Cherokees. It was known as a *white* village, or a place of spiritual healing and peace.

Townsend got its current name from Colonel W. B. Townsend, owner of the Little River Lumber Company, which was responsible for the logging of most of the eastern Smokies in the early 1900's. W. B. Townsend was from Pennsylvania, so I don't know if the Townsend grave you saw could have been related directly to W.B.

There is a fabulous new museum in Townsend, The Heritage Museum, that you should plan on visiting when you and your Dad come to fish.

Paula

ttas67
03-08-2007, 10:21 AM
good info, paula. I just always assumed it was townsend because it was where the town ended before it turned into the wilderness. I guess it wasn't originally that way, but it's a fitting name today!

Giantfish
03-08-2007, 10:46 PM
Opppps! I was wrong, I looked him up he was from pennsilvnia! really weird, but cool also, I ate next to a guy that might be related to the founder of Townsend, he may be in the wind! just kidding, wow it is a small world.
I got South Carolina from another grave, got the two mixed up! They may be related if so, THAT IS REALLY COOL! I donated to the cemetary also, soI was helping out a may be founders brothe, or uncle, or dad, or cousin............

Giantfish

Vern
03-09-2007, 01:15 PM
Gaintfish your great-great-great-great garandfather on your mothers side was in the revolutionary war. He was awarded the land around Burgess Fall near Sparta tn. He is buried in the Elrod garve yard. he orginaly owner the falls. On my side just a bunch of old hillbillies.

Gerry Romer
03-09-2007, 10:19 PM
If I'm not mistaken, isn't the last road on the right as you're heading into the park is named Town's End?

Gerry

Paula Begley
03-09-2007, 10:22 PM
Gerry,

It is indeed!

Paula

ijsouth
03-09-2007, 10:49 PM
Geneology is really neat...I was really into it about 10 years ago - spent a lot of time in the Louisiana history section of the New Orleans public library, squinting at microfilm. You never know what you'll find.